Octavia VRS TSI

Associate
Most likely a 2015 which is a Mk3?

I had a 2016 petrol VRS for a few years from new. Was our family wagon, don't think I had any issues with it. Heated windscreen was a particular highlight. Decent tyres are a must though, I found it did scrabble around for traction when pulling off quickly at roundabouts etc in the wet.

Soldato
Thanks for the really informative post. A few questions if you don’t mind?

Can adaptive cruise control be turned off permanently?

Yes and no, as standard no (it's in the same options as the lane assist, so is easy to turn off) each week more and more options are found using diagnostic tools and can be disabled or customised but this isn't something Skoda want you doing.

How are the software updates delivered?

Just wireless, you get a notification that a update is available (bit like your phone) it's believed these are small updates and for anything bigger it's a dealer update.

Any issues with crashing/laggy infotainment?

Had some issues are first but nothing really bad, tbh it's been fairly stable since.

Hopefully not too off topic as I know OP is mainly interested in mk3 but I’d be really interested to know your thoughts

The car makes basically zero exhaust noise outside which is a blessing and annoying when you fancy being a hooligan, it's all fake noise inside and tbh it does your head in and once again resets to on every time you turn the car off, the custom modes are in a menu on the screen, you can't turn traction off without going into a menu etc etc.

I'm used to it all, but reviews seemed concentrate on this stuff more than needed imo.

Associate
I've owned a 63 plate for 5 years and it's been absolutely perfect. In that time I've put 60k on it, the only thing that has needed replacing is the rain sensor which was a £40 DIY job. I bought it as we have 2 young kids and the Mrs doesn't drive, so it's a practical but fun all rounder and it's been cheap to run.

Try and find one with a few options if you can, some of the best features that make it easy to use and enjoy day to day come from optional extras, like the heated windscreen and seats, keyless entry/start and the upgraded Canton sound system.

Last edited:
Soldato
The car makes basically zero exhaust noise outside which is a blessing and annoying when you fancy being a hooligan, it's all fake noise inside and tbh it does your head in and once again resets to on every time you turn the car off, the custom modes are in a menu on the screen, you can't turn traction off without going into a menu etc etc.

I'm used to it all, but reviews seemed concentrate on this stuff more than needed imo.

thanks, most of that sounds fine. It’s more the complaints of AAC braking based on cars in other lanes, etc. That sounds full on dangerous and much more than a simple annoyance.

Soldato
thanks, most of that sounds fine. It’s more the complaints of AAC braking based on cars in other lanes, etc. That sounds full on dangerous and much more than a simple annoyance.

I mean yeah I guess, but it doesn't do it all the time and you are in control of the car and a simple press of the accelerateor pedal will over ride what the car is doing.

If you are treating it as some kind of auto pilot and switching off your mind then it could be but if you are using it as a tool and are aware of it's failings it's more annoying than dangerous. (Just don't pull out into a tight gap using ACC and expect the car to accelerate to maintain that gap, I would apply the accelerator myself in that instance for example).

Soldato
I mean yeah I guess, but it doesn't do it all the time and you are in control of the car and a simple press of the accelerateor pedal will over ride what the car is doing.

If you are treating it as some kind of auto pilot and switching off your mind then it could be but if you are using it as a tool and are aware of it's failings it's more annoying than dangerous. (Just don't pull out into a tight gap using ACC and expect the car to accelerate to maintain that gap, I would apply the accelerator myself in that instance for example).

thanks, think I’ll keep the order and hope for the best

Soldato

Bit of VCDS work (if you hop over to Briskoda there is a UK map - you're never more than a few miles (and a pint) away from someone who'll do it), that noise can be turned off for good.

Back
Top Bottom