Found a well…

Associate
OP
Where about is the well located in relation to your house? Although the rubble may be helping block it it may still fill up which could cause an issue with your foundations depending on its location. A bit doom and gloom I know but I've had a couple of houses affected by old wells through my work.

about 5m away, according to some old maps there was a windmill somewhere close by. From what I gather it was common for those to have wells.

it was also a covered well, subterranean thing, if that makes any difference…

Associate
OP
So this was the ‘what on earth is this’ moment

Once we’d figured it out, and a fair amount of clearing later:

8490-B5-D8-A45-C-43-DD-8-A40-834273-CA48-FF.jpg

a>

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That’s the plan, and we’ll get it tested too, see how good the water is. Plan to at least get it plumbed in to the loo’s, maybe the shower too.

Soldato
Well, that's impressive :D.

I wonder if that existing pipe was taking water away and why they stopped? Perhaps get a company like Dynorod in with a camera/light so you can see how many dead bodies are at the bottom.

Associate
OP
Put something over it -you don't want local wildlife falling in and drowning. Animals I mean not local yobs.

I’ve made a board for exactly that, it still did not stop a mouse though getting under it. It was very sad :( especially as we know they live in the wood pile close to it.

Associate
OP
Well, that's impressive :D.

I wonder if that existing pipe was taking water away and why they stopped? Perhaps get a company like Dynorod in with a camera/light so you can see how many dead bodies are at the bottom.

so it’s actually full with bricks and other rubble - you can see from the top photo, we’ve already taken loads out. We’re down 3m from surface level now, will not likely be able to find out how deep for a while…

we’ve just borrowed a lumberjack harness as going down there was starting to get a bit ‘uneasy’ I can also make jokes about feeling OK…

that pipe, we followed it with a metal detector for a bit then lost the signal. Picked up something else further down the garden though which could be joined, heading off the property. Judging by the size, it’s to get water out, not put it in. That was how we figured it was a well & not soak away :)

Associate
OP
Yeah, I am planning on building it upwards once we have excavated more, but I don’t know if I can match that…

I’ll give it a shot though :)

Back
Top Bottom