what shortage would stir/rile you?

Associate
Not sure if serious.

Grey goose is overpriced thanks to its marketing. Smirnoff is disgusting.

Russian standard is all anyone should be buying. The gold has flakes in it. Better off with the standard version. Vodka is just ethanol and water. So long as they made the ethanol right (which is easy to do) and it's using half decent water it doesn't need to be expensive to be good especially if like most folk you are mixing it.

Grey goose, ciroc and belvedere is literally for folk who buy Gucci belts.

Expensive vodka is just marketing hype. I dare anyone to actually know the difference after 3-4 home measures, most probably couldn't pick out grey goose from a blind test of 10 decent vodkas priced between £16-£22 per bottle sober.

Fully agree with this, i am a cheap skate used to drink glens until minimum pricing hit, now rusky standand or stoli since its all the same price

Caporegime
Yeah rs would be my normal grab, have you tried that zubrovka biala? That was nice for a change.

If you like gg should try the French grain vodka from lidl and the Kirkland (costco) select French grain. Rumour has it that its actually gg made stuff in the costco bottle :) gg disagree tho haha tho they would if it was a legit way to get their product cheaper haha

I did a blind test with aldi, lidl and grey goose.

I can't remember now but one of them wasn't that good but the other was very good. I wish I could remember as it's only £15 a bottle.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/spirits/ignis-french-grain-vodka/p39850

https://www.aldi.co.uk/saint-gérmont-premium-french-vodka/p/083854272526500

You should compare both. One of them definitely isn't as good as the other to my palette anyway.

I have tried Zubrowka and practically every vodka out there but not biala version, I'll need to give it a go. I usually at duty free will go out of my way to pick up a premium vodka i have never tried before because it's usually a lot cheaper than the shops and only a few quid more than RS and I'll normally get 2 bottles of RS too. I have a large vodka collection and I have every single colour of crystal skull including limited edition rolling stones. I have tried the majority and when it comes down to it Russian Standard is by far the one I find most people enjoy. Stoli is a step up from smirnoff but I find it's not as good as RS. It's again usually the same price or £1 cheaper as RS. I'll probably need to do the taste test again but I think it was the one you mentioned the Lidl one that is better than Aldi's.

The problem I find is if you pull that out people just think you are cheaping out and want grey goose but can't afford it so I buy RS out of principle. I have on holiday heard countless people say I only drink grey goose or ciroc, or it has to be "good" stuff. Yes if you are drinking rolov it's a step up from nail polish remover but honestly £15-£25 price bracket has a lot of good vodkas in it and the £40 premium vodkas are not better than them in any shape or form other than fancier bottle. M&S own make of vodka is very good too and a reasonable price. In fact there are so many good vodkas out there the folk drinking "premium" marketing gimmick vodkas are really missing out.

Smirnoff is living on it's name of old made during the 90's and before. Since 2000 onwards it has went downhill. I would avoid it, it's honestly not that good any more. Absolut is better and I don't rate absolut that highly unless it's one of their more premium versions.

Caporegime
Regarding the ‘gold’ flakes. Back in the mid naughties, I remember people said the flakes in Goldschlanger were there to cut your throat a bit to get you drunker as the alcohol would get into your blood.

I didn’t believe it then, and I don’t believe it now. But quite funny that’s what the purchasers thought of the marketing gimmick.

I think that was just a Glasgow thing. I heard that too. Folk in Glasgow will drink anything if you give them a good story behind it. I remember in vodka wodka (ashton lane) the bartender told us this shot he was giving us was made with coke leaves (the stuff they make cocaine from) and sure enough after that they ran out.

Associate
Pigs in blankets are sausages with bacon. My mum uses sausage meat.

Each Christmas my work runs out at least one item such as cream.

A couple of years ago, it was ready made cauliflower cheese. Don’t understand this on Christmas dinner. We had loads of cauliflowers and cheese sauce sachets. Some customers didn’t understand that it’s cauliflower, cheese sauce and cheese. Plus the home made stuff is nicer!

Cream is an odd one I once I worked at a dairy and every year after Christmas we would end up with pallets of cream left over (even after everyone was permitted to take some home). It is not in short supply just shops not ordering enough due to the demand being unpredictable.

Man of Honour
Yeah rs would be my normal grab, have you tried that zubrovka biala? That was nice for a change.

If you like gg should try the French grain vodka from lidl and the Kirkland (costco) select French grain. Rumour has it that its actually gg made stuff in the costco bottle :) gg disagree tho haha tho they would if it was a legit way to get their product cheaper haha

I’ll check out Żubrówka biala thanks, I‘ve had Żubrowka before, I think it’s the one with lemon grass in the bottle.
Funnily enough, biała is Polish for white, remember it’s ł not l, and in Russian, white is is belyy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sonny, you seem to appreciate good liquor, nothing wrong in that, makes me feel that I’m in good company.
There was a time back in the nineties, when as much as I liked vodka, I’d find myself jonesing for rye whiskey.
I’d go for “Pikesville” or “Wild Turkey”, or often for the smoothness of “Canadian Club.”
Strictly speaking, Canadian Club didn’t qualify as rye whiskey in the U.S., due to the differing amounts of rye required in the distillation process between Canada and the U.S.
On an internal flight in the U.S. one day, I asked the FA for Canadian Club please, she apologised that they were fresh out, and an American across the aisle said, “Try Crown Royal.”
It was great, very smooth with no ‘alcohol burn’ and I always make sure that I have a bottle around at Christmas, but I keep it stashed away from my free loading in-laws!
I prefer it straight, but occasionally I’ll put a couple of ice cubes in.

Man of Honour
Sorry, duplicate post!
Sonny, you seem to appreciate good liquor, nothing wrong in that, makes me feel that I’m in good company.
There was a time back in the nineties, when as much as I liked vodka, I’d find myself jonesing for rye whiskey.
I’d go for “Pikesville” or “Wild Turkey”, or often for the smoothness of “Canadian Club.”
Strictly speaking, Canadian Club didn’t qualify as rye whiskey in the U.S., due to the differing amounts of rye required in the distillation process between Canada and the U.S.
On an internal flight in the U.S. one day, I asked the FA for Canadian Club please, she apologised that they were fresh out, and an American across the aisle said, “Try Crown Royal.”
It was great, very smooth with no ‘alcohol burn’ and I always make sure that I have a bottle around at Christmas, but I keep it stashed away from my free loading in-laws!

Caporegime

I have a bottle of crown royal in my freezer at the moment. It's legit the only whisky I can drink. I find all others horrid. I'm not a fan of whisky. I'm glad too because it's the only spirit where quality does tend to correlate with price. It's because of the whole process of aging, barrels, etc.

I mainly go for vodka, rum or a smooth lager like Innis and Gunn. I tried all the fancy craft stuff and IPA's but the only one that I found decent was punk IPA and some brew dog stuff but I did also find a lot of their other stuff weird and rank.

If you drink vodka straight I'd suggest getting some fresh fruit and making your own flavoured vodka without the sugar or crap in it which won't give it a sweet taste yet however give it a refreshing finish. Strawberries is the main favourite over ice or even a splash of soda water. I quite like blueberries but they tend to be rather expensive here compared to Canada you can buy a kilo for like £2. You buy them by the kilo from local farms and you literally end up having blueberries in everything for a few days. Really nice vodka. You just strain out the fruit after and it's still edible but obviously lethal, good for puree'ing into cocktails.

Vodka is made for mixing really. It's not exactly something intended to drink neat. As like I say it's just ethanol and water.

If you are a queen fan, Freddie Mercury was a big vodka drinker and they made a vodka after him called killer Queen vodka. I got this recently for a queen fan at work. It's supposed to be good stuff never tried it myself but I did get one for my collection I'll need to sample some time.

Soldato
All these shortages at the moment, and to be honest... I don't really care.

Shortage of X....... ok ****... just.... got.... real... It's identifying that X. Maybe petrol.

Medicines list in NI is going to be cut considerably as imports from England get stuffed due to massive multinational pharma companies being seemingly unable to fill out a customs form.
Many of the so called shortages make absolutely no sense at all.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Sorry, duplicate post!

Oh, yeah from what I understand this biala is made from rye

Yeah just checked:
Winner – Gold – International Wine & Spirits Competition – 2019 Meaning ‘white’ in Polish, Biala is the pure, unflavoured version of Zubrowka’s cult classic Bison grass vodka. Crafted from Polish winter rye, Biala is filtered six times, once through platinum, to create a crystal clear and exceptionally pure vodka. Biala is Poland’s favourite vodka with a rich heritage, crafted from nature. It can be sipped on the rocks or used in your favourite cocktails.

definitely a straight jobby for me :)

Its on par price wise with RS too, about 16 quid a bottle in Asda

Shortage of bottled water is already annoying me. I know I have many alternatives, but I am aware of how much I just seem to switch off off to water that isn't from the cheapest store 2L water bottle. When I have 2L bottled water, I go through 1 to 1.5 a day. When I don't, I might have 1 glass of water max. I feel less flushed as a result.
. Also a lkle of microprocessor is annoying as I can't get the latest xbox series x still!

Permabanned
Shortage of bottled water is already annoying me. I know I have many alternatives, but I am aware of how much I just seem to switch off off to water that isn't from the cheapest store 2L water bottle. When I have 2L bottled water, I go through 1 to 1.5 a day. When I don't, I might have 1 glass of water max. I feel less flushed as a result.
. Also a lkle of microprocessor is annoying as I can't get the latest xbox series x still!
Just buy a Brita filter then you can make all the filtered water you need with out all the plastic waste.

Caporegime
Regarding the ‘gold’ flakes. Back in the mid naughties, I remember people said the flakes in Goldschlanger were there to cut your throat a bit to get you drunker as the alcohol would get into your blood.

I didn’t believe it then, and I don’t believe it now. But quite funny that’s what the purchasers thought of the marketing gimmick.
check this video on how they made gold leaf back in the day
literally starts out as a gold bar and gets hammered lol

Golds so soft how did people think such a thin piece would be able to cut you? if anything it would line your throat and protect it

easy to get addicted to old British pathe videos, it's crazy how much skill factory workers had back in the day

Soldato
I'm aware but it just doesn't end up that way. We have nice filtered water from our fridge. I just find I guzzle down a lot more water when it's from a big plaster bottle. All ij my head, but I would rather do that then say coke etc

Refill a reusable bottle? Or even just the normal plastic bottle.

Back
Top Bottom