New build advice (High end)

Associate
Consoles are actually pushing games forward in SSD usage, because of their small memory.
Also Microsoft's DirectStorage API for same functionality on PC won't accept SATA SSDs, so better not to fill limited M.2 slots with small for budget drives.

Though well coded games are anyway able to blast through level loading at speed showing effect of drive's speed:
https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-us70-1tb-review/11/

Have to say quick on the XSX, and when booted up today and went back into game I started yesterday was instantaneous. Direct storage s/b coming to windows 10 too from what I've read, though was meant to be win 11 exclusive. Hence hopefully my sn850 will actually be quicker, so worth paying up for the gen4

Associate
OP
ok so im pretty happy with most bits now, its just the case im trying to work out, every time i think ive got it, i see people saying dont XD. i checked that 5000X and the 011, both of which are good but both that apparently need weird fan setups. are cases one of those things now that you just cant get perfect as 1 pro needs a con to balance it?

my current case was the zalman z11 plus which has done pretty well but is showing its age

Associate
building in 5000x as i type, just having a break. it comes 3 sp elite fans in front, which is pretty standard for a lot of cases. If you want to do little else, you can add another exhaust fan at the back and leave it at that, but you have multiple options if you want to add more. you have option of removing shield on front rear side and adding 3 more fans(you can put shield back after if you want which will then direct airflow over the cpu). you have option to add 3 fans to the top as well, as well as the one at back, so total of 10 fans...if you want an aio you can have a 360mm rad on top or front, and i think you can put on side too(would need to check, I've just stuck on top, with fans exhausting air), but if you using an air cooler, 3 at front, 1 at back and air cooler is all you need. the perforations on the bottom part means you can mount your psu with fan facing down, drawing air from under case, or facing up drawing air from inside case(seasonic recommends drawing air from inside case, but I'm doing from underneath..it wont be sitting on a carpet, so plenty of space to draw air in).
The 011d comes with no fans, so you'll have to budget for some...I'd recommend the Lian Li uni fans as they daisychain so cabling will be a lot easier..again you can fill it with fans or not, it's a personal choice.
All a bit different from my last build..came with one fan, no rgb...a lot simpler.
So both cases can have pretty standard setups, just you have options to expand if you want

Associate
OP
building in 5000x as i type, just having a break. it comes 3 sp elite fans in front, which is pretty standard for a lot of cases. If you want to do little else, you can add another exhaust fan at the back and leave it at that, but you have multiple options if you want to add more. you have option of removing shield on front rear side and adding 3 more fans(you can put shield back after if you want which will then direct airflow over the cpu). you have option to add 3 fans to the top as well, as well as the one at back, so total of 10 fans...if you want an aio you can have a 360mm rad on top or front, and i think you can put on side too(would need to check, I've just stuck on top, with fans exhausting air), but if you using an air cooler, 3 at front, 1 at back and air cooler is all you need. the perforations on the bottom part means you can mount your psu with fan facing down, drawing air from under case, or facing up drawing air from inside case(seasonic recommends drawing air from inside case, but I'm doing from underneath..it wont be sitting on a carpet, so plenty of space to draw air in).
The 011d comes with no fans, so you'll have to budget for some...I'd recommend the Lian Li uni fans as they daisychain so cabling will be a lot easier..again you can fill it with fans or not, it's a personal choice.
All a bit different from my last build..came with one fan, no rgb...a lot simpler.
So both cases can have pretty standard setups, just you have options to expand if you want

nice one, i went over some info and temp tests and stuff and a lot of people seem to rate the O11 as long as you get the fans right, im leaning towards that currently, its also less expensive which means more leeway with adding fans

Associate
nice one, i went over some info and temp tests and stuff and a lot of people seem to rate the O11 as long as you get the fans right, im leaning towards that currently, its also less expensive which means more leeway with adding fans
I had the 011d xl and the 5000x and had a make a choice..got the 5000x for £120 incl delivery so ended up being cheaper...sort of. had some ql120's i bought awhile ago I couldn't send back, but went all in:). Looks like a xmas tree now:cry:...tomorrow will hook up to monitor and install windows...and check nothing went wrong(fingers crossed)..kids home so done for the day. Was sorely tempted by the 011 xl, just couldn't justify the extra price diff
Ended up not using the sp fans it came with and went ql throughout

Associate
OP
I had the 011d xl and the 5000x and had a make a choice..got the 5000x for £120 incl delivery so ended up being cheaper...sort of. had some ql120's i bought awhile ago I couldn't send back, but went all in:). Looks like a xmas tree now:cry:...tomorrow will hook up to monitor and install windows...and check nothing went wrong(fingers crossed)..kids home so done for the day. Was sorely tempted by the 011 xl, just couldn't justify the extra price diff
Ended up not using the sp fans it came with and went ql throughout

i dont have the space for the XL version so i would just be sticking with the standard O11, its just a few CM taller which in turn makes it a little too close to the max limit i have, i think it would leave like 1.5cm from top of case to bottom of where it would stand XD

Associate
i dont have the space for the XL version so i would just be sticking with the standard O11, its just a few CM taller which in turn makes it a little too close to the max limit i have, i think it would leave like 1.5cm from top of case to bottom of where it would stand XD
I never looked closely at the standard size as liked the rgb strip down front of the xl, and didn't want razer edition. If it's the same thing i liked was the space in the back for cable management etc. It's meant to be a little shallow for some air coolers but just checked you've got an aio. Just put in the h150i xt pro(bit of a mouthfull) in my build. I bought it 2nd hand from someone stripping out a system for the gpu. It's not worth the £159 in my opinion. As I got it cheap, I ditched the fans and added another row of ql120's(tried the sp's from case 1st but at eye level you don't really see anything)..no rgb at all on them, so expensive for what it is compared to others. Arctic Freezer II a lot cheaper and better from reviews, though personally don't like the pump head on it..the corsair pumphead does look good, and blends in well with everything I have.
If you still looking at stuff and want a fast nvme, saw the corsair 1Tb mp600 pcie gen 4 for £128 from another seller, including heatspreader. That's a great price. also seen the mp600 core (still 4900 read, but write just under 2000) for £109 including the heatspreader

Back
Top Bottom