On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Associate
Well I'm actually drinking a corona here right this minute... BUT I very very rarely drink at all. I had nothing from that post and to be fair haven't drunk much this year at all. The occasional glass of red with a meal. I have only got absolutely ******* once, which was when I said I wasn't drinking and stopped on 2nd July. Funny how I remember. I had nothing until I was in the mountains on my own, where I had 3 beers over 7 days. It was hot and I'd had some lovely hikes out on my own and just fancied a beer sitting on the terrace. I had one, was happy. That was it.

I'm not too worried about having nothing. I love a really good red and my champagne, you know that :D but I didn't want it to be something I went to as a means to mask the reality I was faced. I feel I have turned a bit of a corner on that and don't feel I need to, which I think is a big thing. I didn't get to now today and think oh **** I need a beer to get over this week. I really fancied a nice cold one. But I'll have this and I'll be fine.

So while I haven't totally given up, I am not beating myself up about it. I set out my guidelines and the reasons why and I'm happy with that.

I 100% feel your sleeping at night. At the start I would lie awake until 4:30am just couldn't switch off and then was woken by my 7yr old at 6:30. I had that for about 2 weeks and it was ruining me. I can't turn my brain off. I swear I have ADHD or something, because I find it really hard to stop my mind in general and it's alwways going 1000 mph on something. If it can't find something productive to work on up there it turns to overthinking things that aren't even there and that's a battle I have all the time. Which is why I keep myself so busy really. I give into the mind and let it carry me through it's labyrinth of WTF as otherwise it starts to turn on itself. Not what I needed going through a separation!

Hang in there man. Hope you find it OK and I'm always here on Trust if you want to reach out.

Thanks man, I agree totally and have also set myself guidelines, it does not mean I will not drink again. For example I have made the decision to only drink alcohol when I am out of the house and not consume any at home. As individuals we need to do what works best for us.

Sorry to hear about the separation, I hope it is not to long before the dark clouds lift and you can move on with your life.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well done to all those who are moderating their intake in the way they want to, and for those who are finding it hard going and have slipped - try again :)

I've dipped in and out of this thread over the years. For me the wagon has always had a non stick surface, however, I'm able to say that I'm now 16 weeks off the booze, the longest time in over 20 years. One of the main driving forces behind this current period of sobriety is my best mate/drinking buddy has had to go dry, so I'm kind of doing the same, if he has to go without a drink, then so do I, if that makes sense? It's not the only reason, but it has certainly helped this time. I've been through a few stressful situations whereby I was certain I would cave and grab a drink, but it turned out I just don't want to drink any more. What little fun that there was left in drinking for me has gone. 24th November will be 6 months off the pop - I'm aiming for that next.

Associate
Well done to all those who are moderating their intake in the way they want to, and for those who are finding it hard going and have slipped - try again :)

I've dipped in and out of this thread over the years. For me the wagon has always had a non stick surface, however, I'm able to say that I'm now 16 weeks off the booze, the longest time in over 20 years. One of the main driving forces behind this current period of sobriety is my best mate/drinking buddy has had to go dry, so I'm kind of doing the same, if he has to go without a drink, then so do I, if that makes sense? It's not the only reason, but it has certainly helped this time. I've been through a few stressful situations whereby I was certain I would cave and grab a drink, but it turned out I just don't want to drink any more. What little fun that there was left in drinking for me has gone. 24th November will be 6 months off the pop - I'm aiming for that next.

Well done mate, 6 months is certainly an achievement. I am only 2 weeks in but already feeling the benefits of being off the booze, hope I can also make it to 6 months!

Soldato
Currently dealing with the death of my father-in-law...finally succumbed to complications from destroying his liver.

Awful watching it all play out. He wasn't a problem drinker as such, just got into the habit of having some cans most days. Managed to kick the booze after barely surviving getting down to ~3% liver function....and lasted another couple of years but the damage to his other organs was already done.

I used to be a terrible binge drinker, huge sessions at least 3 times a week. Changed my lifestyle several years back when this started to play out. Still drink alcohol but very, very rarely more than a couple of beers.

My advice is not to just try and stop drinking. Same as weight loss, don't just try and eat less or whatever. Take up a physical activity that you enjoy.....then instead of 'giving up' something, all you're doing is stopping doing things that get in the way of the stuff you enjoy.

After spending every weekend of my 20s and 30s hungover, I wouldn't dream of it any more, got too much stuff to get out and do in the mornings!

Associate
Well I've come to the realisation that I have developed a habit of problem drinking.

I need a drink when I'm unhappy, tired, stressed, unwell, in a good mood or for any possible reason of celebration.

I've managed to cut down from 6-8 cans 3/4 times a week to probably 2-4 cans 3/4 times per week.

I've also realised that alchohol has taken the place of a binge eating habit that I used to have.

So, recently I've taken up the Wim Hoff method (cold showers & breathing exercises) as a method of coping (developing resilience to stress) which has shown some promising results. I'd like to get into exercising more but I'm a high risk of injury as I haven't truely recovered from back surgery (lots of pulled muscles/spasms but fortunately no more nerve pain). I'm still working on improving my injury resilence but its a very tedious and frustrating process.

Anyway, I've not had a drink yesterday or today and I'm determined to commit to abstenence from alcohol for a prolonged period of time. I'm also going to eat only at perscibed times to stop binge eating. I've been kidding myself that I can just go back to going to the pub once per week but atm this is a fanciful idea.

Caporegime
Not had a drink in 13 months. Don't plan to for at least another 6 months. I might see how it goes if I hit the 2 year mark. Been at home throughout covid and only close friends and families houses helped. I'm not a house drinker.

Soldato
Well I've come to the realisation that I have developed a habit of problem drinking.

I need a drink when I'm unhappy, tired, stressed, unwell, in a good mood or for any possible reason of celebration.

I've managed to cut down from 6-8 cans 3/4 times a week to probably 2-4 cans 3/4 times per week.

I've also realised that alchohol has taken the place of a binge eating habit that I used to have.

So, recently I've taken up the Wim Hoff method (cold showers & breathing exercises) as a method of coping (developing resilience to stress) which has shown some promising results. I'd like to get into exercising more but I'm a high risk of injury as I haven't truely recovered from back surgery (lots of pulled muscles/spasms but fortunately no more nerve pain). I'm still working on improving my injury resilence but its a very tedious and frustrating process.

Anyway, I've not had a drink yesterday or today and I'm determined to commit to abstenence from alcohol for a prolonged period of time. I'm also going to eat only at perscibed times to stop binge eating. I've been kidding myself that I can just go back to going to the pub once per week but atm this is a fanciful idea.

Good luck, how are you getting on?

Soldato
Three months ago I had to stop drinking due to a new medication I was prescribed. I was drinking around a litre of gin a week, plus 4-8 bottles of cider - I knew it was probably too much, but I don't do well when forced to moderate, so had not cut down.

I came off the new meds about 6 weeks ago, and haven't gone back to drinking - the only things I drink now are tea and water, with the occasional alcohol free pear cider at the weekend.

Associate
Good luck, how are you getting on?

I suppose it's going okay but not as well as I'd hoped, although I do feel happier than 1 month ago.

I've realised that my issue is mainly binge eating related and that alcohol is a facilitator for the overeating.

In terms of going cold turkey on the booze I've failed spectacularly, but I've halved my alcohol consumption again so I suppose that is a plus.

I'm "exercising" (heavy backpack walk, flexibility and mobility) every other day which helps filling my free time with a productive activity. I'm hoping to be able to get back into weightlifting early 2022.

My main goal is to not be tired as this is the "feeling" that torpedoes my intentions quicker than anything else. This is hard to achieve with a young family but if I keep trying at some point I'll succeed.

I no longer beat myself up when I fail either which is better for my outlook too.

Associate
Three months ago I had to stop drinking due to a new medication I was prescribed. I was drinking around a litre of gin a week, plus 4-8 bottles of cider - I knew it was probably too much, but I don't do well when forced to moderate, so had not cut down.

I came off the new meds about 6 weeks ago, and haven't gone back to drinking - the only things I drink now are tea and water, with the occasional alcohol free pear cider at the weekend.

Well done on sticking with it. Did you find it challenging or did you take to it easily?

Soldato
It has been 2 months of not drinking after having a mental breakdown/ episode. I have had difficulty with sleeping for around a year and whilst it is not the only factor not drinking alcohol has certainly helped.

Soldato
26 weeks and 2 days for me now off the pop. Just over half a year. Exactly 6 calendar months since my last drink, which was 23rd May this year. My consumption when I stopped was a minimum of 25 units a day, every day, 7 days a week. I went cold turkey, but did have someone with me who knows what warning signs to look for when alcoholics just stop drinking.

I certainly feel better for it and I've lost some weight (about 38kg, or 6 stone or 152 blocks of butter plus at least 6" round the waist) but it's still hard! Onwards with the next 6 months, taking each day as it comes! My beverage of choice at the moment is Tesco Xero Cherry - 0 calories, so I can drink as much as I want (at least 2 litres a day, come at me bro :p ) which is a bargain at 50p per 2 litre bottle. I was spending at least £15 a day on booze before.

Good luck to all the others moderating their intake :)

Last edited:
Soldato
26 weeks and 2 days for me now off the pop. Just over half a year. Exactly 6 calendar months since my last drink, which was 23rd May this year. My consumption when I stopped was a minimum of 25 units a day, every day, 7 days a week. I went cold turkey, but did have someone with me who knows what warning signs to look for when alcoholics just stop drinking.

I certainly feel better for it and I've lost some weight (about 38kg, or 6 stone or 152 blocks of butter plus at least 6" round the waist) but it's still hard! Onwards with the next 6 months, taking each day as it comes! My beverage of choice at the moment is Tesco Xero Cherry - 0 calories, so I can drink as much as I want (at least 2 litres a day, come at me bro :p ) which is a bargain at 50p per 2 litre bottle. I was spending at least £15 a day on booze before.

Good luck to all the others moderating their intake :)

Awesome work on the 6 months. Out of interest, how long had you been drinking 25 units a day? Did you try moderating before tee total? My boozing is starting to push 7 days a week , prob averaging around 12 units a day, it's really creeper up on me. Certainly starting to feel some negative affects.

Soldato
Awesome work on the 6 months. Out of interest, how long had you been drinking 25 units a day? Did you try moderating before tee total? My boozing is starting to push 7 days a week , prob averaging around 12 units a day, it's really creeper up on me. Certainly starting to feel some negative affects.

Thank you! I've been a heavy drinker for at least 25 years. The amount crept up over the years, but it's been at that higher end for at least the last 10 years I'd say. I've tried stopping before but always fell off the wagon. Never really been able to do the moderation thing, so it's all or nothing for me, but what works for one doesn't for another, so give cutting down a try if you're not happy with the amount you are drinking.

Good luck :)

Associate
Thank you! I've been a heavy drinker for at least 25 years. The amount crept up over the years, but it's been at that higher end for at least the last 10 years I'd say. I've tried stopping before but always fell off the wagon. Never really been able to do the moderation thing, so it's all or nothing for me, but what works for one doesn't for another, so give cutting down a try if you're not happy with the amount you are drinking.

Good luck :)

Are you me? When I read what you've posted I thought it was...

Awesome job you've done with the break :)

Soldato
I've set myself to have a dry January, made easier as we have no social events this month like gigs or meals out with friends.

Red wine is my tipple and I do like to have it with an evening meal, it's only 4 days in but it's fine so far, not even missed it yet! Whereas at other times I've tried to do a dry month I'd usually fail quite quickly - think I've only managed it for a full month once before while trying.

Soldato

The festive period was quite well moderated. Previous years have seen umpteen bottles of red, champagne and beer (75cl 8%+) also previously we'd stock up for the summer BBQ (97 bottles of beer at one point+kegs). This year with the unfortunate covid related death of the father-in-law over a year ago, the festive intake seemed to have returned to a more moderate level. French only drink for an appetiser and during the meal, so this year I think a grand total of 4x330ml bottles of beer, one 750ml of beer on the large xmas day meal and a two glasses of wine (also the French drink smaller glasses). No hangover, and only a small buzz of alcohol.
I did come back with only 5 bottles of red, a pack of 9% Leffe and four bottles of a Tripple - all pushed to the darkest spot under the stairs. Also limiting my intake until the end of January - the mrs was supposed todo the same with sweets/sugar and we're both to go veggie for jan. Came back with a load of sweets and (mainly red) meat to tide us over quarantine etc. Now to 'enforce' the previously planned reductions along with some exercise once quarantine is done.

Back
Top Bottom