Valve announces the SteamDeck

Associate
It's not going to be until around 8 months away until the Steam Deck is able to run most games properly. Actually, the majority of games can already run, but it's not exactly an out-of-box situation.
Valve are mainly working on SteamOS 3.0, proton, and configuration files that will allow everyone to simply install a game and play it. Anyone who has played around with gaming on Linux will know that it often takes a little bit more effort to get things running smoothly. And for people wanting to play games that aren't on Steam, you are going to have to learn a bit about wine, prefixes, and be prepared to experiment with different configs.

Soldato
It's not going to be until around 8 months away until the Steam Deck is able to run most games properly. Actually, the majority of games can already run, but it's not exactly an out-of-box situation.
Valve are mainly working on SteamOS 3.0, proton, and configuration files that will allow everyone to simply install a game and play it. Anyone who has played around with gaming on Linux will know that it often takes a little bit more effort to get things running smoothly. And for people wanting to play games that aren't on Steam, you are going to have to learn a bit about wine, prefixes, and be prepared to experiment with different configs.
Or could just put Windows on it and run Steam from there?

Or am I missing the point?

Associate
Or could just put Windows on it and run Steam from there?

Or am I missing the point?

SteamOS 3.0 will allow the device to sleep in-game. Valve are not able to do this with Windows and have been working with AMD to ensure this functionality under Linux. Valve are wanting a gaming device that is very user-friendly without having to worry about the nuisance that is Microsoft. Valve will have full control over their own OS and will easily be able to deploy updates and functionality that will integrate into all Steam Decks.

Soldato
SteamOS 3.0 will allow the device to sleep in-game. Valve are not able to do this with Windows and have been working with AMD to ensure this functionality under Linux. Valve are wanting a gaming device that is very user-friendly without having to worry about the nuisance that is Microsoft. Valve will have full control over their own OS and will easily be able to deploy updates and functionality that will integrate into all Steam Decks.
Interesting

Associate
there are some people who want it its not innovative but who said it was ? its just something that hadn't been 100% confirmed yet the above post says it should be ok to do so

will it be any good though with the speed of SD cards ? who knows

Soldato
there are some people who want it its not innovative but who said it was ? its just something that hadn't been 100% confirmed yet the above post says it should be ok to do so

will it be any good though with the speed of SD cards ? who knows
whats not 100% confirmed?

that it can run something from a sd card? bro come on now lol.

They even said you can install windows or whatever OS u like on it

Associate
whats not 100% confirmed?

that it can run something from a sd card? bro come on now lol.

They even said you can install windows or whatever OS u like on it
a company saying you can do that is not the same as it can be done and someone actually doing it

no one said its a big deaL its just its first time someones actually said yes i've done it

Associate
What next, "hey im the first to load up BF 2042 on it...."

Its not a big deal or news worthy at all IMO.
the steam deck hasn't even launched yet and this is a thread about the steam deck so you seem suprised to find were talking about it lol maybe this isn't the right thread for you

Its not a big deal as i said above and to answer your question if someone said they had played BF 2042 on it that would be interesting as both are perhaps months away from launch

just because you don't find it interesting doesn't mean everyone does theres plenty of other threads to comment on.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
the steam deck hasn't even launched yet and this is a thread about the steam deck so you seem suprised to find were talking about it lol maybe this isn't the right thread for you

Its not a big deal as i said above and to answer your question if someone said they had played BF 2042 on it that would be interesting as both are perhaps months away from launch

just because you don't find it interesting doesn't mean everyone does theres plenty of other threads to comment on.
Thing is, don't we already know that this is not a closed platform like the Switch and that it is essentially a PC? As we will be able to run Windows on it etc it is not much of a surprise we will be able to boot it from an sd card. That's my take anyway.

Associate
Thing is, don't we already know that this is not a closed platform like the Switch and that it is essentially a PC? As we will be able to run Windows on it etc it is not much of a surprise we will be able to boot it from an sd card. That's my take anyway.
i'm not saying its a surprise as i said above its no big deal

but from yours and other comments we should only post links that surprise you

anyways i've said my piece i just hope people continue to post news about the steam deck were probably about 10 weeks to go till launch if its early december so lots more info should be released shortly both surprising and not so surprising

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i'm not saying its a surprise as i said above its no big deal

but from yours and other comments we should only post links that surprise you

anyways i've said my piece i just hope people continue to post news about the steam deck were probably about 10 weeks to go till launch if its early december so lots more info should be released shortly both surprising and not so surprising
People can do what they want. No one is stopping them. But when it is something somewhat obvious then we should not act surprised when someone replies back stating so :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
SSD looks easy to replace boys :cool:

Nice. Though I am hoping I won't need to and can just use sdhc cards as I only intend to play old games on it anyway which won't benefit much or at all from faster speed.

I keep seeing 200gb ones going for like £20 these days. May grab one of those or just use the 128gb one that is idle in my switch.

Back
Top Bottom