The Death of Free Speech? Roy Chubby Brown Gig Cancelled

Soldato
Ah I see, Germans had no choice, it was a case of be ignored, or kill 6 million Jews. Got it. Therefore we should tolerate those kinds of views as ok. Makes sense, there was literally no other choice for them.

I'm sure the ordinary German voting at the election didn't think they would end up in the place they did.

This is what happens in echo chambers. They lose sense of reality and start demonizing people of different political views. The next step is to look down on them like they are some untermensch.

However, the show was removed by the City Hall as it was deemed not to "reflect Sheffield City Trust's values".

“We understand that some people will be disappointed with our decision but we must uphold the standards and values that we promote and expect across our venues.”

So people who attend the RCB event don't have the same standards and values of society, according Snelling.

Let's face it, there is a certain upper/middle class that hate working class white people. They would sell their own parents out to make themselves look good in the social circles they dwell in.

Man of Honour
This really is an obsession with you isn't it. And no it wasn't just on sexual content. The idea we have political censorship here is ridiculous. Unless you mean people objecting to extreme sexist, racist views when back then they'd either agree with them or just keep their mouths shut like we were expected to so as not to cause a scene. I would argue we've never been more tolerant, yeah there has been a recent rise in racism and xenophobia but that suited a political movement and so was encouraged by politicians. As for freedom, well we've been losing those for decades and no one has really batted an eyelid. We just elect more of the same and they keep striping them away. Don't blame your lack of freedoms on "woke". Look to Westminster for that.

Extreme racist and sexist views are more accepted today than they have been for some time. Up to and including public calls for genocide. The acceptable targetting has changed, that's all. And of course we have political censorship. It's political censorship you agree with, but that doesn't stop it being political censorship. Which is also why you see the currently dominant intolerance as tolerance. Doubleplusgood blackwhite goodthink, citizen!

I don't blame the reduction in freedom only on the authoritarian bigots who call themselves progressive. In that respect, they're just part of the problem. Probably not even the biggest part - that's probably the usual combo of power and profit.

V F

V F

Soldato
This really is an obsession with you isn't it. And no it wasn't just on sexual content. The idea we have political censorship here is ridiculous. Unless you mean people objecting to extreme sexist, racist views when back then they'd either agree with them or just keep their mouths shut like we were expected to so as not to cause a scene. I would argue we've never been more tolerant, yeah there has been a recent rise in racism and xenophobia but that suited a political movement and so was encouraged by politicians. As for freedom, well we've been losing those for decades and no one has really batted an eyelid. We just elect more of the same and they keep striping them away. Don't blame your lack of freedoms on "woke". Look to Westminster for that.

Eh... What tolerance?

Caporegime
Chubby’s 76 now and is sadly the last of the northern working mans club comic. There’s none after him. It’s a problem that will resolve itself with time. There really is no need for the current hoohah over it.

I think a lot of these useless comedians like Nish Kumar don’t like him because he actually has the ability to make people laugh, instead of spending an hour on stage whinging about Boris Johnson and Brexit :p

Soldato
Are you really comparing RCB to a Nazi?!

It's hurfdurf. They're trolling. It's what they do for fun.

Not possible. It's against forum rules. The mods would surely stand against such things!

Do you not read the threads you post in?

I’m very clearly replying to

I've heard of this argument before. But it misses out on an important part of how Hitler came to power.

Maybe if you actually read threads and were open to discussion, you wouldn’t be so quick to disagree with or misunderstand me. It’s why it’s so easy to make you look really stupid.

Man of Honour
I'm sure the ordinary German voting at the election didn't think they would end up in the place they did.

This is what happens in echo chambers. They lose sense of reality and start demonizing people of different political views. The next step is to look down on them like they are some untermensch.

So people who attend the RCB event don't have the same standards and values of society, according Snelling.

Let's face it, there is a certain upper/middle class that hate working class white people. They would sell their own parents out to make themselves look good in the social circles they dwell in.

First off, I’m pleased to see the German word which translates as ‘subhuman’ being allowed.
I used it once on another forum in a thread about travellers and got a permanent ban.

Secondly, as for the upper/middle class hating working class people, I don’t know if this fits in.
I’m probably seen as lower middle class, I earned a few quid when I was working, and I didn’t mind spending it, but you couldn’t get much more blue collar working class than me, I dug ditches on a construction site in my late teens, I drove trucks for a fair period of time, and I drove a London Black Cab for thirty years, plus I can eff and blind as much as the next man when the situation warrants it.
However, some twenty plus years ago I inadvertently walked into a venue in Benidorm, where I’d gone on some guy’s stag weekend, and within five minutes of standing at the bar, RCB started his “act” on the stage.
In common with practically every man of my age, I’d seen Bernard Manning, and even inwardly sniggered at some of his non PC jokes, but this jerk on the stage made me want to run screaming into the night, which minus the screaming I soon did.
Before I left I scanned around at the crowd who were hooting and cheering him on, there were quite a few kids there, from 8 or 9 up to maybe 15, the parents all looked like ordinary British people, with a few pints on the table and bottles of wine, all factory workers, carpenters etc, working class people, absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I would have been ashamed to have them as neighbours or associates, if they admired this pathetic clown.
I’ve seen Jim Davidson live on stage, and Jim Jeffries too in the U.S., but I couldn’t stomach RCB constantly spewing out the N and P words in his alleged “jokes’.
Yes, IT’S JUST MY OPINION, but I think that anyone knowing of RCB and his schtick, who then willingly buys a ticket to sit in his audience is one sick puppy.

Soldato
Maybe if you actually read threads and were open to discussion, you wouldn’t be so quick to disagree with or misunderstand me. It’s why it’s so easy to make you look really stupid.

I think you're talking about yourself judging from your interactions with other people. You've also not addressed the point I was making. So carry on indirectly promoting extremism.

Caporegime
First off, I’m pleased to see the German word which translates as ‘subhuman’ being allowed.
I used it once on another forum in a thread about travellers and got a permanent ban.

Secondly, as for the upper/middle class hating working class people, I don’t know if this fits in.
I’m probably seen as lower middle class, I earned a few quid when I was working, and I didn’t mind spending it, but you couldn’t get much more blue collar working class than me, I dug ditches on a construction site in my late teens, I drove trucks for a fair period of time, and I drove a London Black Cab for thirty years, plus I can eff and blind as much as the next man when the situation warrants it.
However, some twenty plus years ago I inadvertently walked into a venue in Benidorm, where I’d gone on some guy’s stag weekend, and within five minutes of standing at the bar, RCB started his “act” on the stage.
In common with practically every man of my age, I’d seen Bernard Manning, and even inwardly sniggered at some of his non PC jokes, but this jerk on the stage made me want to run screaming into the night, which minus the screaming I soon did.
Before I left I scanned around at the crowd who were hooting and cheering him on, there were quite a few kids there, from 8 or 9 up to maybe 15, the parents all looked like ordinary British people, with a few pints on the table and bottles of wine, all factory workers, carpenters etc, working class people, absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I would have been ashamed to have them as neighbours or associates, if they admired this pathetic clown.
I’ve seen Jim Davidson live on stage, and Jim Jeffries too in the U.S., but I couldn’t stomach RCB constantly spewing out the N and P words in his alleged “jokes’.
Yes, IT’S JUST MY OPINION, but I think that anyone knowing of RCB and his schtick, who then willingly buys a ticket to sit in his audience is one sick puppy.
Strange, as I thought me and you got along ok

Soldato

Oh I can agree with you about behaviour that can be uncomfortable. Many a time when people go abroad they usually find the Brits in the bar getting err poop faced on alcohol falling all over the place. I have felt the feeling of them letting the British side down in how they conduct themselves.

But then I realised that is how British people of northern european descent act i.e. they party to the extreme. I remember as a young man going out to the nightclubs one Saturday night and standing in the centre of town looking around at the masses of people out at 2am in the morning. I think Friday and Saturday nights are the busiest for the police to patrol around in public. I'm not aware of any other country who has a culture like ours.

People like RCB are around in society. Telling the dirty, crude and unPC jokes all the time. It's one of the traits of British people we'll blurt out what we're thinking. As long as the jokes aren't specifically targetted to one person to make them feel bad then there is no harm in my view. I remember playing a game called Wheelchair Olympics back in the day on the Amiga. As a disabled person I laughed a lot.

Soldato
Well maybe, seeing as according to you, I’m one sick puppy for liking him

lol when racists who enjoy racists realise they are too racist for centrist libs and finally get called out, the libs will soon forgive you and welcome you with open arms, don’t worry, libs have no backbones to actually stand up for anything ever.

Back
Top Bottom