First VR headset/experience!

Permabanned
Title says it all really. Finally want to take the plunge primarily to play HL Alyx but the other stuff I like the look of. I have my eye on the Vive cosmos as the Index is slightly too much but is the difference really that big between them?

I have a 3090 and a 10900k so power and the ability to run them is not in question I just do not want to go for the cheaper option if its going to be a much worse experience.

Any help would be nice please if people have tried different headsets and what they took away from the whole thing.

Soldato
Title says it all really. Finally want to take the plunge primarily to play HL Alyx but the other stuff I like the look of. I have my eye on the Vive cosmos as the Index is slightly too much but is the difference really that big between them?

I have a 3090 and a 10900k so power and the ability to run them is not in question I just do not want to go for the cheaper option if its going to be a much worse experience.

Any help would be nice please if people have tried different headsets and what they took away from the whole thing.

you might be better off getting a Quest 2 as it's your first dabble into VR. it's a decent headset and does mobile too.

Soldato
I will have a look into it. I always worry when getting entry level stuff that it will cost me more in the long run as if I like it then I will buy a better one anyways.

The Q2 really is a decent headset. The reverb g2 and index are high end but both have their issues. If you can borrow a Q2 for a short while, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Soldato
I will have a look into it. I always worry when getting entry level stuff that it will cost me more in the long run as if I like it then I will buy a better one anyways.

To be honest, unless you're mostly into sims (which brings the G2 into play), it's generally considered to be between the quest 2 and the valve index, as to which is the best headset. The g2 has slightly better resolution, worse refresh rate I believe, worse tracking, smaller sweet spot.

Index gives good refresh, good FOV, lower resolution.

If you're solely focused on PCVR and money isn't a factor (I presume it's not), then probably go with the Index, but otherwise, try the Quest2, £300 for a very solid headset that can do wireless PCVR as well (not to mention standalone so you can literally take it anywhere to play).

I've only got a quest 2, my first and only headset, and whilst I'd like more FOV, I cannot afford an index, and quite simply, I love using it standalone since no wires = more freedom and immersion.

Associate
The Quest 2 is am absolute perfect starter VR headset! It's standalone, so no PC required. However, it's fully capable of playing PC VR titles as well..

Permabanned
OP
Thanks peoples. Had a bit of a read and watched a few videos and the Quest 2 seems perfect to be honest but £700 difference between that and the Index makes it a LOT more appealing as well.

Associate
Well you will find that even a 3090 struggles to drive the higher resolution headsets at their full potential, especially with sim games.

I've tried a number of headsets over the years but I've only owned one, the Vive Pro 2 with Index controllers. For me that was the first headset to offer what I considered to be the minimum consumer VR experience I was happy with. So it wasn't so much about which one is better or worse the others simply didn't hit the bar and the commercial units obviously in a completely different price bracket.

The best value, least risk, beginner friendly headset is definitely the Quest 2 I don't think many would argue with that. You have to live with the compromises of the Quest 2 though as I have to with the VP2 cost being one of them.

Soldato
Most should work, the oculus one is 5m optical, meaning lighter, smaller, more flexible and definitely capable. I have a chunky 3m cable that works OK, but I preferred to play with virtual desktop (and now airlink), why have a headset capable of wireless, then not use it (assuming you can manage it).

Permabanned
OP
Most should work, the oculus one is 5m optical, meaning lighter, smaller, more flexible and definitely capable. I have a chunky 3m cable that works OK, but I preferred to play with virtual desktop (and now airlink), why have a headset capable of wireless, then not use it (assuming you can manage it).

Sounds fair enough. So what will I need to wirelessly connect it to my PC?

Soldato
Sounds fair enough. So what will I need to wirelessly connect it to my PC?

A decent wifi setup. Preferably Wifi 6, but not essential. A dedicated router direct from the PC, with it's own dedicated channel, should give absolute best results I believe.

Oculus supply a free software to do it, Airlink, and there's another, Virtual Desktop, that you'd need to buy on your Quest (make sure you get the quest version), that is a 3rd party software that's been in development for years, and offers some different features. Some people prefer one, some the other.

Also, don't sleep on the standalone titles installed on the headset. Graphically they won't be as good in general, but being able to just turn on your headset and play, vs setting it up on your PC etc, is nice. Even nicer is being able to just take it around with you etc. Some games such as beat saber etc, probably work better standalone due to avoiding latency.

Permabanned
OP
A decent wifi setup. Preferably Wifi 6, but not essential. A dedicated router direct from the PC, with it's own dedicated channel, should give absolute best results I believe.

Oculus supply a free software to do it, Airlink, and there's another, Virtual Desktop, that you'd need to buy on your Quest (make sure you get the quest version), that is a 3rd party software that's been in development for years, and offers some different features. Some people prefer one, some the other.

Also, don't sleep on the standalone titles installed on the headset. Graphically they won't be as good in general, but being able to just turn on your headset and play, vs setting it up on your PC etc, is nice. Even nicer is being able to just take it around with you etc. Some games such as beat saber etc, probably work better standalone due to avoiding latency.

Awesome thank you for that. Ive bought Half life and Fallout 4 VR ready for delivery tonight but I want to play beat saber as well.

Any tips on what to play from the free stand alone stuff?

Associate
With Fallout4 VR have a go with the vanilla game but you'll probably want to use the VR Essentials Mod pack from Wabbajack so you get better optimisations and features that make sense in VR.

Google Earth VR is one of the best free VR experiences.

Soldato
Awesome thank you for that. Ive bought Half life and Fallout 4 VR ready for delivery tonight but I want to play beat saber as well.

Any tips on what to play from the free stand alone stuff?

RecRoom.
Echo Arena,
The Lab on Steam,
Google Earth,
Nvidia's VR Fun house,
Gorilla Tag on App Lab,
Doom3Quest (free, If you got doom 3 on your PC)
Alien Isolation Mother Mod for VR(free if you got Alien Isolation)

I don't know if Robo Recall is free on the Quest 2.

There are a few game demos on Steam and Oculus store, like Beat Saber for example, might be worth trying some of them out too.

Also, recommend you get SideQuest, loads of free experiences and demos on there.

That should be enough to get you started :)

Associate
With Fallout4 VR have a go with the vanilla game but you'll probably want to use the VR Essentials Mod pack from Wabbajack so you get better optimisations and features that make sense in VR.

Google Earth VR is one of the best free VR experiences.
Just to clarify they said free standalone experience and Google earth vr is not standalone (last time I checked) but is indeed an amazing experience!!

Permabanned
OP
So.....

Initial impressions are that I am impressed. Not as sharp as I expected but Im having problems getting it adjusted to sit right and in focus. The lenses do seem a little smudged and maybe dirty so Im gonna try giving them a clean as well. Reminded me of how much I hate Facebook having to set up a burner account so I can even use the thing. I picked up virtual desktop, Half life and Fallout. Had a play on Half life and its good but Ive got the day off tomorrow so I can try and fine tune things a bit.

Is cleaning the lenses something other people have done and is there an optimal way to fit the headset? If I fit it too tight its not in focus so its trying to get it right but do I need to adjust resolution on it something?

Also Im reading a bit about sidequest? Do I need this and whats it actually for?

Back
Top Bottom