Turbo use to flutter but now doesnt

Associate
Hi fellas, I have a 2008 ford focus 1.6 TDCI (110), when I use to come off the throttle my turbo use to flutter a lot, and it was quite loud, but all of a sudden my turbo no longer flutters, all I hear is a whooshing sound when I come off the throttle, the car feels fine, no lack or drop in power, so was wondering if anyone had any ideas ?

Soldato
Your wastegate was not working hence the flutter, now its either failed to the point it venting externally hence the woosh or working as intended (depending on how its suppose to sound!) either way best to have a look for any split boost pipes / investigate the wastegate

Associate
OP
Your wastegate was not working hence the flutter, now its either failed to the point it venting externally hence the woosh or working as intended (depending on how its suppose to sound!) either way best to have a look for any split boost pipes / investigate the wastegate
Hi there, thanks for this, I suspected it had something to do with that as sometimes it wouldn't flutter at all and sometimes it would flutter all the time,

Caporegime
My V70 D5 does this, you hear a chirping/flutter ish sound on hard acceleration, performance seems fine, in fact very much better than a colleagues similar example - which doesn’t make the same sound - it’s done it since I’ve had the car and 12k miles later it seems no worse, I can’t figure out if it’s supposed to do it or not tbh.

My truck just makes a high pitched whistling which you only really hear when the sunroof is open, which is what I’d expect the car to do….

Soldato
It might not be holding enough pressure anymore so isn't actually spinning up fully. I have this problem on an Abarth atm.

The spring in the wastegate goes weaker over time, the turbo solenoid can die, hoses split etc. It needs someone with the kit to test it properly.

Soldato

Wastegate is nothing to do with any flutter, you are thinking of a dump valve. Diesels don't have them though since they dont have throttle valves.

Back
Top Bottom