Odd RAM issue

Associate
Afternoon all.

Was using my PC last night, playing a bit of NMS.
Finished playing, pottered about for another 15 mins or so, then shut the system down.

This morning, no Post- Amber light on mobo, fans spinning, but no life at all. Wouldn't even get to BIOS splash screen.
Switched it off at the wall, took battery out and left it while I went to work, fired it back up when I got home, still nothing.
Managed to boot with one stick of RAM, but two sticks (in A2 and B2) won't boot at all. Been using 4 sticks without issue since I got the 5800X, so not sure exactly what's gone on here.
Anyone got any ideas? Was on second-latest BIOS (5851), flashed to latest 5854 but no difference. Everything at default setting, specs in sig.

Have I knackered something?

Associate
OP
Bump.

More to the point, is it more likely to be a mobo issue, or a CPU issue?

Managed to boot it once yesterday with 2 sticks, but system was unresponsive, with no USB action at all.
Restarted, and once again wouldn't boot.

Have dismantled everything, to try a reseat & rebuild before I start replacing parts...

Associate
OP
Sounds like a component somewhere might be on its last legs, possibly a stick of memory. Can you try a different pair from a known good system?

Every stick will boot on its own. Anything in the B slots (ie dual channel) gives the amber DRAM led and no go...
It's either mobo or cpu, imho- need to chuck my old 2700X in to see what happens, but flat out at work this week!

Even with 1 stick, the board needs a couple of bites to boot up, and that's at stock 2400.
Kinda hoping it's the CPU, as I can RMA it. Board is well out of warranty.

Associate
That does sound to me like the motherboard is the issue, unfortunately. If it's old enough to be out of warranty there's a higher chance it's at fault, all things being equal.

Associate
OP
Thanks, @GloriousMess
Just taken a gamble, and ordered an X570 Tomahawk board (from OCUK, of course!). If it turns out to be the chip at fault, then I'll flog the old board off and recoup a bit of dosh!

Chuffed I remembered thermal paste too, that would've been an ache in the spheroids if I'd forgotten that... :)

Associate
This thread seems to be identical to this one https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...verything-beer-for-whoever-fixes-it.18937056/

i believe the main culprit is the memory.. as i have the same issue in my Intel rig. Yes individual sticks may work (works for me), but adding more than 2 sticks and in its correct slot configuration result in the machine not posting. Change the memory to a different manufacturer.. speed wise does not matter and see if that boots.

BTW running memtest on my memory both individually (so running 4 test all 4 sticks) or all at once (since i can get to BIOS but not further), all of which pass fine but still no post

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom