• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Phew :eek: that with a 400W ampere = expensive cooling/psu.

Which wouldn't be that bad if heat could be saved for cold months; instead the kind of users who would actually consider a system which gets near to 1kW are probably the kind of user who would spend extra during the summer by turning on air conditioning.

Interesting! Didn't know that, thanks.

Yes, after years of AVX-512 where all the Intel fans were proselisating about AVX-512, they have now dropped it totally from their mainstream CPUs.

The real irony is that it is still present on die for the big cores and is being fused off.

So the decision to fuse it off must have been very last minute - maybe they really couldn't get the scheduler to work with having to move threads to differnet cores with different features sets.

It's not like they are going to take the large cores and copy and paste the whole design for later HEDT and server CPUs. In the meantime it takes up a lot of die space so it's going to cost Intel a fair bit. Might act as dark silicon and help with heat dispension.

Associate
They are, aren't they? Sapphire Rapids is Golden Cove + Gracemont.
The complete die as it is?
Like those Socket 115x/1200 Xeons like the new Xeon 2300s?
Currently the wikipedia entry for Sapphire Rapids only mentions Golden Cove. But it also mentions AVX-512.
In some supercomputer running custom code, keeping both types of cores busy should be possible, for a normal server?
Not so sure.
And for hypervisors / cloud providers? Well maybe a company could sell the Golden Cove instances as well as the Gracemont instances separately?

Associate
Seems Z690 is going to get a lot of lanes:
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-09...r-lake-s-bringt-im-desktop-viele-anschluesse/
(from https://www.pcinq.com/news/cpus/intel-alder-lake-s-ddr5-platform/)
lUbojzs.png
All those PCIe 5.0 lanes, tracks and traces are probably not going to cheap. While I think early adopters of DDR5 are mugs who will be mugged, if the rest of the platform is going to be pricey then maybe the DDR5 premium makes more sense?

x8 PCI-E 4.0 CPU link to chipset. That will give some bandwidth for RAID nvmes.

Associate
60cfef7d411f9d87.png

Soldato
First benchmark leaks

11900k beats 5950x by 20% in single core geekbench 5, matches 5950x in multi thread

clock speed measured is 5ghz all core on P cores and 3.6ghz all core on E cores

https://wccftech.com/intel-alder-la...re-i5-12600kf-cpu-benchmarks-prices-leak-out/

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-...ship-cpu-spotted-with-over-5-ghz-clock-speed/

This is a little odd, this 'first leaked' benchmark, is precisely the same 'first leaked' benchmark that WTFtech reported some weeks ago.

Soldato
Yeah, CPU space is still more exciting than the GPU one at the moment. I've dragged this 8400 on for some time now, and it's been great value tbh.
Will be keen to see what real world pricing is like on the entry level, with a semi-reasonable ITX board. Sure there'll be an AMD counter too. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah, CPU space is still more exciting than the GPU one at the moment. I've dragged this 8400 on for some time now, and it's been great value tbh.
Will be keen to see what real world pricing is like on the entry level, with a semi-reasonable ITX board. Sure there'll be an AMD counter too. :)
Getting a 5900X which I know will last me a long time made me lose my excitement. Will wait for 50% uplift in per core performance at the very least before I want to upgrade again.

Back
Top Bottom