• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone moved to a 3080ti from a 3080? or 3080 to a 3090?

Soldato
It probably wouldn't help you in selling anyway. You're not allowed to sell any items at a higher price than what you paid for originally using the MM. Even though market prices have gone up!
I've got a lot of respect for how the MM is ran here, and have zero issues doing any business with its members. Its a great place, and the rules are the rules.

I sold my nearly 11 month old 3080 for 1.1k, not here obviously. Way over the original purchase price, but at the time it was under market value, so the buyer was dead happy, and I used it to fund an upgrade to the 3090fe.

Associate
It probably wouldn't help you in selling anyway. You're not allowed to sell any items at a higher price than what you paid for originally using the MM. Even though market prices have gone up!
I've got a lot of respect for how the MM is ran here, and have zero issues doing any business with its members. Its a great place, and the rules are the rules.

I sold my nearly 11 month old 3080 for 1.1k, not here obviously. Way over the original purchase price, but at the time it was under market value, so the buyer was dead happy, and I used it to fund an upgrade to the 3090fe.
I know,I was not intending to sell it here even if I was eligible anyway.
I'm just asking how much they go for used on average outside eBay.(eBay is still £1200-£1300 used based on latest sold history)

it seems some people feel ashamed/guilty if they sell their GPU over MSRP,I don't understand why? market prices is not in their control.
if it was about was multiple cards with intention of scalping,sure..but selling your own used single GPU for higher than MSRP because that's the market going price is 100% ok nothing wrong with that.one should be mentally challenged to do otherwise.

Soldato
Yeah someone called me a scalper here, but he got shot down by more level headed members, and in the end he apologised for things he said. We are in funny times where folk are very salty about the current market, and how people 'with' are taking advantage of the people 'without'

There are some great members here who have sold modern GPU's in MM with no inflation above what they paid originally. And fair do's to them, as they could have doubled their money elsewhere, but chose instead to help out another. Some people are financially in a position to do that, and some aren't.

Associate
Yeah someone called me a scalper here, but he got shot down by more level headed members, and in the end he apologised for things he said. We are in funny times where folk are very salty about the current market, and how people 'with' are taking advantage of the people 'without'

There are some great members here who have sold modern GPU's in MM with no inflation above what they paid originally. And fair do's to them, as they could have doubled their money elsewhere, but chose instead to help out another. Some people are financially in a position to do that, and some aren't.
if someone calls you a scalper and have problem with you selling your own personal used GPU at standard market going price,they are idiots.simple as that.
CEX is selling 3080 FE used for £1500 so selling it £1100-£1300 is a very fair price.

again there is difference between selling your own, used, unwanted item vs buying at MSRP with intention of selling for profit

also some people might want to do charity but not everyone.nothing to do with financial position imo.
the reality is these cards go for over £1000 and even a high street used retailer is pricing them £1500.

Last edited:
Permabanned
if someone calls you a scalper and have problem with you selling your own personal used GPU at standard market going price,they are idiots.simple as that.
CEX is selling 3080 FE used for £1500 so selling it £1100-£1300 is a very fair price.

again there is difference between selling your own, used, unwanted item vs buying at MSRP with intention of selling for profit

also some people might want to do charity but not everyone.nothing to do with financial position imo.
the reality is these cards go for over £1000 and even a high street used retailer is pricing them £1500.

Sound like you are feeling guilty of the truth? You don't need to convince people joining-in on the scalping. Just do what you want to do and sell if you want.

Associate
Sound like you are feeling guilty of the truth? You don't need to convince people joining-in on the scalping. Just do what you want to do and sell if you want.
guilty of the truth? lol CEX is paying me £980, and they are re-selling it for £1500.that's the truth.
or maybe I should tell them to pay me just £650 because that's how much I payed for it? oh wait,that won't be fair cause it's used! how about I insist CEX only pay me £400 to cover the time I used it? :cry:
it's my own personal gaming PC GPU that I put lots of effort and hours trying to buy at MSRP..it's not my problem that it sells for more than that now.
everyone with a functional brain can understand the difference between this and scalping.
maybe you should also put some effort so you can pick one up at MSRP instead of being so negative.

Permabanned
guilty of the truth? lol CEX is paying me £980, and they are re-selling it for £1500.that's the truth.
or maybe I should tell them to pay me just £650 because that's how much I payed for it? oh wait,that won't be fair cause it's used! how about I insist CEX only pay me £400 to cover the time I used it? :cry:
it's my own personal gaming PC GPU that I put lots of effort and hours trying to buy at MSRP..it's not my problem that it sells for more than that now.
everyone with a functional brain can understand the difference between this and scalping.
maybe you should also put some effort so you can pick one up at MSRP instead of being so negative.

Then why are you posting Guilt Trips. If you want to sell your card to the used card shop or donate it to the homeless then do so! No need to justify yourself. It's your decision, it's your card. Anyone with a brain knows this.

I don’t need to pick up a card at msrp, I already have enough gaming cards. Maybe when 4 series cards come out , I might try one.

Last edited:
Associate
Then why are you posting Guilt Trips. If you want to sell your card to the used card shop or donate it to the homeless then do so! No need to justify yourself. It's your decision, it's your card. Anyone with a brain knows this.
guilt trip? are you high? :p
I asked how much is the used going price of the card.
where did you get the rest from? :D
after that it was a conversation with another member about their experience with some crazy people here.

Permabanned
guilt trip? are you high? :p
I asked how much is the used going price of the card.
where did you get the rest from? :D
after that it was a conversation with another member about their experience with some crazy people here.

With all due respect, you are the one that sounds crazy to me. The other people on here are just voicing their opinion ,which they are entitled to voice.

What ever you decide good luck.

Associate
With all due respect, you are the one that sounds crazy to me. The other people on here are just voicing their opinion ,which they are entitled to voice.

What ever you decide good luck.
Yeah I'm crazy because I'm thinking of selling my item to a high street retailer for what they are willing to pay for it,and you are the sane one who is distressed emotionally by this.
:rolleyes:

Associate

In my view "scalping" is buying an item for the express purpose of reselling at a higher value. It's the people who are selling sealed FEs and AIB cards (recently sniped/bought from resellers) for £300+ that they were able to get through whatever means they have.

A person who bought a card last year at RRP (because we lucked out and/or patiently waited on a list), and used it happily for gaming for 8 months -- then sold at current market rates to use the proceeds upgrade to a higher end card for gaming... that's not a scalper -- that's a gaming enthusiast who lucked out (or had foresight). This is my situation, and I don't feel bad at all for selling my 3080 non LHR (ironically, to a miner) so I can get a 3080 Ti or 6900xt.

Associate
In my view "scalping" is buying an item for the express purpose of reselling at a higher value. It's the people who are selling sealed FEs and AIB cards (recently sniped/bought from resellers) for £300+ that they were able to get through whatever means they have.

A person who bought a card last year at RRP (because we lucked out and/or patiently waited on a list), and used it happily for gaming for 8 months -- then sold at current market rates to use the proceeds upgrade to a higher end card for gaming... that's not a scalper -- that's a gaming enthusiast who lucked out (or had foresight). This is my situation, and I don't feel bad at all for selling my 3080 non LHR (ironically, to a miner) so I can get a 3080 Ti or 6900xt.

Yep, this.

Permabanned
I guess its going a little off topic (or back to the original) but I sold my Gigabyte 3080 and bought a TUF 3090.

Paid for £1600 for the 3090 and sold the 3080 for pretty much cost at £1000 I think it was. It was partly because I could only get the 3080 with the LCD screen on it which was stuck on a silly little character but I genuinely wanted the extra frames as Im running an LGCX48 120hz and wanted every bit of power I can get. Yes I have seen a difference albeit not huge but money was not an issue and I have not regretted it. I would make the same decision again if that says anything.

Permabanned
I guess its going a little off topic (or back to the original) but I sold my Gigabyte 3080 and bought a TUF 3090.

Paid for £1600 for the 3090 and sold the 3080 for pretty much cost at £1000 I think it was. It was partly because I could only get the 3080 with the LCD screen on it which was stuck on a silly little character but I genuinely wanted the extra frames as Im running an LGCX48 120hz and wanted every bit of power I can get. Yes I have seen a difference albeit not huge but money was not an issue and I have not regretted it. I would make the same decision again if that says anything.

How was the performance change for you? Was it £600 more performance? Did you upgrade any thing else?

Permabanned
Looks like I've fixed the card . When it started running hot after I followed that ***s from the other thread, claiming that if you press a part of the card near the power connector temps would drop 20c. But a my card ended up adding 10c on the T Junction):o

So I put in new thermal pads in at a whopping cost of £10 per packet , and had to use 4 packets. Now temps run ok again. No way near the overexaggerated Internet posse claims and the gpu runs 8c hotter and T Junction like 2-6c cooler. I still stand by it's totally not really worth changing Thermal pads for £40 and voiding warranty, plus stress of bricking the card all for 2-6c on the T Junction, not worth it for gaming.

Soldato
No.

Bought a 3080 couple weeks after the official launch for £750. There's so little between the chips there's little point, really.
I agree it’s barely a sideways move but if someone can tell me where I can trade in my non lhr 3080 for a lhr 3080ti I’d probably bite:D

Associate
Looks like I've fixed the card . When it started running hot after I followed that ***s from the other thread, claiming that if you press a part of the card near the power connector temps would drop 20c. But a my card ended up adding 10c on the T Junction):o

So I put in new thermal pads in at a whopping cost of £10 per packet , and had to use 4 packets. Now temps run ok again. No way near the overexaggerated Internet posse claims and the gpu runs 8c hotter and T Junction like 2-6c cooler. I still stand by it's totally not really worth changing Thermal pads for £40 and voiding warranty, plus stress of bricking the card all for 2-6c on the T Junction, not worth it for gaming.
Which card have you got?

For me, it was totally worth it, as it made the card 'useable' in my setup. Before changing the pads, memory hit 104, which made the fans go to like 1900rpm, which is faaaar too loud to be useable for me.

After changing just the rear pads, max temp I have seen is 98. Usually around 92 though. So not a massive improvement (probably as the fronts need doing!)
Yet, it has solved the problem. Max fan speed is now 1100~ rpm. That I can live with. (just a shame the coil-whine is now much more audible!)

Just from a temps perspective, id agree with you in my case its not worth it. But from a noise perspective it was totally worth it.

Back
Top Bottom