Open new S5E Tab 4gb or hunt for 6gb variant?

Soldato
Got a new S5E 64Gb/4Gb for £287 through friends/family Argos discount. All good.

Seems this tablet is EOL now and the 128Gb 6Gb ram variant is extinct online apart from manager special A grade refurb/returns on eBay.

Spec police: I know this isn't high end with the 670 SOC. I wanted the last non-flagship AMOLED tablet and it's not for productivity just for upcoming travel. It's 5.5mm thick with quad speakers and 400g only.

Browsing, YT/Streaming, email and tower defense games maybe music is what I will use it for.

Most reviews have praised the tablet which is from 2019 and no one apart from GSM arena alluded to poor performance directly or indirectly due to amount of RAM.

Obv a refurb is a slight gamble and the discount isn't anything to shout about either.

Shall I just crack on and accept future proofing doesn't exist?

The new A7 tab even only has 3Gb ram I think?

Soldato
The S series is usually the premium line so the S5e still does a bit better than the A series. I would say it's even ahead of the S6 lite.

I've had the 6gb version for about a couple of years now and for the usage you stated, it's still more than enough. With browsing and streaming I don't notice the RAM usage going over 4gb so you should be fine for that.

I did flash LineageOS on it a couple months back however but that's due to me wanting a cleaner UI and less Samsung bloat, but OneUI itself is not so bad to use.

Soldato
OP
The S series is usually the premium line so the S5e still does a bit better than the A series. I would say it's even ahead of the S6 lite.

I've had the 6gb version for about a couple of years now and for the usage you stated, it's still more than enough. With browsing and streaming I don't notice the RAM usage going over 4gb so you should be fine for that.

I did flash LineageOS on it a couple months back however but that's due to me wanting a cleaner UI and less Samsung bloat, but OneUI itself is not so bad to use.

Thanks mate really good to know. I'll open her up then and enjoy:)

Not heard of LineageOS, does it require full rooting of device?

Soldato
We have an S5e and it's a really good tablet. It is a better piece of kit than the S6 Lite - Samsung seemed to take a step backwards with that.
Upgraded my wife to a Tab S7 this year, which meant the S5e became mine - really is nice and gorgeous screen.

Soldato
OP
We have an S5e and it's a really good tablet. It is a better piece of kit than the S6 Lite - Samsung seemed to take a step backwards with that.
Upgraded my wife to a Tab S7 this year, which meant the S5e became mine - really is nice and gorgeous screen.

Good to hear some real world thoughts on it, which variant do you have?
The screen is brighter than the LCDs too, which is impressive for portable OLED. Another reason I went for the S5E.

Soldato
Not heard of LineageOS, does it require full rooting of device?

Yup. But really not needed, you should be fine with Samsung's OneUI.

One thing I wished was the screen to be HDR compatible, the panel itself can do it, but apparently the display controller isn't up to the task. Still, the screen itself is vivid enough for Netflix and Disney+.

Soldato
OP
I just got a case by Ztotopcase that's thin and magnetic. Does basic angles like the iPad case.

The tablet is really nice, unbelievably thin, the display is wow. When you watch content it makes you feel like you're falling into the picture. Tested with a dark space scene in Passengers and did near black fairly well too. Highlights just pop who needs HDR hehe.

The speakers are really good, all frequencies well represented apart from of course the lower bass registers.

Playing kingdom rush is smooth and maybe even weirdly faster than my phone (Find X2 pro) which I can't reconcile. Maybe it's just the larger screen and units moving apparently more quickly.

UI is not too far departed from stock android which I like. RAM usage with several apps and game open at 2.5Gb.

Feels spot on for what I need. Media consumption is just 10/10 due to the screen.

Next is to install 64Gb micro SD left from my Tf700 transformer (it's essentially a slowly charging frustrating brick at this point I did try to format and use it to no useful avail).

The gold colour I have is more coppery and looks great IMO.

Very happy for my second ever tablet!

I'll get a DEX cable too.

Back
Top Bottom