How do you feel about cosplay?

Commissario
Looks like an indoor arena type place.
Yup, probably one of the huge American venues where you might have several hotels, loads of conference rooms often things like escalators going between floors.

IIRC they can be very reminiscent of Airports because they have many of the same requirements in terms of moving lots of people quickly between different locations and levels (and lifts are utterly useless at moving large numbers of people quickly between floors compared to escalators).

I think some of the Adam Savage convention cosplay walkarounds show a similar look.

Caporegime
Yes. This is awful. Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

Most people, as in 99.9%, are not like the Blizzard guy, whatever it was. Most look like total **** and it's absolutely embarrassing.

A microminority do not represent the whole bunch. It's so cringe I can't even.

I don’t understand this mindset. Stop being judgmental on people having a hobby, do you go around to tennis courts around the world telling them they should give up because they are not good enough to play at Wimbledon? Do you go around all amateur events telling people they are embarrassing themselves and cringe at them?

Not everyone starts out cosplay with an Adam Savage Ironman suit, people learn by doing. What’s important is that have you notice everyone in these video are having a good time? Did you notice children also attends at these events and when they spot a really good Spider-Man or one of their superheroes their little faces really lights up and can get a photo with them?

Yes, some cosplay is a bit naff when you compared to the movie version but a lot of the time isn’t the point. Some people see it as one fancy dress party, some dresses up a little to participate, some do it for fun, all at various levels of talent and skill. If everyone can pull off a movie props department level cosplay then I want to know why the life action version of Full Metal Alchemist looks so crap. Unfortunately we live in a world where not everyone is that skilful like Adam Savage but we don’t deny people participating nor should we look down on them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes. This is awful. Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

Most people, as in 99.9%, are not like the Blizzard guy, whatever it was. Most look like total **** and it's absolutely embarrassing.

A microminority do not represent the whole bunch. It's so cringe I can't even.
So they're literally you at any fetish club?

That's your problem isn't it?

It exposes you're insecurity

Associate
I've always felt uncomfortable with even fancy dress party invites, to self conscious i guess. I think people who really go for it should be admired. its chilled out fun

Soldato
I've clearly missed those posts!

Here you go with a few examples... Including yours calling it weird.

Always leaves me with mixed feelings , on one hand it's impressive with the amount of effort and detail that they put into it but on the other it seems a bit weird to be that obsessed with it.

this *100

Weird. But then I don't like clowns or people who dress as mascots.

Associate
Quick google found this.

Of course, it still attracts lots of people who dress up as a skimpy, minimal clothing character from many shows that they can choose from. Similar to Halloween, instead of dressing scary, they dress as a naughty nurse with not much clothing.

Personally i think cosplaying is just like modding a computer.. nothing weird about it.. some people like dressing up as their favourite character, others like building themed computers to suit their taste. Not everyone is into it, but each to their own

Cosplay when done right looks impressive as hell just like scratch builds by Bit-Tech and other modders, while those of us who don't have the time, patience, equipment, money etc to go that far, still try and make an effort to look good... that's what matters, and must be appreciated

Soldato
Models get paid lots of money by someone else, to just do whatever someone else tells them... whereas cosplayers pay out lots of money to someone else, for the priviledge of creating stuff themselves with their own money and to attend events where other people take both photos and advantage of them. Rarely does a cosplayer make any money, and only a very very few actually make anything approaching a living with any degree of fame. About the best they can hope for is enough ad money from their little YouTube channels to pay their partner's/mother's electricity bill each month.

Cosplay is just a sub category of modelling these days. The professionals get paid decent money, once they've done a lot of work and practice doing it as amateurs.

Capodecina
Soldato
I don’t understand this mindset. Stop being judgmental on people having a hobby, do you go around to tennis courts around the world telling them they should give up because they are not good enough to play at Wimbledon? Do you go around all amateur events telling people they are embarrassing themselves and cringe at them?

Not everyone starts out cosplay with an Adam Savage Ironman suit, people learn by doing. What’s important is that have you notice everyone in these video are having a good time? Did you notice children also attends at these events and when they spot a really good Spider-Man or one of their superheroes their little faces really lights up and can get a photo with them?

Yes, some cosplay is a bit naff when you compared to the movie version but a lot of the time isn’t the point. Some people see it as one fancy dress party, some dresses up a little to participate, some do it for fun, all at various levels of talent and skill. If everyone can pull off a movie props department level cosplay then I want to know why the life action version of Full Metal Alchemist looks so crap. Unfortunately we live in a world where not everyone is that skilful like Adam Savage but we don’t deny people participating nor should we look down on them.

Fair points. I retract my original statement.

Back
Top Bottom