• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sudden high idle temp on 5800x

Soldato
OP
I think curve optimiser -15 worked for me, if you want to get temps down further.

As you've found out, anything which maintains a single core load will keep the chip in a state where it will attempt to use PBO for single threads which is something like 1.5v. Which is made worse on the 5800X because of the concentration of heat on the 7nm die.

cheers dude. Was it only -15 through curve optimiser or did you have to change other things?

Soldato
cheers dude. Was it only -15 through curve optimiser or did you have to change other things?

Just curve optimiser. Added benefit that it provides headroom.

Board was this.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M Pro4/

Running memory at 3600mhz with a 1:1 memory divider.

In the winter would easily idle at 25C as long as you had everything closed. But 40C is more realistic with stuff in the background.

Also if you are only getting high temps after a while, try and find out what ambient inside the case is after a while. You can usually just check the temperature of your GPU at idle as long as it doesn't use some stopped fan feature.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@muon thank mate.

On a different subject considering upgrading the cooler to a D15s but while my brain logic dictates this would offer better cooling, the reviews I ahve seem comparing it to a u12s are mixed.

Soldato
@muon thank mate.

On a different subject considering upgrading the cooler to a D15s but while my brain logic dictates this would offer better cooling, the reviews I ahve seem comparing it to a u12s are mixed.

Depends on your goal. Under heavy sustained load the D15s will be better and will rival top AIOs.

If however, you really just wanted it to idle cooler and be less susceptible to short loads, then you'd be better off with an AIO. AIOs are able to deal with short loads really well as the water takes a while to heat up.

The 5800X simply has a higher concentration of of heat. More power usage per die (check the cross tabs):

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1621...e-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/8

It's nothing to be that worried about. The 5600X uses less on a 2 thread load as it targets a lower clock speed, and the 5900X/5950X can split 2 threads across 2 dies allowing it to dissipate heat better.

Also interesting is that the 5900X/5950X actually use less power once you start using more than 8 threads as it starts to reduce clock speed.

Soldato
OP
"If however, you really just wanted it to idle cooler and be less susceptible to short loads, then you'd be better off with an AIO. AIOs are able to deal with short loads really well as the water takes a while to heat up".

Exactly this to be honest, though I have space I'm not fussed on an AIO and want to stay air cooler.

Associate
Not sure if mentioned already, but are you running 3DMark? If so, it more often than not leaves SystemHelper (paraphrasing, but you should see it in Task Mgnr) which continually runs checks on your sys. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my 5800x was idling so high and that was the culprit.

I also had a similar odyssey with my 5800x temps where anything near stock voltage 1.45v peak would spike my temps to 90c (on an Adata Levante AIO, no less). The only thing that brought my temps down was undervolting heavily voltage limit to 1.3v at which I can still overclock to 4.8Ghz. I was able to get all the way to -25 stable, but curve optimizer did next to nothing to help my temps. I was also considering returning mine, but while it's a raging inferno at stock vcore, it's a champion undervolter/overclocker.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used some settings suggested by Joxeon to set up PBO.

My temps are ~ 27c idle and ~ 65c load but am using a 360mm AIO.

Might give them a try as when I tried before off another big 5800 thread never worked.

5800x is hotter than other CPU's but its not really really hot as some people claim.
It just needs a decent cooler.

At the moment when gaming it doesnt go over 65c and benchmarking maxes at 71/72c.
Also depends on the game as in some it will be around 50c.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if mentioned already, but are you running 3DMark? If so, it more often than not leaves SystemHelper (paraphrasing, but you should see it in Task Mgnr) which continually runs checks on your sys. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my 5800x was idling so high and that was the culprit.

I also had a similar odyssey with my 5800x temps where anything near stock voltage 1.45v peak would spike my temps to 90c (on an Adata Levante AIO, no less). The only thing that brought my temps down was undervolting heavily voltage limit to 1.3v at which I can still overclock to 4.8Ghz. I was able to get all the way to -25 stable, but curve optimizer did next to nothing to help my temps. I was also considering returning mine, but while it's a raging inferno at stock vcore, it's a champion undervolter/overclocker.

I found the same with curve optimiser so may go the voltage limiter route.

I think a D15 is needed... :D

Edit : @harmattan what settings did you change and to what? Hoping I can replicate your success

Soldato
It could be a faulty temp sensor. Maybe try changing the offset. 20 degrees is exactly the offset between reported and actual Tj

Associate
I found the same with curve optimiser so may go the voltage limiter route.

I think a D15 is needed... :D

Edit : @harmattan what settings did you change and to what? Hoping I can replicate your success

I settled on 1.28v peak at 4.7Ghz (I left optimizer at -15, but doesn't seem to make a difference). That was the best intersection between Cinebench and 3DMark scores and temps (now 45c idle/74c load). Like I said, this thing's a barn burner at stock voltage, but undervolts/overclocks like an absolute champ. If I was to guess I got a golden die with a badly-soldered spreader. I haven't seen heat output like this at stock voltage since Prescott days.

Soldato
I settled on 1.28v peak at 4.7Ghz (I left optimizer at -15, but doesn't seem to make a difference). That was the best intersection between Cinebench and 3DMark scores and temps (now 45c idle/74c load). Like I said, this thing's a barn burner at stock voltage, but undervolts/overclocks like an absolute champ. If I was to guess I got a golden die with a badly-soldered spreader. I haven't seen heat output like this at stock voltage since Prescott days.

Try an Intel chip. They will resolve their own solder issues by maintaining the solder in a constant molten state.

Associate
Try an Intel chip. They will resolve their own solder issues by maintaining the solder in a constant molten state.

Like I said... Prescott. Those were fun days. I could literally shut my heat off during the middle of winter in 0°F temperatures and my room was still toasty.

To this day, "Intel Prescott" autocompletes to "...heat, hot, burning" when you Google.

Soldato
Like I said... Prescott. Those were fun days. I could literally shut my heat off during the middle of winter in 0°F temperatures and my room was still toasty.

To this day, "Intel Prescott" autocompletes to "...heat, hot, burning" when you Google.

The TDP of the P4 wasn’t that bad. Well not in a desktop. The laptop was terrible. For real heat 771/5 was impressive. I had a B3 core 2 quad that was an overclocking champ but heat off it was incredible. SkullTrail with FB-DIMM’s was was another space heater.

Back
Top Bottom