Yet another SSD manufacturer doing the dirty

Soldato
IIRC they have white and black separating the nand versions and then gold and rose gold denoting the PCI-E gen. but I’ve also seen blue.
Black-Blue 2280 drive is the original.
Black-Blue 2242 is some DRAMless low power variant.
White-Blue Rocket Q is QLC drive.

Black-Gold and While-Gold are PCIe v4 Rocket and Rocket Q.

Soldato
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you want fixed BOM parts then be prepared to pay a fortune for them. NAND flash, and controller technologies are moving at a blistering pace, similar to that or HDD's in the 90's, whilst I don't agree with the practice or how misleading it can be very loose terms like up to, and approximately are used to keep the marketing correct.

It would be okay if parts were being replaced by better or equal parts but in some cases they are being replaced with parts that are markedly worse without advising the customer.

Apart from the sustained write performance falling off a cliff at 115GB

Some of the datasets with which my brother works may exceed that. Am I supposed to tell him to keep it under 115 GB?

Soldato
It's fine to cut costs especially if NAND production is affected - what people are taking offence to is the quiet switching of a current model for one that is inferior.

If you're going to switch the flash and/or controller out for an inferior one, make sure you're making that clear to consumers by attaching a different model number to the product.

Companies that do this underhandedly can go get ****ed. I was even eyeing up an SN850 so WD have just lost any chance at my custom.

Associate
Companies that do this underhandedly can go get ****ed. I was even eyeing up an SN850 so WD have just lost any chance at my custom.
I was going to get an SN750 to replace the 256gb drive in my laptop but think I'll just make do and get an external drive to store my videos so that's another lost sale.

If the drives had been released with a different model number a slight drop in performance wouldn't have worried me but to buy one now would feel like I'd been ripped off.

Associate
I was going to get an SN750 to replace the 256gb drive in my laptop but think I'll just make do and get an external drive to store my videos so that's another lost sale.

If the drives had been released with a different model number a slight drop in performance wouldn't have worried me but to buy one now would feel like I'd been ripped off.

I thought that the SN550 drive was switched, do not know about the SN750 one. Was that switched as well?

Associate

I thought that the SN550 drive was switched, do not know about the SN750 one. Was that switched as well?

Associate
On another instance I would think that manufacturers would experiment with cheaper drives and not with high end ones but considering the unprecedented shortage of components I am geting confused at what to trust. Perhaps you are right to wait until it all clears out.

Associate
See Samsung finally issued a statement:
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-08/970-evo-plus-auch-samsung-tauscht-ssd-komponenten-aus/
To ensure continued production of the popular Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung has decided to upgrade the controller and NAND in the 970 EVO Plus and have updated the firmware to the new version „3B2QEXM7“. The changes were dictated by global shortages affecting the production and availability of many components and devices. We believe that by increasing the intelligent TurboWrite buffer and optimizing software, our devices will even better meet the growing needs of consumers and improve the overall user experience. With the release of the new version of the 970 EVO Plus drive, Samsung has posted an updated datasheet on its website. In the event of subsequent component updates, the company will keep the entire change history available on an ongoing basis to ensure transparent communication with customers.

Samsung

Doesn't sound very credible to me.
Samsung being Samsung, are there actually any components they don't make themselves?

A shortage of parts they actually make and presumably continue to make? Sounds very suspect.

Back
Top Bottom