• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
I had discord and on for months and never managed to get a card, then I installed telegram also, which was quicker be a few seconds every time and I managed to get a card pretty quickly with telegram.

Soldato
changed the thermal pads on the 3080fe with Gelid GP-EXTREME 2mm for die side and 3mm for backside, I was getting VRAM well into the 90s doesnt help with the current warm weather room temp 29c .. with pad replacement now its in the low 80s also boost clock at stock seems higher hitting 1950 now more I used thermal grizzly kryonaut for the paste, wont lie the ribbon cables and led cable I was nervous very tricky to remove and re enter :eek:

Associate
changed the thermal pads on the 3080fe with Gelid GP-EXTREME 2mm for die side and 3mm for backside, I was getting VRAM well into the 90s doesnt help with the current warm weather room temp 29c .. with pad replacement now its in the low 80s also boost clock at stock seems higher hitting 1950 now more I used thermal grizzly kryonaut for the paste, wont lie the ribbon cables and led cable I was nervous very tricky to remove and re enter :eek:
My 3080 VRAM temps. went from running in the 100C's to running in the 80C's, after the pad change.

I went for the spread the thermal paste all over the GPU die method as the pea size method left gaps, which gave me very high hot spot readings. So thermal paste application is very different to CPU's.

Soldato
My 3080 VRAM temps. went from running in the 100C's to running in the 80C's, after the pad change.

I went for the spread the thermal paste all over the GPU die method as the pea size method left gaps, which gave me very high hot spot readings. So thermal paste application is very different to CPU's.

I did the cross method with 4 dots was good amount I was reading on gpu you can apply more it will compress out the sides found spreading thermal grizzly kryonaut difficult

I get 12c difference between gpu and hotspot at load which seems to be the normal range

Soldato
Anyone else undervolted their FE card? Has been quite warm the past week so decided to give it a go with my 3070, only did a light go with 900mv at 1800Mhz and I'm surprised to see such a huge temperature drop of nearly 10c on the core during gaming.

Associate
OMG, I've been reading this thread on and off, but this is terrible!

Considering the price on these GPU's it seems like a slap in the face having to deal with all these cooler related issues!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
This is one reason why when you go to put on your own thermal pads you can inspect, obviously they are few and far between cases above, but you would want to catch that before the card is damaged. I think this if anything shows nvidia that warranty wise - opening up your GPU shouldn't void any warranty as that's how you can report back shoddy factory work!

Associate
I'm going to have a look at the thermal pads on my 3090fe, is it just 2mm pads required?

8jR7hfP.jpg

Front:
Gelid Extreme 1.5mm (VRAM). Do NOT use Gelid Ultimate for VRAM front.

Gelid Extreme 2.0mm (VRM's left/right banks, single chip VRM).

(YOU MAY be able to use Gelid Ultimate 2.0mm on the VRM's if you compress the left side VRM strip about 0.2mm manually first, this would require you to be extremely careful and I would suggest some sort of digital caliper/micrometer and an even compression of the entire pad at once (rather than sections). For what little information I can tell, the left VRM original pad seems to be 1.8mm (some sort of low w/mk fabric type pad) while the right original VRM pad seems to be 2.0mm. I got this information from the one person who actually measured the pads last year (without him telling us WHICH side was 1.8mm and which side was 2.0mm), and by various compression and removal tests when using 1.5mm pads.

Looking at this 2 month application and removal, you can see the difference in imprints on the left side and right side, with both 1.5mm Gelid Extreme pads.

FswbeCK.jpg

QvbiKD4.jpg

It's clear that the contact on the right side isn't as good, and also there are apparent "melt" marks, which could result from a combination of low pressure+ heat concentrated in a smaller area+pad unable to fully diffuse the heat from the low pressure.
So I think using 2.0mm Gelid Extremes on both sides is a good choice.

The right side "VRAM" has good contact but you can't read the chip markings like you can on the left side, but the imprint of the chip area is good enough so theres no issue there.
Maybe the original size of that is more like 1.55mm but who cares.

Maybe I will test 2mm Gelid Ultimates someday on the VRM (with a manual compression of the right strip about 0.2mm) but you need to be careful as you do NOT want to compromise core contact pressure at all. Maybe someone with "Fujifilm Ultra Low Prescale" or "Extreme Low Prescale" pressure paper can do a test with 2mm Gelid Ultimates on the VRM's and see if the core side pressure is good, and compare them with 2.0mm Gelid Extremes on the VRM's and check if there is any loss of PSI pressure (to do that, just apply the pressure paper via instructions, tighten the X bracket ONLY, completely, then immediately remove the X-bracket and check the color and pattern of the pressure test paper). I have enough pressure paper left to test this someday but I can't be bothered taking apart the card again and wasting more thermal paste and pads. I'm already out of TFX and not in the mood to try Kryonaut Extreme (Yet).

For back plate side, 1.5mm Gelid Ultimates or 2.0mm are good for VRAM GDDR6X. Gelid Extremes work also but they will get very sticky and gooey under very high heat (much hotter than the front side) which will make backplate removal very difficult (you MUST Pre-heat the card or use a hairdryer). You can use the same for hot spots

One thing I do NOT know is if you NEED to use "hotspot" pads when you re-pad the entire card. People have been testing lego stands and stuff due to a problem with contact pressure on the backplate (backplate has no direct connection to the heatsink at all--it connects to the outer SHROUD cover, not the heatsink!!, meaning the outer edge of the PCB also has no direct connection to the heatsink). Maybe someone can test that--GDDR6X backplate VRAM pads only (1.5mm or 2.0mm--your choice) and not do the PCB hotspots at all. But I dont know.

Back
Top Bottom