Kitchen Worktop Desk Treatment

Associate
I have managed to acquire a decent Beech worktop (2m) for a desk. :)

I like the rustic look of untreated wood, only now wondering if over time, it could warp, split? Will it be okay to use untreated as I am not preparing food or similar.

I will be using reinforcement to try and prevent warping but wondered if I will need to treat at some point (e.g. now before installation).

If I have to use something such as wood wax, is there a recommended mat finish people recommend?

Soldato
Will it warp/ split?

Only if there is a change in moisture, beech is not great with changes in moisture content but as it's inside it will be ok. Do not leave any spills standing on it for a long period of time however.

For finishes, danish oil is easy to apply and gives a slight sheen after 3/4 coats. I haven't used any matt varnishes so can't really comment on them.
You can leave it unfinished if you like it that way. As it will have just been planed I would recommend sanding it up to 200/220 grit, of course always sand with the grain or better yet use a random orbital/ finishing sander.

Soldato
I can highly recommend Osmo oil. Frequently used on worktops and leaves a natural matt finish.

I'd personally treat it to avoid the risk of staining.

Soldato
When you say beech worktop, you mean engineered wood, where lots of little ractuglar sections have been glued together then cut into a worktop?

In which case if you seal the wood as suggested with osmo or Danish oil or a varnish like Polyvine you should have no problems from warpage. Glued and laminated woods are generally very stable as long as they don't get wet/damp.

Associate
another vote for OSMO - Polyx is the one you need, you can get it in Matt, Satin or Gloss - make sure you do both sides as if you do one side you do risk the wood warping.
It needs 2 coats , and around 6 hours to dry

Soldato
I used Ronseal diamond hard matt varnish for my wood desk worktop and it's been great. People shy away from using varnish in kitchens because of water issues but there's really no reason not to use it for a desk. Extremely hard wearing and wont need recoating.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the tips and advice, really appreciated, @PlacidCasual as you guessed, its a typical Beech worktop with sections glued.

Osmo sounds great and the raw/transparent version looks the perfect solution! Thanks again all. :)

Associate
OP
Sorry to bump my own thread, simply wanted to thank the posters - Osmo oil worked a treat, I went for the Matt finish; and it looks awesome.

The second coat took a while to soak in, I got a bit worried as it looked a bit patchy when soaking in - likely the cooler temperatures; I left it over a week before using my desk; the wait was worth it, it has a lovely even finish.

I might wait until it gets warmer and add another coat. Thanks again. :)

Associate
OP
If it went so well, where are the pictures? We need pictures!

:D

Had to wait to capture in daylight as to give an idea of the finish. Picture 2 makes it look more golden - its more like 1 & 3 in reality.

Its getting there, everything is still work in progress, I want to to add some lighting, pictures and a plant or two, cabling needs tidiying up! Long term, it would look better with a single screen on a mount, I just prefer triple screen setup at the moment; one acts as TV when browsing so it saves having a real TV in the room.

OYC3Gmo.jpg

cD31fF5.jpg

CdvL1lb.jpg

Associate
That looks great! May benefit from a monitor stand as you suggest since it would free up a bit more desk space but due to size that's not really a problem!

Soldato
so - does osmo oil give a surface equally resilient to the occassional scrape with a mug, or ball-point writing on a piece of paper, as a varnish.
I think of oil as a protectorant, looks more attractive, but a varnish is a tough coating. ?
I need to redo my PC 'table' sometime, as the varnish has degraded ... take it out on a dry day to sand down outside.

Soldato
It's a hard wax oil so it's ok for a desk or coffee table, if you want resilience then sand and revarnish it as it will retain its finish longer, you're right in that it is a tougher finish.

Associate
OP
@Ninco!

how’s the desk treating you? I’m looking into beech worktops at the moment as they are marginally cheaper than oak ones.

It's been brilliant, no warping, splits or splinters. I have not added another coat of Osmo since January '20, its holding up fine. Spilt drinks and wiped up and it never stained. Only a patch where the rubber base of my mouse mat has left an imprint, but then this happens on all wooden desktops. It soaks up the oil. Its only noticeable, if you look at it in the right light (e.g. bright sunlight and looking at the surface on the level) you would not notice if sitting at the desk or walking in the room. Not worried though as I am sure with a very light sanding/oil application it would be gone.

I swapped out the triples for single ultra wide, and its coped as I never bothered with a support, its been rock solid. I post some update pic's tomorrow when its bit lighter.

I would highly recommend Beech. :)

Back
Top Bottom