Rugby union?

Soldato
It was a pretty dire series, I said at the beginning that it was a mistake to do it without fans.

Dodgy officiating turning every game into a snoozefest. Empty stadiums. Punishing conditions for the touring players. Should have been binned off. It's not like the olympics where players in lesser known sports are going to miss their chance to play on a big stage.

I was watching at the rugby club and even half the people there were bored with it.

Oh well, not long until we get the premiership back!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
There series was there for the taking, but lost in so many ways... dodgy officiating in 1st and 2nd tests for sure (should Kolbe have even been on the pitch for the 3rd test?), bizarre team selection, questionable tactics, and questionable decision making on the pitch. TBH, Gatland's record does not look good... winning in Aus is no great achievement, saying we didn't lose in NZ (rather than didn't win) is sugar coating it, and now a loss in SA... and there is now talk of him coaching a 4th tour!?!?!?!?

At least we had a change in fly half early in the 3rd test or it might have looked a lot worse! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Roll on the next premiership season I say. Absolutely thrilling finals and some excellent games through the season.

Really tough to get behind the lions this year which is a real shame. Gatland’s time is up.

Soldato
Rugby Union: New World 12s tournament proposed to launch in August 2022 - BBC Sport

Feels like Rugby is getting greedy. I'm assuming this is going to be some variant on the IPL cricket if players are bid for by franchises. Honestly rugby is losing its soul and has been for a few years. I'm not really convinced it's any more entertaining than is was 20 years ago at the international level at least. The players are too big and too fit and soon they won't be able to play because they're bashing each others brains out. Worrying.

Soldato
Rugby Union: New World 12s tournament proposed to launch in August 2022 - BBC Sport

Feels like Rugby is getting greedy. I'm assuming this is going to be some variant on the IPL cricket if players are bid for by franchises. Honestly rugby is losing its soul and has been for a few years. I'm not really convinced it's any more entertaining than is was 20 years ago at the international level at least. The players are too big and too fit and soon they won't be able to play because they're bashing each others brains out. Worrying.

Have to admit, I'm quite open to the idea of 12s. I played some 10s when I was a kid...a bit less of a completely different sport like sevens is, but more space to attack. Modern 15s with massive quick guys running a well organised blitz defence is not great to watch.

15 a side rugby has become quite turgid, too often revolving around the interpretation of this year's ruck breakdown regulations. Bringing on a whole new pack at 60 minutes is just turning it into increasingly big guys running into each other.

Quite apart from the fact it's boring....it's increasingly evident these massive players are smashing their way into chronic brain injuries.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It could be interesting and exciting to see some of the player combinations we would otherwise never see, but I can't see how they will fit this into an already full schedule.

Soldato
Prem back today then.

I'll be at Ashton Gate to watch the Bears. The rule changes might take some time to bed in but will be interesting.

Soldato
I've been reasonably lucky with injuries over the years (had torn cartilage in my knee when 18 but other than that only really niggles. ) This year has been injury to injury and then struggling to get over them. Ankle injury when was a pain to get over, was back for a few weeks then my chest has gone. 4 weeks later it's still not right.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I've been reasonably lucky with injuries over the years (had torn cartilage in my knee when 18 but other than that only really niggles. ) This year has been injury to injury and then struggling to get over them. Ankle injury when was a pain to get over, was back for a few weeks then my chest has gone. 4 weeks later it's still not right.

The injury you are suffering from is called "old age" :p

Soldato
Quins v Bristol is ridiculously good, again.

You have to watch the highlights.....phenomenal rugby.

Quins were 0-21 down at 26 minutes in....then Marcus Smith came off the bench, and we've scored 45 point with 3 in reply since. Absolutely unreal.

Back
Top Bottom