• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3*** Super and 4*** cards in 2022

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Supers due in Jan and 4000's in Oct 22

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/s...nuary-2021geforce-rtx-40-in-october-2022.html

Thoughts? Annoyed? Couldn't care less?

I'm sure the 3090 Super will annoy the current 3090 owners who thought they got the cream of the crop?

3060 Super cards going for £700+ :D

3090 Super for £2k?

honestly id be surprised to see a new generation next year with the current situation on stock being expected to carry on most of next year and in to 2023 from various industries.

as for the 3090 super, sure why not, not like id be buying it anyways.

Man of Honour
You can buy it though it's just there is a supply shortage meaning there is less of a supply.

It's dumb to say if you can only produce 100k cards per month you should produce worse cards rather than better cards.

Regardless if they can supply just 1 card or 1 million it's not pointless at all. Pointless would be having the tech sitting there and doing that just sitting on it whilst churning out old sku's which are less powerful and offer less value for money.

If anyone thinks releasing a super is a bad idea they don't have a clue what they are saying.

If ocuk was to get say 10k GPU next month would you rather they got 10k older, less efficient and less powerful GPU or newer, more efficient and more powerful GPU?

I'm not Brazo, but I'll throw in my answer - I wouldn't care because I'm not a miner. So I'm not in the market for buying de facto mining cards at whatever price the mining market will bear. Nor am I a gaming hobbyist with enough of the right combination of wealth, determination and attraction to a specific platform to spend £1500 on a gaming PC that does gaming as well as a £400 console, let alone to spend £4000 on a gaming PC when that £400 console is more than adequate for the job. I place a high value on keyboard and mouse support, but the cost of keyboard and mouse support is now in the region of £1000. That's a very high price. There's modding, which is also valuable, but I'm not convinced that KB+M support and modding support are worth tripling or quadrupling the price of gaming hardware. Maybe possibly for me because I can't tolerate the abuse of your thumbs that is a console controller. But clearly most gamers can do so.

Soldato
If ocuk was to get say 10k GPU next month would you rather they got 10k older, less efficient and less powerful GPU or newer, more efficient and more powerful GPU?
Well if they did get 10k cards next month it would mean the supply chain is sorted and yes I’d agree with you. Unfortunately they won’t get any cards next month so it’s kinda irrelevant whether they are supers or not.

Soldato
I'm not Brazo, but I'll throw in my answer - I wouldn't care because I'm not a miner. So I'm not in the market for buying de facto mining cards at whatever price the mining market will bear. Nor am I a gaming hobbyist with enough of the right combination of wealth, determination and attraction to a specific platform to spend £1500 on a gaming PC that does gaming as well as a £400 console, let alone to spend £4000 on a gaming PC when that £400 console is more than adequate for the job. I place a high value on keyboard and mouse support, but the cost of keyboard and mouse support is now in the region of £1000. That's a very high price. There's modding, which is also valuable, but I'm not convinced that KB+M support and modding support are worth tripling or quadrupling the price of gaming hardware. Maybe possibly for me because I can't tolerate the abuse of your thumbs that is a console controller. But clearly most gamers can do so.

Can you use keyboard and mouse with ps5 or new xbox for games?
Can you web browse on the consoles and do youtube you? If so then id be interested in shifting to console.

Associate
Can you web browse on the consoles and do youtube you? If so then id be interested in shifting to console.

Yes to all of those, m/kb support on ps5 is limited to a few games atm, not sure about xbox as I dont own one but I do feel like m/kb support would be more widely available in games that support it for xbox.

Caporegime

You don't need to spend anywhere near £1500.

1660 super / 3060 and 3060ti should do the majority of gamers.

You can get a 3600, mobo and ram off MM for £200. That's also pretty high end gaming wise and won't need upgraded for 5+ years. Regardless of how many cores consoles are.

Soldato
Leakers claim the rx7900xt will be $2k usd so I can't see Nvidia getting away with $3k unless it's at least 20% faster than anything AMD has

But also the looks like sketchy - both price "leaks" for Nvidia and amd GPUs are just exactly double the ampere/rdna2 gpu prices

Man of Honour

A bit, sometimes. The basic support is there, but it's rarely used. Game devs seem generally ignorant of the fact that a non-trivial number of potential customers like KB+M. Or at least the decison-making level of game devs. Very much a case of tunnel vision. It's not that much work to add support for other well established basic input devices to a game.

No idea. If consoles had proper KB+M support, I'd probably keep my PC for non-gaming use. Or you could buy a bottom end PC for that (far more than adequate for that purpose) and a console for gaming and still spend much less money than a gaming PC would cost.

Leakers claim the rx7900xt will be $2k usd so I can't see Nvidia getting away with $3k unless it's at least 20% faster than anything AMD has

But also the looks like sketchy - both price "leaks" for Nvidia and amd GPUs are just exactly double the ampere/rdna2 gpu prices

Which would make sense if those mining cards had double the mining performance, especially if they used less than double the electricity (which would be the case).

Associate
Of course nV is going to try to milk as much as possible from the design, and enthusiasts like us (and miners who need to follow the ever-increasing hash curve) are easy pickings -- it's "Super" distasteful. First, we had cards with extra VRAM (going all the way back to the 7 series), Tis, then Titans, and now Supers -- all with the intent of segmenting the market in fine slices by price tiering, steepening the price curve/lowering price/performance each step, in accordance with surgical launch timing. I expect nV will need to introduce late-gen "Super Dupers" next gen to keep the machine growing. And for those saying "just switch to consoles", consoles aren't even safe from tiering now and will continue to get worse where MSFT and Sony are adopting the same model to capitalize on consumer's volition to always have "the best".

As for a 3090 Super, I don't think that's possible as I think 3090 already uses the totality of Cores and SMs GA102 offers -- unless it's just a speed bump which would be hilarious. I'd more expect the Supers to hit the high-end and mid-range cards where most of the volume can be had (and there's still legroom in those chips) e.g. 3060, 3070, 3080. 3090 likely won't be surpassed until 4000s (which will likely be a more architecturally-efficient Amphere on 5nm).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't think I will be investing in any of the Super cards as they will have very little to offer.

In fact I am thinking about going the other way and getting rid of my FE 3090 cards and using my old Titan V which still has impressive gaming performance.

People laughed when the Titan V was launched because of the price but it has proven to be far better value than any of the high end Turing or Ampere cards.

Associate
People laughed when the Titan V was launched because of the price but it has proven to be far better value than any of the high end Turing or Ampere cards.

Titan V's only been "better value" since prices (not just street prices, but MSRPs) have gone up astronomically over the past two gens, and generational cycles have gotten longer and longer. 9700 pro, GTX 680, 1080 TI... those were good value. There is no way in holy heckfire once can say a £2600 card is good value.

Back
Top Bottom