Potential PSU issue?

Associate
I upgraded my sons PC the other month with a 1080 (my old one as I finally managed to get a 3070ti) however i'm thinking that his current PSU is not quite up to par.

The current spec for his PC:

Gigabyte Z97X SLI mobo
i5 4690k (not OC)
SSD 500g
HDD (1tb)
16gb RAM
Corsair CV650 PSU

His previous GPU was a 1650 Super which ran perfectly fine, however now he's getting crashes whilst playing fortnite (usually happens once or twice an hour) - the PC doesn't crash just the game however we have had a few BSODs recently with the Power Kernel 41 error

I can't seem to find any specs online for the CV650 so can't tell if this PSU is ok with running a 1080 but my gut says that it's probably a bit on the cheap side and should be upgraded.

Any thoughts?

Associate
A good quality 550W PSU is more than capable of running a 1080. That unit however, is on the budget side and if it's a few years old, may have degraded to the point where it can't handle a sudden power spike from the GPU. Something like this would be ample: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-06w-ss.html although if you ever plan to put in a more powerful GPU or want to OC the system, a 650W - 750W unit would give you some headroom.

Back
Top Bottom