Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [10th - 13th Sept 2021]

Caporegime
Oh Purdy, I’m not as easily baited as you. We all belong to support fan bases that home the common, uneducated scumbags. Your lot are just the same as ours.

You seem to have a disproportionately large amount compared to most. (Or a willingness to be so open about it at least)
No need to tell me Liverpool has their fair share also, experienced it first hand plenty of times sadly.

I'll assume you agreed with the rest and not 'baited' by the fans discussion.

Don
You seem to have a disproportionately large amount compared to most. (Or a willingness to be so open about it at least)
No need to tell me Liverpool has their fair share also, experienced it first hand plenty of times sadly.

I'll assume you agreed with the rest and not 'baited' by the fans discussion.

If you mean the tackle, we will agree to disagree. Many a professional out there that agrees it wasn’t a red :)

Soldato
If you mean the tackle, we will agree to disagree. Many a professional out there that agrees it wasn’t a red :)

Imo it wasn't a red, but, red or not we weren't going to get anything out of that game and given Elliott is going to have a long road ahead now with recovery I don't think we should have any complaints at the decision.

Soldato
Zero control and off the ground is almost a guaranteed red.

The “challenge” on him against Burnley was worse but you can’t be doing that and expect to stay on the pitch. It was silly and he’s put all his weight on him hence the injury.

Hopefully it isn’t as bad as it looks.

Soldato
Ive been told in the past a break at times is better than a dislocation, im guessing thats due to the muscle aspect as well?
Think it totally wrecks the ligaments as well. People who dislocate shoulders are never the same again in relation to that arm, can't see why an ankle would be different and obviously a lot more force goes through it

Don
Think it totally wrecks the ligaments as well. People who dislocate shoulders are never the same again in relation to that arm, can't see why an ankle would be different and obviously a lot more force goes through it

Yeh, hence why Kane's ankles are like glass. Once you roll (sprain them) and stretch the ligaments then its a ticking time bomb until they go again.

Don
Absolutely gutted for Elliott. He's done absolutely everything you could possibly imagine from a youngster to make it at the highest level - the way he came back this summer, taking next to no holiday and forcing his way into Klopp's plans is an example to any youngester. He gets rewarded for all that hard work and commitment with a place in the side and grabs it with both hands and ends up suffering what looks like a horrendous injury. I've only just watched the tackle back and it's a clear red card. I'm sure there was no malice in the challenge but he's left the ground and his full body weight has gone straight through the back of Elliott. You often here people come out with "studs up" or "two footed" but the real dangerous challenges are when a player leaves the ground - when you've got 80 odd kg's flying through the air, if it lands on a straight leg then you're ****ed.

As for the game, we battered them and it's no exaggeration to say that we could have won by 5 or 6. I love Mane to death but he's always got a game like that in him, where he'll miss a dozen chances. For that reason I'm not massively concerned because he's done that so many times before. I'd be concerned if his general play was as poor as his finishing was (like it was for spells last season) but he played well to day - the movement and link-up between all of the front 3 was outstanding in fact.

Man of Honour
As for the game, we battered them and it's no exaggeration to say that we could have won by 5 or 6. I love Mane to death but he's always got a game like that in him, where he'll miss a dozen chances. For that reason I'm not massively concerned because he's done that so many times before. I'd be concerned if his general play was as poor as his finishing was (like it was for spells last season) but he played well to day - the movement and link-up between all of the front 3 was outstanding in fact.

I think that we would have indeed won the match by 5/6 goals if the Elliott injury hadnt have happened, even though we still played ok after the injury it was clear that we didnt play as well as beforehand, as you would expect given what will have been on the players minds.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just seen that from Elliott and that was nasty. Not sure it was a red card but I can 100% see why it was given. Like others have said, when you see it you think its a complete snap of the leg as its dangling and flapping around. Hope the lad recovers from it OK.

Associate
There's no way Leeds are getting related or being in a battle for it this season, even if I think like lots of teams that come up are getting found out in a second season. But they clearly are not going to hold onto firstly KP and probably Bamford if they are in the bottom half this season. Then it gets tough for them.

Soldato
I think in general those tackles aren't red cards - the defending player tends not to come through the player/approaches from the open side and wraps their tackling leg around the ball. You see those every week in the UK and they're almost always applauded.

The reason I feel this one is a red card however, is Struijk's trailing leg lands on Elliot's rather than on the ground, and dislocating his ankle in the process. If you're tackling off the ground it doesn't really matter if it's your studs or knee that causes the injury.

It's not malicious and those tackles are normally successful, but this time he wasn't able to control it fully and caused serious damage in the process.

A dislocated ankle is a much more favorable outcome than fracturing tibia and fibula - I remember hearing Alan Judge's leg go at Ipswich, and the spiral nature of the fracture kept him out for a year and completely undid his career. Elliot will most likely have a fair bit of ligament damage, but could be back within a few months if it's a clean dislocation.

Unfortunate for the guy, he was looking very good so far this season.

Don
Hopefully you're right and it's not a terrible one. Based on next to no knowledge I'd have thought a break would have been better than ligament damage.

Re the tackle, I'm not sure I agree that those tackles aren't usually reds. Any time a player is jumping into a challenge it's a red or at least should be. As soon as a player leaves the ground they have zero control of their bodies, with 70, 80 or 90kg flying through the air. The moment that sort of force makes a clean connection with another player the chance of injury is huge and that's exactly what happened yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom