Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2021, Monza - Race 14

Rate the 2021 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Really questioning why the heck I stayed in to watch that incredible dull sprint race, instead of heading out ~2 hours ago.

The sprint race format could make good viewing, but the FIA need to engage their brains about which circuits to run it at, ones that need medium to high downforce and good DRS zones that will encourage overtaking.

Running a sprint race at Monza was only ever going to change the race grid through errors like Lewis made at the start, rather than driving/car talent.

Soldato
AFAIC they either adopt it at every race or they drop it completely. Even if they pick a handful of races each season where it ‘works’, it’s stupid to have an inconsistent approach to the race weekend at different circuits.

They’ve tried it twice and it’s been **** both times, so adopting it wholesale obviously isn’t going to work.

Fair enough, try different things, but this clearly isn’t working so drop the idea and come up with something else.

Soldato
Max deserves the WDC this year. No idea what’s up with Hamilton, long Covid or age, but he isn’t at is best.

Looks like it’ll only be the first couple of laps worth watching tomorrow.

I fail to see how sprint quali is better than actual quali…which means it’ll no doubt be adopted next year.
Just read that back to yourself, now think about the upgrades red bull have brought and what merc have brought this season. Lewis is still in the title hunt and is historically better in the second half.

Don
Max deserves the WDC this year. No idea what’s up with Hamilton, long Covid or age, but he isn’t at is best.

Looks like it’ll only be the first couple of laps worth watching tomorrow.

I fail to see how sprint quali is better than actual quali…which means it’ll no doubt be adopted next year.

Lewis is as competitive as he's always been, the rule changes for low rake cars this year have really hurt the Merc performance compared to previous years.

Soldato
I feel like he's made more mistakes than usual this year; perhaps the lingering effects of Covid weighing on him.
It's also his to lose so every mistake is blindingly obvious as Max picks up the points instead. Previously such an error wouldn't have been such a big deal?

Soldato
I feel like he's made more mistakes than usual this year; perhaps the lingering effects of Covid weighing on him.

doubt it's anything to do with COVID. He is competing as well as he has ever done. He has always made (small to medium) mistakes he just usually makes up for them or has been so far ahead or in such a quick car that they don't matter.

Caporegime
It's also his to lose so every mistake is blindingly obvious as Max picks up the points instead. Previously such an error wouldn't have been such a big deal?

Maybe. There's a reason I said "I feel". I guess you could sit down and run numbers on the whole thing, but I am disinclined to spend the time on it.

doubt it's anything to do with COVID. He is competing as well as he has ever done. He has always made (small to medium) mistakes he just usually makes up for them or has been so far ahead or in such a quick car that they don't matter.

Things are lost on the edges, a small drop in quality is enough to show. I agree that he's competing very well, but I don't ever remember him struggling like he did in Hungary after the race before.

Soldato
Yeah, it’s definitely more noticeable this year when Max/RBR are so on-it.

There are obviously still a number of races to go, and I’ve already been burnt once making such predictions, but it really feels like if Lewis doesn’t have a monumental recovery drive tomorrow, Max is going to start running away with it.

He was in the perfect position given that he didn’t get pole yesterday but would still have started first tomorrow if he had just held position today; ahead of Max and on a track where the Merc is clearly faster than the Red Bull and it’s difficult to overtake.

Azerbaijan and Monza could well be the two most obvious mistakes that cost him the WDC this season.

Maybe that and RBR’s lucky break getting two back-to-back tracks in Austria where they absolutely dominated.

Soldato
Oh look, sprint quali is boring who would have thought it in current F1? I mean I've never seen a formula with more on track over takes.. every corner is a battle up and down the field.

It's just a chance for someone to mess up and drop down the order.

Now they all know where each were strong and how best to defend that in the actual race, no surprises for me tomorrow thank you very much, we don't like stuff like that around here!

Soldato
So happy I wasn't able to watch the sprint race, sounds like yet another mistake from F1 as a sport. The pinnacle of messing things up. :cool:

Looking at final positions, I'm assuming any excitement we could have expected has been weeded out?

Caporegime
Agree with Alonso, one shot qualifying on a sprint race weekend might spice things up, you'd still expect the best at the front but one mistake and your P12
I liked this previously and it would stop any shenanigans like we see every qualifying with slow cars looking for a gap. Or screw qualifying completely, have a reverse championship order race to set the grid on Saturday to set the grid for Sunday, 5 points for highest climber from their start position, 5 points for coming first, 3 for second and 1 for third. But make it 20 laps long only.

Soldato
So happy I wasn't able to watch the sprint race, sounds like yet another mistake from F1 as a sport. The pinnacle of messing things up. :cool:

Looking at final positions, I'm assuming any excitement we could have expected has been weeded out?

It's just plays out like a normal race but without the pit stops to spice things up lol.

You get some excitement for the first couple laps then everyone seems to settle down not wanting to actually ruin their weekend and it's over. Might as well be 5 laps and call it.

Caporegime
So I've declared that sprint races aren't great.

1, they give away a taster of the full race
2, no point risking any overtakes. You've far more to lose than gain, especially back Down the pack
3, not long enough to degrade the soft.
4, not as good as quali

That race was dull.
We now know monza is likely to be a dull one with MB romp to victory

Soldato
Not so sure about that, personally. Bottas starting from back, Lewis from 4th, Max will sail off into the sunset and Lewis might be lucky enough to get 2nd. Bottas might score a point or two.

It will certainly be dull, bar any big crashes!

Soldato
Oh look, sprint quali is boring who would have thought it in current F1? I mean I've never seen a formula with more on track over takes.. every corner is a battle up and down the field.

It's just a chance for someone to mess up and drop down the order.

Now they all know where each were strong and how best to defend that in the actual race, no surprises for me tomorrow thank you very much, we don't like stuff like that around here!

This is the problem. Even if it is just a test for next year and beyond they are testing it on cars that aren't necessarily that great at overtaking each other... They should've probably just revisited it next year once the new cars arrived as it probably has the potential to be more exciting if the cars characteristics allowed for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom