Quitting smoking tonight

Caporegime
^ Nothing/Everything is pointless, vaping is good/bad depending on your view, and Alan Carr doesn't work for everyone or is God so just do it that way. The irksome point about smoking and how best not to do it anymore can be a personal preference :)

OP, stick with it. You can do this.

Caporegime
^ Perhaps the only time I'll ever agree with BowdonUK :cry:

On a tangential* point:

• Rob : You don't look at the things that you have, you only look at the stuff that you don't have. Those guys are right about you - you're money.

Mike : Then why won't she call?

Rob : She won't call because you left. She's got her own life to deal with, man, and that's in New York... alright? And she's a sweet girl, and I love her to pieces, but **** her, man. You gotta get on with your life. You gotta let go of the past. And Mikey, when you do, I'm telling you: the future is beautiful, alright? Look out the window. It's sunny every day here. It's like manifest destiny. Don't tell me we didn't make it. We made it! We are here. And everything that is past is prologued to this. All of the **** that didn't kill us is only - you know, all that ****. You're gonna get over it.

Mike : How did you get over it? I mean, how long did it take?

Rob : Sometimes it still hurts. You know how it is, man. It's like, you wake up every day and it hurts a little bit less, and then you wake up one day and it doesn't hurt at all. And the funny thing is, is that, this is kinda wierd, but it's like, it's like you almost miss that pain.

Mike : You miss the pain?

Rob : Yeah, for the same reason that you missed her... because you lived with it for so long.

In the above, right now your are Mike. In 4 weeks time you'll be Rob. Just for sake of casting completeness, 'she' in the above is a cigarette.

* With apologies to the cast and writers of the film 'Swingers' (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117802/?ref_=ttfc_ql)

Soldato
^ Nothing/Everything is pointless, vaping is good/bad depending on your view, and Alan Carr doesn't work for everyone or is God so just do it that way. The irksome point about smoking and how best not to do it anymore can be a personal preference :)

OP, stick with it. You can do this.

You can do it if you b and q it.

Soldato
Well OP, this thread has inspired me to kick the habit after smoking on an off for about 24 years.

I always told myself that I was just a social smoker but I wasn't. I was just a dirty stinking smokey loser like everyone else sucking on the old fags.

I've downloaded a quit smoking app with a timer on it, set fire to a packet of fags with about 17 in it (in the wood burner outside), thrown out my vape pen, told my smoker mates that I'm chucking it and to give me a torrent of abuse if I ask for a cigarette, and read up on what to expect as I move on.

So far at 2 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds smoke free it's not fun and I could easily go buy some fags and chain smoke about four at once.

That said, whenever I get a craving I look at the timer and am adamant that I will not be resetting it so the craving can **** off! So can anyone who dares talk to me right now.

Anyway, next target is 3 days smoke free and I'm allegedly looking forward to more relaxed airways and peak withdrawal symptoms as the last of the nicotine leaves my system. What fun! Can't wait! :D

I haz 4090!
Don
So I did end up smoking the cigar last night.

Regret it, but its done now.

I have not had any more nicotine and my plans remain unchanged.

You were doing so well. You need to distract yourself at home. Either get out of the house and go for a walk or do some hoovering/cleaning - something that gets you up and out of your head so you stop thinking about it.

Soldato
OP
Well OP, this thread has inspired me to kick the habit after smoking on an off for about 24 years.

I always told myself that I was just a social smoker but I wasn't. I was just a dirty stinking smokey loser like everyone else sucking on the old fags.

I've downloaded a quit smoking app with a timer on it, set fire to a packet of fags with about 17 in it (in the wood burner outside), thrown out my vape pen, told my smoker mates that I'm chucking it and to give me a torrent of abuse if I ask for a cigarette, and read up on what to expect as I move on.

So far at 2 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds smoke free it's not fun and I could easily go buy some fags and chain smoke about four at once.

That said, whenever I get a craving I look at the timer and am adamant that I will not be resetting it so the craving can **** off! So can anyone who dares talk to me right now.

Anyway, next target is 3 days smoke free and I'm allegedly looking forward to more relaxed airways and peak withdrawal symptoms as the last of the nicotine leaves my system. What fun! Can't wait! :D

Nice! Sounds like you are doing great! Glad not to be the only one on this road at this time.

I feel even worse about my misdemeanour last night now, and I already felt ridiculously answerable to you nerds about this as it is lol.

Today has been a great day, I have high hopes that the evening will continue to be good too :)

Associate
I can't remember where I read this, have a think about this:

Bob wakes up one morning and as per routine he goes to where his cigs are for the first smoke of the morning. But they aren't there. Maybe they're in the kitchen. Nope. Livingroom? Nope. Bob searches every room, getting a little bit more anxious with every passing minute. Damn, I really need that smoke, I can't function, can't start my day without that first ciggy Bob thinks to himself. Everything else becomes secondary, seemingly the habit and addiction fogging his mind to all but cigarettes. The stress and anxiety builds, where are my cigs, I need them he says to himself. Screw this, they're not here, I'm off to the shops! Bob puts on his jacket to go out and as he gets his keys from the pocket of the jacket he finds a packet of cigarettes.
Relief sweeps over Bob like a warm shower, the stress eases to practically nil and he is no longer anxious, the fog clears and Bob is happy. But he hasn't smoked one yet.

Associate
The panic that nicotine addiction induces is what urged me to stop.

I can just get on with my life now, no matter the obstacle or 'stress'.

When I was addicted to nicotine, either smoking or vaping. No matter the issue, I could smoke/vape and the problem would still be there.

Nicotine addiction doesn't solve a single problem but causes many.

Stay strong OP and anyone else that decides enough is enough. Honestly you will be so proud and amazed once you dig yourself out of the hole.

Soldato
Nice! Sounds like you are doing great! Glad not to be the only one on this road at this time.

I feel even worse about my misdemeanour last night now, and I already felt ridiculously answerable to you nerds about this as it is lol.

Today has been a great day, I have high hopes that the evening will continue to be good too :)

I did something similar about 2 weeks into quitting. I found an old, nearly empty pouch of tobacco and cigarette papers in an old coat pocket, rolled up a cigarette and smoked it. It was vile, and the feelings of guilt after 2 whole weeks of resisting the cravings drove me to truly never want to smoke again. That dried out horrible roll up was smoked over 13 years ago and I never want to smoke again.

Sometimes a little slip us good for you :)

Caporegime
I developed acute bronchitissome 14+ days ago so literally had to stop smoking or probably die.....

I literally thought I was going to die at some points... I've had meds for 4 days now and my breathing/lungs can still feel as bad as ever at times.

at the doctors my heart rate resting was 160bpm.... I said it's probably anxiety..... and not related.

never been so terrified in my life, I imagine water boarding is rather pleasant compared to this...

it literally feels like your breathing in second hand air with no oxygen in it apart from the final part of the breath.
your lungs and chest ache, and your basically breathing through a straw.
ever wonder how your expected to breath through those tiny holes in a pen lid if you ever swallowed one? now I'm convinced you could breathe through one and survive

I just pray none of the damage is permanent, I'm not even 41 yet and didn't smoke my whole life.....

seems amazingly easy to give up smoking if you want to quit and don't have much will power, try and catch bronchitis from someone.

Soldato
I quit smoking 18/11/21 after having smoked cigarettes and wacky baccy for the best part of 28 years (I'm 44). I thought it was going to be tough, but decided to go cold turkey completely and am actually finding it a lot easier than I thought I would and haven't really been close to slipping.

Don
I quit smoking 18/11/21 after having smoked cigarettes and wacky baccy for the best part of 28 years (I'm 44). I thought it was going to be tough, but decided to go cold turkey completely and am actually finding it a lot easier than I thought I would and haven't really been close to slipping.

I might do the same in the new year, I do like a ciggie though! I find it very easy to give up luckily, longest stint between a nail was 2+ years. Let's see how what happens in the new year :)

Good luck though to all of you who have done the right thing :cool:

Back
Top Bottom