• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Bottleneck? Ryzen 9 3900x & RTX 3080 Ti

Soldato
It’s impossible to diagnose what the Nvidia card is doing. It’s clear when you compare RDNA2 to Ampere, that Ampere is using a lot more CPU time, but what is actually going on is a mystery because of Nvidia’s black box approach. I don’t even think games developers have the ability to see what is happening.

Associate
latency in ms for GPU and CPU in warzone.
GPU time: 3-4 ms
CPU time: 9-11 ms
Very good initial analysis.
This is aligned with what you are experiencing. GPU is fast enough to run 250+fps (1000/4ms/frame = 250fps), while CPU is struggling to reach 90-110fps (1000/11 = 90 fps).
So clearly CPU is holding you back.
I would guess that nothing is actually wrong with your settings. Maybe some 5% could be gained by spending time to overclock CPU and memory, not worth it imo.

To get a bigger improvement, upgrade to Zen3 5800X as recommended above.
This alone should give 15+% fps in warzone, without changing anything else. And it opens an option of getting faster memory later (3900X will struggle with anything above 3200)

5900X and 5950X will be a marginal gain over it (say 1-2%), although I am not familiar with warzone and how much it likes additional cores.

PS. Stumbled upon this, may be worth a try:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/l0rco2/psa_cod_warzone_is_not_playing_well_with_amd_cpu/

Associate
anyone ever tried the 1usmus ClockTuner for Ryzen?
Did some research and seems like an "easy" overclock for a beginner like myself

Unless it's somehow been improved I seriously wouldn't bother. I used it on my 3900x and it was great for a high cinebench or other artificial benchmark, but gaming performance was dreadful.

Soldato
You will want a 5950X and tuned RAM to get the most in Warzone (or a 10900K) - I don't think Zen2 will cut it if you are after max possible frames.

Edit: Should add that with my 5800X and 3600 CL16 RAM it is good for 140+ in most places so might be an easier upgrade for the 144Hz screen you have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom