Remembering 9/11 - 20 years on

Man of Honour
On the 7/7 bombings I was meant to be in London that day but a mix up on my travel tickets meant I stayed at the office for work instead of being up there. I dare say I would have probably been mixed up in all of that if I'd have gone. Some of my friends were but luckily none were seriously injured or killed.

My sister usually went through at that time on her way to work but either started early or late I forget - I woke up to multiple text messages from her saying she was OK and I was confused until I saw the news.

She and 5-6 of her colleagues walked most of the way to where she was living as it was the only direction they were able to get out of the city and then she spent the rest of the evening driving them home.

I used to be a little glad after moving out of London to be less likely to encounter stuff like that but I've not really given it much thought in the last 10 years.

Soldato
9/11 - In the RAF working outside on an E-3D AWACS so missed everything except the last tower collapsing. I knew instantly we would be off to war with someone over this but, as our base at Waddington was also an emergency divert airfield, we were too busy setting up the airfield to accept any returning/diverted airliners in case the civilian airports couldn't cope (didn't happen in the end) so I didn't really have too much time to think about it until later that night when things had calmed down a little.

Just 6 weeks later I was on Op Veritas, the UK's effort in Afghanistan, which was such a rush job (considering we all knew it would happen) that we had just 1 day to prep our kit and aircraft for an undetermined amount of time (told 1-2 weeks until we could be replaced by fully prepped people) in an undetermined area (was Oman) whilst one of the UK's biggest peacetime exercise (Saif Sereea 2 with 22K+ UK troops on it) had taken all our desert kit, all the AWACS spares, ground equipment etc, so we worked in UK DPM (forest pattern) combats in 40'c to 45'c heat everyday until our replacements finally came through about 3 months later, by which time we all looked pretty tanned but everyone had lost a lot of weight and had worn out, ripped and torn DPM clothing on with some guys wearing flip flops instead of boots because the soles had melted at some point - bit of a sight for the new guys to see IIRC.

7/7 - Still in the RAF and on AWACS, we were just in the departure area waiting to board some Herc's at RAF Lynham to fly to MCAS Beaufort near New Orleans for a short notice (again just a few days) emergency training session for the USAF filled with recent lessons learned from Afghanistan. We got to see all the news reports as they happened this time.

Soldato
I was working in my first job since graduating as a mature student. Working for ntl, there were several TV's in the office, showing the live news on that day unlike on others. We were informed that ntl had an office in one of the twin towers but I never knew what came of the folk that worked there. Shortly after this my job became redundant due to ntl financial difficulties but I secured an opportunity at their offices opposite the NEC near Canary Wharf. Everyone wondered whether we'd be next and Canary Wharf was such an obvious target. Still, life went on as it should and at times there were security evacuations on the underground but you had to put it out of your mind and carry on.

When I say life went on as it should I don't mean those that were murdered weren't in my thoughts but quite the contrary, that it shouldn't change how we live our lives.

RIP

Soldato
I had just started a graduate engineering job. Second day on the job and the internet died and we were all desperate to know what was happening. Spent the rest of the week talking to near coomplete strangers about it and going back to my B+B at night with only one thing on the telly. A real sense of disbelief about the whole thing.

The event was sad, the aftermath and what it has spawned so much worse.

Soldato
I was in my first few weeks of high school and I remember vividly being picked up by my mate's dad and he was telling us about it on the car journey home. By the time I got home and turned on the TV, both Tower had fallen and it was chaos.

I distinctly remember that Saddam Hussein was prime suspect and very few had even heard of Bin Laden prior to this.

I think if you'd told me that 20 years on, I'd have only just seen the last troops withdrawing from the countries we decided to invade due to 9/11, there's no chance I would have believed you.

Associate
I was 18 years old and in sixth form at school.

My memory of the event is a bit blurry with time and I not sure that I can really discern a true memory from false, but I remember that I had finished my lessons and gone home for the day. I think I saw the second plane crash live on the TV and then the towers fall.

It's sad to think back about how this event has caused such mayhem, death and destruction over the prevailing years. Such an utter tragic waste of life and resources.

Soldato
On that day, my dad picked me up from school at 3ish (I was 13), about an hour after the first news broke. Naturally, I had no idea what was going on. When I got in the car, I'll always remember the pure fear in his voice when he said 'America's under attack'. I didn't think that could be possible.. AMERICA? Under attack? The untouchable superpower?

We raced back to his flat and watched the TV coverage all evening. The first time I saw the images of the plane hitting sent fear and shock through me that I'd never felt before. I'd only had my first mobile phone for about 3 months and remember texting my friends asking them if they saw what was happening and nobody could believe it, it was like something out of a film.

When the first tower started going, I just remember putting my hands to my face and sitting there in absolute silence. You knew there were hundreds, if not thousands, of lives being extinguished at that very moment. Millions of people being affected directly and indirectly by the chaos, whether they lost a loved one, or had a minor impact such as a flight being grounded.

I'll always remember watching WWF Smackdown on 13th September, which was the biggest meeting of people since the attacks. All other sports were cancelled at the time. Vince McMahon stood there, in his usual bolshy manner, and gave a rousing speech followed by a belting rendition of the national anthem from the ring announcer. The crowd went wild, the performers were mostly in tears, but they wanted to put on a show for people as an act of defiance.

One thing I wish I never did was find on YouTube the audio tapes from people inside the tower. I can still vividly hear the man on the phone to 911 at the time hear the tower start collapsing above scream OH GOD NO and the line cut off. The sheer terror knowing you had seconds of your life left :(

Soldato
I was in the air when it happened, flying to Vienna for work. I got to the customer site and wondered why everyone was standing round watching some trashy disaster film about airplanes crashing into buildings and THEN noticed the CNN logo ...

Sitting in a bar later that evening, one of the remarks that was probably obvious, but always struck me as prescient was "The Americans are going to go ape at this".

Soldato
Was on holiday from uni and got the news on in time to see the second plane, just the shock of seeing that and knowing it's not an accident, then seeing the towers go down and not really fathoming that they were full of people - still the worst thing I've ever seen

Soldato
Wow I am so old.

September 11th I was at work in Minster Court by Fenchurch St. Someone piped up to say a plane (the first) had crashed into the WTC. We watched it until mid afternoon on the plasmas in the offiice then got sent home (like the whole city). I remember looking up whilst walking over London Bridge and seeing empty skies which is odd as you get LCY and LHR traffic right overhead. A mate at work mentioned on that day he’d heard it was Bin Laden which was a good call, but most people had never heard of him at the time (Bin Laden that is not Scottish Steve the test environment manager).

7th of July was more memorable because I was working on the 32nd floor at Canary Wharf and we’d been trained to perform an invacuation - hiding in the bogs if you can believe that because they were in the centre of the building. I always got in early because the markets open at 8 and you were expected to be at your desk by 7:30 plus the Jubilee Line was horrific any time after 8 so it wasn’t too bad. Anyway I wasn’t on the tube when it happened but I do remember the BBC website having the breaking news “power surge” on tube headline. When we heard what had happened the whole wharf got evacuated and we ended up having to walk to London Bridge (commercial road then right past Aldgate tube) because the traffic was gridlocked. Met the MRS at London Bridge and than crammed into the first train we could get on and then got hammered watching the news in the Porter and Sorter next to East Croydon. The next couple of weeks were very quiet on the tube and backpacks were a no no! To clear up an urban myth, nobody got shot in the Citibank tower!

RIP

Caporegime
Was working in a US owned company, we had staff / friends on floor 91 of WTC 1, the plane hit the floor above, all our guys got out.

Crazy day spent in the conference room watching things unfold knowing we had staff / friends in the tower, the day will be ground into my memory forever.

Associate
Had a day off work, was cat sitting for my step sister at the time. Watching it unfold live, just happened to have the news on that morning, the news anchor was just slightly behind the actual live feed so we got to see the second plane hit and at that point can put two and two together that its an intention act. Then it hit me that's where my step sister was right now of all places! called my Dad to let him know. They eventually got through to her and she was fine, they were the other end of New York, but they cut the NY part of their stay short and went to live with family in Canada. I guess by car, not actually sure, maybe family collected them, as there were no planes for a while. NY turned into a ghost town, at least in the area they were staying, as it would.

Soldato
My memory isn't that interesting, I was just at work and knew about it when it popped up on the BBC News website. I told a colleague about it and he not understanding what the WTC was wondered what's the big deal. That soon changed.

However, I spoke to a friend weeks after who was an air hostess. She had been getting ready for work and had turned on the tv while having her coffee and feeling the utter shock of it all. She told me about her emotions on that day, with having to be on a plane everyday for work, thinking of the people on board the planes. Then her phone constantly ringing from her work and colleagues all wondering what to do. She didn't fly that day. She said it changed the feeling of air travel forever as an air hostess.

RIP to all who lost their lives that day and beyond.

Associate
Wow I am so old.

September 11th I was at work in Minster Court by Fenchurch St. Someone piped up to say a plane (the first) had crashed into the WTC. We watched it until mid afternoon on the plasmas in the offiice then got sent home (like the whole city). I remember looking up whilst walking over London Bridge and seeing empty skies which is odd as you get LCY and LHR traffic right overhead. A mate at work mentioned on that day he’d heard it was Bin Laden which was a good call, but most people had never heard of him at the time (Bin Laden that is not Scottish Steve the test environment manager).

7th of July was more memorable because I was working on the 32nd floor at Canary Wharf and we’d been trained to perform an invacuation - hiding in the bogs if you can believe that because they were in the centre of the building. I always got in early because the markets open at 8 and you were expected to be at your desk by 7:30 plus the Jubilee Line was horrific any time after 8 so it wasn’t too bad. Anyway I wasn’t on the tube when it happened but I do remember the BBC website having the breaking news “power surge” on tube headline. When we heard what had happened the whole wharf got evacuated and we ended up having to walk to London Bridge (commercial road then right past Aldgate tube) because the traffic was gridlocked. Met the MRS at London Bridge and than crammed into the first train we could get on and then got hammered watching the news in the Porter and Sorter next to East Croydon. The next couple of weeks were very quiet on the tube and backpacks were a no no! To clear up an urban myth, nobody got shot in the Citibank tower!

RIP
Very similar experience myself. Was working in London on both occasions. Just remember saying to a workmate when the second plane hit “that’s more than just a coincidence”. Interesting you mention about the urban myth. I heard the same at the time. Just goes to show fake news was around two decades ago!

Soldato
Very similar experience myself. Was working in London on both occasions. Just remember saying to a workmate when the second plane hit “that’s more than just a coincidence”. Interesting you mention about the urban myth. I heard the same at the time. Just goes to show fake news was around two decades ago!

:D indeed. I’ve spoken to cabbies since who swear it was the truth. They believed that story more than my claims that I was right next door. There was however at least 1 suicide in that building someone jumped from the 12th floor which was the top of their atrium (mate running the Copey desk was an eyewitness). Horrific.

Last edited:
Associate
I was 16, starting my first year of college. I remember being in a class and it wasn't till I finished for the day and got home that I saw my brother and youngest sister watching tv in shock that I found out what was going on. First thing I remember seeing was NYC in a blanket of smoke and figuring out what happened to the two WTC buildings.

The care free spirit and innocence I felt I had from the proceeding decade evaporated in an instance that day. I mean I wasn't completely naïve, I knew the world was a messed up place but it has been said countless times, so much changed in a single day. So much horror, the thing that will always stick in my mind is seeing footage of people jumping from the buildings. Just no words for it.

After 20 years, still feels fresh in my memory and yet still unreal.

Soldato
I remember going to a friends house straight from primary school and sitting with his older brothers and watching the news and not quite understanding what was going on.

20 years is such a long time and the world has changed so much since, incredible to believe how one single event can change the course of history within your lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom