External water cooling

Soldato
Working out how to at present. I like the look of the aqua computer controllers. Controller, pump, fans and some sort of power supply outside the case, all based off water temperature. Currently stuck on powering it without adding a whole ATX PSU.

How far away from your PC are you wanting to locate it?

My current setup.

9d3lHkB.jpeg

D4N

D4N

Associate
To power my D5 next, I put a 5 pin panel mount connector on the back of my case and connected to the PSU, then made up some cables to run from that to the pump. Aqua Computer do a 2 metre usb type A lead for the pump, so that is plugged into the back of the motherboard rather than on an internal header as it would be if mounted inside the case

Soldato
Question about external cooling for myself

is it possible to design it so disconnecting the external rad from the PC does not require draining the loop?

Soldato
Soldato
Question about external cooling for myself

is it possible to design it so disconnecting the external rad from the PC does not require draining the loop?

My external rad is connected via quick disconnects, I've retained one internal radiator so that the pc can still run should I need to disconnected the Mo-Ra for maintenance.

Man of Honour
I haven't used quick disconnects but I have built isolation valves into the loop so that I can isolate the rads, inline filter and the longest length of pipework from the rest of the loop in the case. That way if I need to change something in the case I don't have to drain and bleed the part of the loop with the rads or the other way around.

If you want to disconnect the rads without draining the loop your only option would be quick disconnects. Just choose carefully as some can be very restrictive.

Soldato
My rads are in a filtered box sitting on a windowsill drawing outside air through them. At first it was done because I was in a 6x4 foot converted double cupboard and I needed to get the heat out of the room. Now that I have moved my pc into the spare room I just couldn't give up the low temps that I get running my loop this way so stuck with it although this is the 4th evolution of my rad box.

Got any pics mate?

Man of Honour
Can't really get a shot that shows anything worthwhile of the radbox and it's contents but here's a shot from the front.
JzbfRo9.jpg
The pair of HWLabs GTX280's have their tanks with the connections facing each other so that I could get the inlets/outlets the right way around. The loop inlet/outlet are on the right hand side along with the wires for the fans. The window side is mostly a opening with filter mesh on it.

The 8x AC P14 fans are powered from a Lamptron FC5 v2 fan controller and connected by 4x 6m extensions that I made up which each have a splitter at the fan end so that 1 channel controls a pair of fans. To get the rpm to read correctly I had to remove the tacho wire from one fan in each pair. The controller sits in a box mounted under my desk along with a Zalman MFC2 multifunction fan controller which controls the 4x 200mm case fans, displays temps of both sets of motherboard vrms, memory and chipset and also displays live power draw of the entire pc at the wall.
70j7BBF.jpg

The reservoir is mounted in the corner above my desk so that I can see that there is flow and also has a water temp display mounted above it.
1uyK1mx.jpg

The case is something I built up to meet my needs and forms part of my desk. The fans blow across the motherboard from front to back and even has some passing under the motherboard. It's the mk1 version of the case and to be honest it's a bit too big but it had to be that size to be able to fit a pair of 200mm fans side by side. The bottom deck houses the pair of D5's, PSU and the mess of wiring I don't want to see. Talking of wiring I have to refit my red/black braided cable extensions as Corsairs cables are just so ugly and stiff.
hlNUEEY.jpg
cSvLviu.jpg

Associate
Did this a while back, zero desk footprint with a power button under my desk by my legs to switch it on :) temps never went over 36 degrees on cpu or gpu and couldn't hear anything (ryzen and vega 56)

Sorry for the bump, but can you tell me what those brackets are you're using to mount the radiators? I'm looking at mounting a Mo-Ra3 under my desk and those would be perfect. Also, what depth/type of screws are you using? I'm concerned that the weight in wood might be too much.

Soldato
Sorry for the bump, but can you tell me what those brackets are you're using to mount the radiators? I'm looking at mounting a Mo-Ra3 under my desk and those would be perfect. Also, what depth/type of screws are you using? I'm concerned that the weight in wood might be too much.
OcUK don't sell them, search for 'XSPC 6-32 UNC ALUMINIUM RADIATOR STANDOFF BRACKET SET - BLACK'

I used any old self tapers that fitted through the holes.. Rads don't weigh much even when filled, or at least not enough to rip out 4 self tapers into wood :) the case with psu etc all the blocks were mounted by 4 x self tapers too.

Associate
I’ve got a Zen 3700 and a 2080ti on a Aorus Extreme. Keeps it all pretty cool, peak water temperature is about 40degc on a hot day if I’m gaming.

Very nice for a totally silent setup! I guess you could always direct a floor fan at the side of it if temps get out of control :D

Back
Top Bottom