Project: Boredom & Cash To Burn 2021 [Part 2]

Soldato
20210426-011731.jpg

20210426-011835.jpg

So it's getting to that time of year where I've got cash to burn, that and I need to do maintenance!

Okay, I've no intention of upgrading platforms right now. I'm going to wait for DDR5 before I dump a ton of money into that. But there's several things that need to change and I'm hoping you lovely folks @Jay85 I'm looking at you pal, lol. Can help me get sorted.

Okay so the main issue I'm having at the moment is temps, I've got a 5ghz overclock on the cpu but have seen temps rise over the months. I'm now idling at around 81c so I've still got some head room but it's creeped up quite a bit. GPU sits at 61c idle and pushes 90c when under load. It's a hot box and with all the rad space I've got in there I feel I should be doing better. Finally another one of the uni fans have given up the ghost on me. The bearings on these fans suck!

So replacing the fans is a must, if anyone can make any suggestions on what fans I should go with please feel free. Also any other suggestions for getting, and keeping temps down would also be very much appreciated.

Next, I need to get this GPU under water (Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080) so suggestions on a water block for the card would be a huge help. I'll also be looking at swapping out the thermal pads on it as well, after watching a video on the card being sucky for mining as the VRM's get too hot, but also cause looking at the fans on card I can see the dreaded oil leak from the pads.

I also need to think about a fluid temp sensor, so I can set my fan curves to that.

Any and all suggestions considered.

It's either this, or I look at going back to air and saving a heck ton of cash! lol

Soldato
OP
Is that a custom plate distributor thing for the week cooling or is it a commercial product ?

Looks ace

That's the full front EK distro plate with D5 pump, it's not a bad bit of kit. I managed to get it at a very good price though, I'd have not paid full RRP for it though.

Soldato
Idling at 81c?
Even at 5ghz that seems extremely high

For the GPU
I think alphacool,barrow and byski
Do a block for it no idea about ek though

And you definitely put me off those Lian li fans
Even if they look good yours have a high failure rate :(

Soldato
OP
Looks unreal but coolant level in res could do with being topped up more

Thank you mate, it's my pride and joy but am never happy with it. Always want to do something else.

But yes, the coolant level has dropped maybe an inch. System has been checked and double checked for any potential leaks and it's bone dry! Can only assume it's through permeation. I will be topping up if I can find the left over bottle of coolant I have, otherwise I'll be waiting until I do my next tear down as the loop needs a good clean.

Idling at 81c?
Even at 5ghz that seems extremely high

For the GPU
I think alphacool,barrow and byski
Do a block for it no idea about ek though

And you definitely put me off those Lian li fans
Even if they look good yours have a high failure rate :(

Yes mate, as discussed on Discord I'd developed a huge air bubble stuck in one of the pipes. Once I got that sorted things improved.

I'm genuinely shocked though, adding 4 Silent Wings 3's (3 side intakes and a rear exhaust) has dramatically improved temperatures across the board. At stock speeds I'm now seeing my cpu idle at a respectable 32c and my GPU at around 47c. During a long gaming session both GPU (Overclocked) and CPU never got any hotter than 72c and mostly hovered in the mid 50's. I'm quite pleased with that just for adding 4 old fans and getting rid of air.

Still have things I really want to change though. For one if I can get an FE card I want that gorgeous EK water block, I also want to reduce the number of fittings I've used and do more bends. Maybe switching to black or frosted hard tube and a coloured coolant of some description.

Those Lian Li fans really do have to go though!!! I don't know maybe I just got a bad batch but had another little problem with them. Noticed after installing the new fans that the LED's on the top row of uni fans had failed to light up though they where spinning. Check the cables and found the head of cable and slipped off the wires. They've always seemed really flimsy. Fortunately because I'd bought two packs I had a spare but they're just so damn shoddy. Maybe the new versions are better but I wouldn't hold my breath. Someone like Noctua or Phanteks really need to show them how it's done.

Soldato
Glad you're sorted mate ☺️
Those temps are much more like expected
Shame about the Lian li fans
As the locking together to mean less fan cables
Is great
Obviously you won't want to try their new version ☺️
Think artic cooling have something similar
Perhaps look at those

Associate
P12s rgb are very nice . Flip those bottom fans when u finally slap a water block on the gpu. Grab on of those cheap sensors that will fit the back drain plug and connect to board I use one to run my rad fans at the moment but going to connect them to my next pump on my next rebuild roll on november new intel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom