Storing PLA filament ?

Associate
We're not a particularly humid or hot country here in the UK, but is there anything I should be doing to keep my reels of PLA in good condition ?

I've seen various sealing bags with moisture absorbers but dunno if they are worth it here.

Soldato
You need to seal it somehow otherwise the moisture in the air will make the PLA brittle and break. I just use vaccum bags with the little moisture bags in there and
the PLA keeps perfectly.

Associate
OP
Thanks I've ordered a kit with some vacuum bags, a pump and desiccant packs. Silly question - do you keep your unused desiccant bags in a vacuum sealed bag to keep them 'unused' ?

Soldato
How quickly do you get through your filament?

My house is so damp it's verging on wet yet it took over a year for my active spool of PLA to go funny. I surprisingly burned through a 2nd spool in about 4 months and it was perfectly fine.

Man of Honour
On the flip side - between moving house and other reasons I left a roll of PLA on one of my 3D printers sitting in a corner and didn't touch it for ~2 years - it still *seems* to be fine. Not that I'd recommend that.

Soldato
How quickly do you get through your filament?

My house is so damp it's verging on wet yet it took over a year for my active spool of PLA to go funny. I surprisingly burned through a 2nd spool in about 4 months and it was perfectly fine.
I've found the same, seems to still work fine after multiple months.

Back
Top Bottom