LCD Lightgun? Yes please.

Associate
i've tried to set mine up for about 3 weeks now .its annoying far too complex and overall a very overrated experience. it works sometimes but there are too many variables. its gone in the draw of good ideas but too much messing about.

Caporegime
I finally got my gun but still unable to play a game. The PC picks up the gun and I can calibrate but as soon as I launch a game in LB - no border appears and so the gun doesn't work.

Soldato
I finally got my gun but still unable to play a game. The PC picks up the gun and I can calibrate but as soon as I launch a game in LB - no border appears and so the gun doesn't work.
Might be worth hoping on to the discord channel to troubleshoot. Out of interest what game are you trying to play and have you tried windowed rather than full screen?

Edit: Just realised what LB is - Have you checked settings of the emulator to see if you can add a border in full screen mode?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Might be worth hoping on to the discord channel to troubleshoot. Out of interest what game are you trying to play and have you tried windowed rather than full screen?

Edit: Just realised what LB is - Have you checked settings of the emulator to see if you can add a border in full screen mode?
Thank you. I have made some progress, but it's still not working. Found this guide and got the border working on in the Retroarch menus, but some button configs don't match the guide. And when I load Duck Hunt, no button works at all.

Soldato
Thank you. I have made some progress, but it's still not working. Found this guide and got the border working on in the Retroarch menus, but some button configs don't match the guide. And when I load Duck Hunt, no button works at all.

There is a guy on YouTube called Titch who does set up videos, might be worth checking out:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUVzir1WbNl5nFDQ1Njk4fuIZNLFU8d-S

Failing that I'd recommend hopping on to the Sinden Discord channel, there are plenty of others who will be able to help out:

https://discord.gg/AQE7EdfH

Caporegime
There is a guy on YouTube called Titch who does set up videos, might be worth checking out:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUVzir1WbNl5nFDQ1Njk4fuIZNLFU8d-S

Failing that I'd recommend hopping on to the Sinden Discord channel, there are plenty of others who will be able to help out:

https://discord.gg/AQE7EdfH
Thanks again, already working my through these videos. And here's me hoping I could get it all set up on a Pi for going to see a friend next weekend, I can't even get it to work on my HTPC :p:o.

Caporegime
Really not having any luck with this. Now trying it on my main rig as it's easier to set up (HTPC doesn't have a mouse or keyboard). The gun won't start, and when it tries to update the firmware, the program just closes part way through.

Edit - joined the Discord channel.

Last edited:
Soldato
This thread is genuinely the reason I didn't get one, but actually sourced a brand new GunCon 2 and a refurbed PS2 so I can play Time Crisis and Virtua Cop again. I did intend to emulate and use the Sinden, but I don't think being an early adopter is the move. Bring on Sinden Mk 2!!

Caporegime
Mine is a late birthday present and we both knew it would require a little tinkering. I think I have definitely drawn the short straw, a mix of inaccurate tinkering and just bad luck (so far).

It's currently my HTPC where the gun works but I have yet to get it working in an emulator vs my main rig where the gun doesn't get picked up/start*.........:cry:

*leading theory is it's not getting enough power via USB but it still doesn't work with everything but the mouse unplugged.

Edit - success. I have it working on one game on one emulator. Doing this on a per game basis is going to be fun lol!

Edit - A few learning points...
  • It does not play well with RetroArch due to input config issues
  • I also had issues with MAME (crashed when launching a game) but Arcade64 worked fine
  • I still have no idea why the gun suddenly started working on my main rig - only changes I had made was a DX Endtime user update and my GFX card drivers (AMD)
  • You have to do a bit of .ini tweaking - one for the main MAME.ini to turn on a few gun features and then paste a second that came with the Siden software
  • Probably should have got the non recoil version as I haven't even got it to work yet, feel like it wouldn't add that much

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched a video on YouTube featuring Glen from Glen's Retro Show. He has made excellent modern reproductions of arcade peripherals including a Star Wars Yoke, a Tron joystick, and others. He said he's been working on a lightgun system for modern displays that doesn't require a light bar. It's nearly ready but the covid situation and the chip and component shortage means it's difficult to get it finished right now. Plus it's difficult to even get containers to ship the finished product too.

I've got one of his Star Wars yokes and a button hole spinner and they're quality devices. If Glen says he's got a working lightgun, I believe him. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, as I'd love one for my Mame cab.

Associate
  • It does not play well with RetroArch due to input config issues

I have it working fairly well in Retroarch, it works well when set to DX12/11.

There was only one game I couldn't get working which was a Naomi game because it needed to go into the test menu, and for the life of me I couldn't seem to do it.

Everything else works well..

Caporegime
I have it working fairly well in Retroarch, it works well when set to DX12/11.

There was only one game I couldn't get working which was a Naomi game because it needed to go into the test menu, and for the life of me I couldn't seem to do it.

Everything else works well..
Thank you, will have another bash with RA. Tinkering ahoy :).

Associate
Thank you, will have another bash with RA. Tinkering ahoy :).
Mame, Duckstation, Dolphin, Flycast working great..
Forgot what I used for the older consoles, it's been about a month since I last had a blast.

Yeah, for some strange reason only DX11/12 works well.. as soon as you set it to that you will be able to shoot the calibration screens on Duckstation Time Crisis and Point Blank games.

See how you go, if you struggle I will see if I can upload my Retroarch with ahk's to boot straight to games.

Can't do it yet as I am recovering from illness, but have no problems doing that if you run into difficulty.

Caporegime
Mame, Duckstation, Dolphin, Flycast working great..
Forgot what I used for the older consoles, it's been about a month since I last had a blast.

Yeah, for some strange reason only DX11/12 works well.. as soon as you set it to that you will be able to shoot the calibration screens on Duckstation Time Crisis and Point Blank games.

See how you go, if you struggle I will see if I can upload my Retroarch with ahk's to boot straight to games.

Can't do it yet as I am recovering from illness, but have no problems doing that if you run into difficulty.
Thanks again and hope you get better soon!

Caporegime
How authentic does the Sinden feel compared to the old school Time Crisis machine? I'm looking at buying a premade cabinet to try and get as close as possible, but looks like they only provide the Aimtrak guns which look a bit gash with the reticle on the screen.

Soldato
How authentic does the Sinden feel compared to the old school Time Crisis machine? I'm looking at buying a premade cabinet to try and get as close as possible, but looks like they only provide the Aimtrak guns which look a bit gash with the reticle on the screen.

I would imagine little will compare to those Namco arcade guns. I found the home experience lacking back in the day because of those light guns!

However, I have seen kits you can buy for Gun4IR, which is an alternative to the Sinden but uses IR sensors. I have also heard these can have overheating issues. So might want to do some more research.

Edit: This actually looks pretty amazing!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

It's very good, but not perfect. Weight and construction of the gun is good. The recoil isn't as strong as there's less mass moving as the slide doesn't move. The trigger is...ok. it's just a small microswitch, it's pretty much like most home lightguns tbh. I'm thinking about trying to come up with a mod that will bring a more chunky feel.

And I also hate the reticle on screen. Other than the white border, this is the best so far. Significantly better than the some of the IR or Wiimote based guns I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom