• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Permabanned
Yet nobody cared till the consoles came along and started using them.
I can smell the desperation from here. pathetic

There has been and still is little need on the PC for such tech. Remember consoles have always been budget and power restricted. I think they used cheap 5400RPM drives. Direct Storage is a great tech for reducing both system and video RAM requirements, while tackling one of the consoles biggest issues, loading times.

In comparrison, even in my old Ivy Bridge system, I have four 4TB SATA SSDs , one 1TB SATA SSD and 32GB of RAM.

Permabanned
There has been and still is little need on the PC for such tech. Remember consoles have always been budget and power restricted. I think they used cheap 5400RPM drives. Direct Storage is a great tech for reducing both system and video RAM requirements, while tackling one of the consoles biggest issues, loading times.

In comparrison, even in my old Ivy Bridge system, I have four 4TB SATA SSDs , one 1TB SATA SSD and 32GB of RAM.

Something with you is very wrong. Are you a silly troll or what?

Explain - when did the PC solve any of these issues:

Here's a few of Sony's goals with the SSD:
Boots in a second
No load screens
Ultra high-speed streaming
De-duplicate game data
No long patch installs
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7133...-with-custom-12-channel-controller/index.html

Permabanned

Explain - when the the PC solve any of these issues:

Boots in a second
No load screens
De-duplicate game data
No long patch installs
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7133...-with-custom-12-channel-controller/index.html

Really? What are you using right now?

PC's have had fast boot and fast resume for more years than I can remember.

No load screens, Ultra high-speed streaming,No long patch installs - This is all dependant on how the software is written to take advantage of the PCIe4 NVMe drive. BTW. PCIe5 NVMe drives are already on the horizon. I remember one game on the ZX Spectrum allowed you to play breakout while the main title loaded from cassette.

What is De-duplicate game data? I'm guessing a rountine to find and remove duplicate files. Google will help your find one for your PC.

Soldato
No load screens, Ultra high-speed streaming,No long patch installs - This is all dependant on how the software is written to take advantage of the PCIe4 NVMe drive..
And what is the biggest gaming platform for multiplatform games that dictates how studios allocate resources and what features are implemented, essentially forcing these devs to use these features or get left behind? Hint: It's not PC.

What is De-duplicate game data? I'm guessing a rountine to find and remove duplicate files. Google will help your find one for your PC.
It is the removal of duplicate game assets from game installs. Rather than having the same postbox data stored 10 times in a game install you only need it once. Go watch the road to PS5 event.

Man of Honour
De-duplicating game data isn't always a good thing, unless you have carnal knowledge of why the developer did it that way. Sometimes with games the only way to implement a feature is to take a non-standard approach :(

Soldato
De-duplicating game data isn't always a good thing, unless you have carnal knowledge of why the developer did it that way. Sometimes with games the only way to implement a feature is to take a non-standard approach :(
From the road to PS5 talk the reason for duplicating data is quicker access on a HDD. Do you have any examples as to why you would want to keep it in a game installed on an SSD?

Man of Honour
From the road to PS5 talk the reason for duplicating data is quicker access on a HDD. Do you have any examples as to why you would want to keep it in a game installed on an SSD?

Depends a bit on the de-duplicating process involved - when I read about it awhile back it seemed more like an automated process taken away from the game developer - the new material seems to suggest it is something the developer has more control over.

Duplicated data isn't always about reducing time spent seeking data on the HDD sometimes it is used for instance so as to stage the game for a later expansion or content update where some of the duplicates will be swapped out later - but if the developer has some control over that then it is a non-issue.

Permabanned
And what is the biggest gaming platform for multiplatform games that dictates how studios allocate resources and what features are implemented, essentially forcing these devs to use these features or get left behind? Hint: It's not PC.

I've said many times that I don't want my PC gaming held back to console levels. This and lazy devs is why I can still play the latest games with RT maxed out on an Ivy Bridge system.

It is the removal of duplicate game assets from game installs. Rather than having the same postbox data stored 10 times in a game install you only need it once. Go watch the road to PS5 event.

That would make sense given the lack of local storage with the basic unit.

Soldato

Explain - when did the PC solve any of these issues:

Boots in a second
No load screens
De-duplicate game data
No long patch installs

You do realize Wrinkly is a hardcore Nvidia fanatic right? Can you guess why he is hating on consoles now? HINT: Consoles are AMD based.....

Permabanned
You do realize Wrinkly is a hardcore Nvidia fanatic right? Can you guess why he is hating on consoles now? HINT: Consoles are AMD based.....

Wrong, I just follow the tech., the PC tech. The last console I had was a Sega Master System. You do realise this is a PC enthusiast forum?

Soldato
Wrong, I just follow the tech., the PC tech. The last console I had was a Sega Master System. You do realise this is a PC enthusiast forum?

Did you know that console gaming is what the gaming industry is built on? If it wasn't for consoles reaching the mainstream on a budget I doubt that we would have had such a big industry where pc 'enthusiasts' can act all elitist.

Permabanned
Did you know that console gaming is what the gaming industry is built on? If it wasn't for consoles reaching the mainstream on a budget I doubt that we would have had such a big industry where pc 'enthusiasts' can act all elitist.

No, I had no idea. Here was me thinking that all these decades ago people were selling their kidneys for a high end gaming PC when you are telling me they settled for a cheap console.

I don't think those who prefer nice things are elitist. If you can get better, why would you settle for less?

Soldato
OP
They were all developed within the PC environment.

Streaming from PCIe has been available since it's inception. SCSI support for full command queuing with DMA transfers goes back decades. There is nothing new here. I recently read that Microsoft's Direct Storage API will support PCIe Gen 3, which dates back to 2010.

UE5's technologies are developed on PC. They were demo'd on console to showcase console potential.

The only reason you see titles make use of such techniques on console first is that the every PS5 is same as every other PS5.

Yeah this is the ****** thing with PC gaming - we pay premium prices for hardware several years ahead of when we can actually get the full use out of it

Associate
The F2P battle royale game Vampire The Masquerade Bloodhunt now supports FSR.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/760160/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Bloodhunt/
vbop1.jpg

Associate
Vampire games are usually interesting with their dark atmospheric settings but since this is just a battle royal game, I will probably skip this one and wait for hopefully a good Far Cry 6 experience instead.

Back
Top Bottom