• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from a 3700x, is it worth it?

Associate
Hi Folks,

Looking to do an upgrade and get myself a 6900xt and an x570board. I am wondering is my 3700xt still good for a bit?

I only game. Warzone, fortnite ( Dont judge me lol) and sim racing on vr or on my tripple 1440p monitors. F1 2020 , iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally

Thanks

Soldato
Sorry its a 3700X. Resale value is crap so will get about £100 if im lucky, then a few hundred more for a 5 series CPU, so wondering is it worth the money to upgrade.

having done this for one of my side machines - Unless you're playing on 1080, Comp - Not worth it until the new gens lower prices, I would also advise avoiding a 5800x it runs hotter than the suns core, 5900x can be had around £380~ used ( just sold mines for that, the 5600x @ 200 would perform close to your current cpu for multicore - however it will have a short life span.

Associate
Only need a mid range B550 unless your planning on OC a 5950x (general youtube consensus). Has the PCIE-4 lanes and the VRM capabilities. Buy an NVMe with the change (not much benefit over SSD but I think in the short future it's going to matter:) )

EDIT: short future.. short term seems too short https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/gpudirect-storage/ , I don't think this has actually been implemented yet, could be wrong.. anyone ? Super advanced ECC ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Only need a mid range B550 unless your planning on OC a 5950x (general youtube consensus). Has the PCIE-4 lanes and the VRM capabilities. Buy an NVMe with the change (not much benefit over SSD but I think in the short future it's going to matter:) )

EDIT: short future.. short term seems too short https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/gpudirect-storage/ , I don't think this has actually been implemented yet, could be wrong.. anyone ? Super advanced ECC ?

This was announced a year ago and still hasn't happened. However I believe MS will be turning this on with Windows 11.

So hopefully we should start to see some games use it from Oct onwards. (More likely first games will come in 2022)

Associate
Hi Folks,

Looking to do an upgrade and get myself a 6900xt and an x570board. I am wondering is my 3700xt still good for a bit?

I only game. Warzone, fortnite ( Dont judge me lol) and sim racing on vr or on my tripple 1440p monitors. F1 2020 , iRacing, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally

Thanks

seems a little pointless at the minute might be worth skipping to the next gen

when your games peformance suffers look at upgrading

my last cpu i5-6600 was only upgraded this year as I hit performance issues in some games

Soldato
I’ve been playing with a 3700X and 5900X, the 3700X is a very decent CPU, but likely would hold back the 6900XT. The RTX 3080 is badly held back by a 3700X and the RX6900XT is considerably faster than the RTX 3080. Although RDN2 can leverage CPU performance much better than Ampere so their is that in favour of 6900.

At stock the 3700X seems a good match for the for an overclocked RX 5700XT so far.

Soldato
The Ryzen 7 3700X is fine for the immediate future- you can force any newish CPU to become a bottleneck if you want it to. Wait until all the people on a Zen3/RKL will soon say Zen3/RKL is a "bottleneck" when Zen3 V-Cache and ADL are released. Then the latter two will be a "bottleneck" with Zen4,etc.

I would stick with the CPU and motherboard you have,and get a faster GPU - if you are running three 1440p monitors for most games,you will be hitting more of a GPU bottleneck IMHO. Plus if you really want a better CPU,then perhaps wait and see how the CPUs released next year look like for performance.

Last edited:
Associate
Having moved recently from a 3600x to a 5800x, the difference in day to day and gaming is barely noticeable. It's much more apparent in heavy compute scenarios, which I'm doing more of now, so worth it for me. In the end, I'd stick with your 3700x which is still an excellent CPU, and you won't notice a difference in gaming for all but a few games at 2k or above (and even then you'll still get far above acceptable FPS). A 6900xt will compliment it well, especially if you're running higher resolution and IQ

Also, I'd second avoiding the 5800x. It's a great CPU, but undervolting is mandatory unless you want a volcano.

Associate
You'd easily get £150 for the 3700x though.. And a 5600x for an extra £50-70. Don't know if it would be worth it!

*yes I know the 3700x has more cores but still, for gaming does it matter??!

Associate
You'd easily get £150 for the 3700x though.. And a 5600x for an extra £50-70. Don't know if it would be worth it!

*yes I know the 3700x has more cores but still, for gaming does it matter??!

they are about £270-280 ish the G does come up for less

Back
Top Bottom