2022 Subaru WRX

Soldato
So, the new WRX has been unveiled.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Official Website: https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx

Relase video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYYCTnB0zjc

Will have to see about the power curve etc, but the numbers for it are barely above the outgoing model. Torque number suck, HP needed to be higher IMO.

Interior is nice IMO.

The WRX seems in a confused place. They went to town with 'Rally Heritage' then decided to give it 'track tuned' suspension that is even firmer than before lol. Only the top GT level trim and only with CVT get's the adjustable suspension as well. That's just so ridiculous.

Also... it's looks like a bloody mashup of a Honda and a crosstrek.

Hopefully it will grow on me. I believe the FA24 has a lot of tuning potential. I do wonder if they WRX gearbox still sucks compared to the durable as hell STI box.

Soldato
I'm confused as to what this is. It kind of looks like any Japanese sedan, the only defining characteristic is the bonnet scoop I guess. That said, the heritage they're so strongly trading on was never really about looks.

I don't see the problem with performance but I'm not a HP/Torque number chasing kind of guy. More about how it drives, handling, experience and the whole package. It's unclear really what the overall proposition is, though. I don't find it particularly desirable. Who is going to buy this?

Also, a D-shaped wheel isn't really a selling point if you're trading on a rally heritage. Do people really want that?

Soldato
OP
The "D-Shaped steering wheel to connect you to the road" made me laugh. The only thing that helps me with is getting in and out of the car. I don't like the D-shape for actual driving.

I like the evolution, but it seems like a heavy refresh rather than actually doing some awesome. The weak HP/TQ figures don't give me hope for the STI release. I'm going to guess at 340 to 350hp for the STI.

I hope the low power figures are disguising the actual performance.

@dave28 Mitsu are making SUV size cars with only i4 engines available. It's bizarre.

The thing is... ever since Hyundai started their N-Line, they really shook up the market IMO. They have the tech AND the performance which you can warranty safe tack on track and thrash the crap out of. They designed it that way. They WRX's are just behind in what they offer now and it blows.

Soldato
Horrible, it looks like a bloody Civic.
no the Civic is miles uglier, plus the next Type R is pig ugly too.
it looks like a refurb but to be honest the WRX STI looks pretty good and so does that, it just lacks the modern tech.
not sure about the black plastic wheel arches though, that looks a bit crap

Soldato
Looks distinctly bland and plastic tastic! seems theres only Honda with any bravery in coming up with a new design!

I wish they didn't bother. Mitsubishi did everyone a favour and stopped making the Lancer.

Shame they never did the same with the Eclipse, the group is to busy making heavy industry & rockets to really care to much about there cars!

Soldato
Did I miss the detail on fuel economy emissions and actual performance.

Given the spec, it doesn't look light yet has virtually the same power as the Yaris GR.

Presume 0-62 will be average against the competition now, ie mid to high 5s, emissions will be rather planet destroying un-palatable and fuel economy will be close to hyper hatches/saloons so low 20s on a good day.

Nothing special about the looks or heritage any more either.

Soldato
Incredibly bland on the outside and I'd be willing to bet that even though the interior looks reasonable in images it will be horrid in person too. Subaru are a bit of a dead (performance) brand unfortunately

Soldato
It's not going to allow them to compete with the likes of the Golf R, Civic type-r, Yaris GR, Focus ST, Hyundat i30N, etc IMO.

From what I've read it won't be coming to the UK either. Not surprised as between emissions, lack of decent lease deals and the improved competition there's not a market for the WRX/STi in Britain anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
At least there is a model, Mitsubishi have taken leave of their senses and stopped making the Evo`s
"Quit while you're ahead" comes to mind :p

I'm sure a few of these will sell but realistically who is the market now?

Back in the day the STI vs Evo WRC scene drove this market and you simply couldn't buy those sort of mad cars elsewhere - they were virtually a market of their own.

I look at this latest iteration and think most people will probably consider stuff like the Yaris GR or Golf R as better buys these days, depending whether they lean more 'rally nutter' or 'super capable but practical'.

Back
Top Bottom