When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Reflections, unsure.

Sensitivity, reliability of presses and similar - every single reviewer slates the ID4 on these fronts.

Yep, I test drove an ID.4 and found the UI terrible but can't recall if reflections were an issue. It was so unusable for me and convoluted that I did not care how good the rest of the car was. Though there is always the Enyaq or the Q4 if anyone is set on VAG but the Q4 at least has it's own Audi UI and I have used it for over a year in my E-Tron 50 and it does perfectly well.

Soldato
Put a deposit down on an ID3 pro perfomance 58KWH , 204 ps in scale silver with 18 " East Derry Alloys. Purchasing through my company and need one sharpish as my current run around has very little left in it with a big repair bill looming. Would have preferred a family trim with alloys but none available, and i dont fancy waiting 7 + months. So hopefully will be mine before the end of October. We also have a Model 3 Performance so will be interesting comparing the two. any other ID3 owners on here?

Soldato
Put a deposit down on an ID3 pro perfomance 58KWH , 204 ps in scale silver with 18 " East Derry Alloys. Purchasing through my company and need one sharpish as my current run around has very little left in it with a big repair bill looming. Would have preferred a family trim with alloys but none available, and i dont fancy waiting 7 + months. So hopefully will be mine before the end of October. We also have a Model 3 Performance so will be interesting comparing the two. any other ID3 owners on here?

So what trim did you go for then, Life?

Man of Honour
Is anyone running an EV without the ability to charge it at home or work? If so, do you find it workable just charging up in public locations?

Reason I ask is I am put off EV at the moment due to the practicalities of charging. Our garage and parking space in front of it don't have power (can't be easily fitted as there is no direct link from my house to the garage, it would have to go through other people's property). If we park outside our house, you'd have to run a cable across the pavement which I'm sure would annoy people tripping over it / buggies / wheelchairs etc. When we bought the house this wasn't really a consideration as this was the pre-Tesla era, having a garage as part of a separate block didn't particularly bother me.

Man of Honour
I think that is going to depend hugely place to place at the moment - where I live the nearest public charger is 5-6 miles in the other direction to where I mostly go which makes it a bit impractical.

Part of the reason I aborted on a purchase of an EV when I investigated where I'd need to plug in to charge it the previous owner had done a bodge job and the cable just wasn't up to that kind of current sustained and it will be costly and disruptive to sort the electrics though probably will do it down the line.

Soldato
Is anyone running an EV without the ability to charge it at home or work? If so, do you find it workable just charging up in public locations?

Reason I ask is I am put off EV at the moment due to the practicalities of charging. Our garage and parking space in front of it don't have power (can't be easily fitted as there is no direct link from my house to the garage, it would have to go through other people's property). If we park outside our house, you'd have to run a cable across the pavement which I'm sure would annoy people tripping over it / buggies / wheelchairs etc. When we bought the house this wasn't really a consideration as this was the pre-Tesla era, having a garage as part of a separate block didn't particularly bother me.

I have read about people doing this. it can work. but depends hugely on how many miles you do and whether any places you go have chargers. download zap map and check it out. Looking at it myself, i'm seeing a huge number of charger onthis map out of order or not working which slightly concerns.

Soldato

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to a friend of mine. They've got lucky by "acquiring" a space next to their fence... but it isn't really a space - so they're chancing it a bit. Anyway the long and short was it's non-viable without a home charger and the only way to get the garages hooked up is to form a consortium with the neighbours and do a big run for each garage.

Man of Honour
Petrol/diesel isn’t getting cleaner

Surely it is, are you saying that a petrol or diesel engined car from 1990 is no different to one from 2020? For a start at it's most basic level your average petrol or diesel car registered in 2020 uses less fuel than the equivalent model from 1990 which on it's own would reduce emissions, but there have been huge changes in other areas too.

Soldato

Couple of people I know, mainly from having an EV myself do, but it comes down to amount of mileage per week you need. One chap only does 120 miles per week, so he charges while he is at the gym for a short(ish) period two mornings a week. His annual mileage is only ~6.5-7k but he's been fine with it for the last three years. He did say there is more competition for the chargers local to him, but not at the times he tends to need them.

Have you asked the people neighbouring you if they have an issue with you getting power to the garage yet? I'm sure they are all going to be in similar circumstances eventually, if their garages are the same placement.

Soldato
Surely it is, are you saying that a petrol or diesel engined car from 1990 is no different to one from 2020? For a start at it's most basic level your average petrol or diesel car registered in 2020 uses less fuel than the equivalent model from 1990 which on it's own would reduce emissions, but there have been huge changes in other areas too.
Eh... I said petrol/diesel not petrol/diesel cars. This was in response to someone saying you are just moving the pollution elsewhere by using electric cars.

So I was referring to was that 1L of petrol is going to have the same carbon content (ok E10 might change it a tiny bit) whereas the electricity grid is getting greener over time with a higher mix of renewables

They just literally changed the petrol aswell :cry:
There also seems to be very little information out there about how much greener E10 actually is. Some stats about the equivalent of taking XXX thousand cars off the road keep being bandied about but I can't find the source and how they worked that out.

Soldato
Yeah i dont even wanna open that E10 can of worms.

Reality is without home charging it takes away the big USP of EV. Convenience and running costs. I'd consider the money spent to enable it at your property a worth whilst investment - both longer term view of running and a selling point if you ever move. Prework for a cable run in trench just needs digging and you can do that cost will drop rapidly.

Could try Co-charge app or Zap-Map home for someone local willing to share their charger?

Soldato
There also seems to be very little information out there about how much greener E10 actually is. Some stats about the equivalent of taking XXX thousand cars off the road keep being bandied about but I can't find the source and how they worked that out.
I found it... the official impact assessment says the move to E10 actually increases carbon emissions and reduces fuel efficiency.

Well done government :p

The “do nothing” baseline assumes that the current targets through the 2020s will be largely met by blending petrol with up to 5% ethanol and diesel with up to 7% biodiesel. Introducing E10 will therefore increase ethanol blending and have the effect of displacing some of the biodiesel that would have been blended into diesel as there is currently no incentive for fuel suppliers to go above and beyond the RTFO targets.

As ethanol delivers slightly lower carbon savings compared to waste derived biodiesel, and costs for consumers are slightly higher due to a lower energy density, the short-term impact of introducing E10 is likely to lead to reduced carbon savings at higher cost. This is why the impact assessment indicates a negative cost benefit ratio.

So I guess I stand by my earlier statement!

Soldato

We swapped my Mrs to an ID.3 last weekend, It's the Max version(Pro Performance, so the same engine / battery as yours)
I1QTqwAh.jpg

It's the car I wanted to hate, it was not on my initial list, basically swapping from an X3 to an EV had me initially looking at well spec'd ID.4/Enyak/Ioniq5/Model 3 etc, however, seeing the residuals and finance packages and managing to get £6K off a max edition that had just landed when we agreed the deal (we waited until September to register it) this made it a lot better deal.

Since picking it up and spending a little time with it, I'm just constantly impressed, the performance is great, a real instant shove and great for overtaking etc.
And the Max version toys (Pan Roof, Traffic Assist, Adaptive Suspension, Massage Seats) are all gimmicky to some, but it's really helped coming from a well spec'd X3 to this that bit easier.

The only gripe which I haven't dwelled on is the ubiquitous interior material quality, the main reason I discounted it (and the ID.4 once I saw one) but actually being that much cheaper etc maybe helps as I don't mind it, the bits you touch are fine and only if I deliberately tap the harder plastics would I care.

Anyone on the fence, you can pick these up from £25k, but get a decent enough spec for £30k, and with good discounts can get a Max/Tour for £33-£34k..

Soldato

Me, kinda. I have a charger at home, but similarly it's on-street parking so can't always guarantee use and I've maybe used it 3/4 times, mostly in the early days before I had more confidence in using public chargers. I regret getting it installed now and wish I'd put the cost towards kw on the road.

I can charge at work, again, sometimes; we have two spaces which are used for pool vehicles, so they need to be being used, and it's only via a 3-pin so it's slow as it gets.

As per the first reply it'll depend massively on where you live. Fortunately I live 7 miles from two Tesla Supercharger locations (Gordana Services and the Tesla Servicecentre at Cribbs) so worst case scenario is even if I'm up **** creek at home with 5% battery left, I'll be able to get to a Supercharger which you can rely on for access/functionality.

We've then got some chargers at a local Aldi etc but the rest is destination charging so that's the same regardless of your home situ.

Soldato
(Pan Roof, Traffic Assist, Adaptive Suspension, Massage Seats) are all gimmicky to some
massage seats maybe - but how is the adaptive suspension - or not enough experience yet for country roads vs M-ways ;
pan roof should nicely offset the rear tints (which I never really get if you have children ...)

will be interesting to see review on the new nissan/renault platform dynamics/range - is there a good explanation of unique features of their platform ?
his rear suspension comment (like vw adaptive) does distinguish it.
[
damming inditement of both Mercedesand BMW infotainment (their cash-cow), extolling the google solution ... smooth gui, probably intel inside, like polestar.
all-new Renault Megane EV with Android infotainment! 2022 Mégane e-Tech
]

Back
Top Bottom