• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty 3080?

Associate
Hello there,

I received a Inno Ichillx4 3080 a month or so ago and it's been working great until today, I was watching a Youtube video and the screen went weird like loads of white blocks appeared and shimmered up the screen, then a minute later the screen went black, I rebooted and it happened again almost instantly, so I powered down and waited, rebooted and it was ok for 5 minutes then it forze and I managed to get this screen shot.

In Event Viewer it throws up Event ID 13-14 errors from source nvlddmkm, so I done a fresh install of nvidia drivers same thing happened, I changed cable same thing happened, as I write this now the card is in the system working, if I fire up a game it will be ok for 10 minutes or so then black screen, but sometimes it just comes back as if the game crashed, like it crashes on my main screen but opens up my 2nd screen which is contected to the HDMI port, although I tried with just 1 display connected same thing happend.

Tommorow I will take the card out and put my old one back in and see if it happens with that, but that card has lasted 5 years and still going strong, just asking if anyone had this on thier 3080 and fixed it or does that screenshot look like the card is knackered? I have sent email to Overclockers just waiting for a response.

rsXQB6y.jpg

Associate
OP
Think that's memory corruption, is it overclocked in any way?

Hi, it's as is out of the box, this only started today, I've not added any new hardware or software, it will just black screen, and the PC will freeze or the screen will comeback, if I connect my 2nd monitor when it black screens it will sometimes just default to the 2nd screen, then I have to select my main screen again.

Associate
OP
Associate
I had a GTX 8800 that did something similar. The Splash screen popup for word/excel used to be corrupt too. It was way out of warrantee, and I read it was related to the chip solder detaching. I followed some instructions to take all the plastic off the board then bake it in the oven to melt the solder to get it to reattach. It worked fine for 6 months after that then died again. Yours is new so I wouldn't recommend you do that! :eek:

Soldato
I had a GTX 8800 that did something similar. The Splash screen popup for word/excel used to be corrupt too. It was way out of warrantee, and I read it was related to the chip solder detaching. I followed some instructions to take all the plastic off the board then bake it in the oven to melt the solder to get it to reattach. It worked fine for 6 months after that then died again. Yours is new so I wouldn't recommend you do that! :eek:
I did this with 2 8800gtx cards back in the day. They both worked for years after. The good old "cook a GPU" method :D.

The memory is corrupt. Get it RMAed

Associate
OP
Try underclocking the memory a bit to see if the problem persists.

I ran Innotune on 2nd screen and the GPU temps are fine never goes above 70, played Watchdogs fine for 30 minutes then another game for 20 and was fine, memory maxs at 9501 and GPU at 1695, I will spend another day on it tommorow see if it happens again.

Thanks for help

Soldato
I ran Innotune on 2nd screen and the GPU temps are fine never goes above 70, played Watchdogs fine for 30 minutes then another game for 20 and was fine, memory maxs at 9501 and GPU at 1695, I will spend another day on it tommorow see if it happens again.

Thanks for help

There was an issue with the previous generation of cards whereby the memory was bad and was overclocked too high by the manufacturers.
if you can lower (underclock ) the GPU memory and the issue may be resolved.

Associate
Might be a silly question, but is that just your normal home PC, and you haven't logged in to anything remotely? Only reason I ask is that I had something similar a few weeks ago on my home PC, but only whilst logging into my work server remotely. My personal desktop and programs on my PC were fine, but anything on the work server had little black blocks appearing all over the place very similar to that image. There was a setting on the remote login app that related to persistent bitmap caching, if I remember rightly, and it needed to be cleared to solve the problem. I don't know how or if that can be checked on a local machine, but might be something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom