OcUK Dadsnet thread

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My wife never wanted to breast feed.
Very sensitive nipples.. heh.

Anyway, she tried, baby wouldn't latch.

So we bottle fed the expensive stuff. He's very good and is 3 years old now.

Breast isn't always best.. especially if you can't get the milk out. Lol
Same, my wife didn't want to breast feed, didn't like it at all. Being male i clearly didn't care either way. We used Aptimil and all was fine, we bought a machine which made it semi-automatically at the right temp, etc. Was a non issue.

Soldato
The total lack of support during that time is another story which has impacted us massively.

You're not alone mate, ours is 13 months now so also born right in the middle of it and we basically got absolutely zero support or even really any advice or help in any way. I wasn't in the hospital between the end of the time in the delivery room and picking them both up the following afternoon (also because COVID of course) but my wife said she was expecting maybe the midwives were going to check on her and give her some pointers for feeding, but they did nothing of the sort. Likewise pretty much no resource or advice/support afterwards either so we simply gave up on breastfeeding almost right away (don't regret it to be honest, kind of feel like it's a bit of a con anyway; bunch of salty old midwives who can't take that there is a nice modern solution in formula that makes life easier than they had it, so they pile on the judgement and guilt tripping to try and make you suffer as well)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
@Ev0 Sorry to hear, it's unbelievable how such an important part of life is just brushed aside.
Hope things pick up for you all.

Thanks!

It’s all good now, one the feeding was sorted everything’s been fine.

Did move to solely formula fed after 10 weeks and it was noticeably better for everyone involved.

The longer term issues from the situation are more mental for my wife, it all really impacted her and her enjoyment (lack of) with things which is something you can’t get back.

Soldato
OP
We had all sorts of problems with this. We literally never were able to get her to latch on, despite plenty of midwives jiggling and squishing my wife's tit in her face, and so we did a mix of formula with pumped milk, because it also turned out that she had issues with milk production.

She's 5 now and she's grand.

Soldato
It's great isn't it :D

Aye, it’s worth it.

He’s just started teething, not cutting but definitely on their way as he’s gnawing on things, dribbling everywhere and has pain on and off.
Calpol to the rescue that morning once we’d exhausted everything else, then he was golden until 9am.

I was not the most enthusiastic person at work yesterday :p

Soldato
Daughter's first week at school this week and she's loving it. I was expecting tears and reluctance but she was straight in there. I think she's rather be there than here as its more fun!

I never realised how much of a ball ache having to pick her up at 3:10pm would be. We're very fortunate that I'm still going to be working from home for the foreseeable future and she's in after school club 2 days a week. I genuinely don't know how parents who both work full time managed before working from home was such a common occurrence.

Soldato
Daughter's first week at school this week and she's loving it. I was expecting tears and reluctance but she was straight in there. I think she's rather be there than here as its more fun!

I never realised how much of a ball ache having to pick her up at 3:10pm would be. We're very fortunate that I'm still going to be working from home for the foreseeable future and she's in after school club 2 days a week. I genuinely don't know how parents who both work full time managed before working from home was such a common occurrence.
lol I said this to myself yesterday. I also feel extremely fortunate that my wife was on maternity whilst the hardest parts of lockdown were endured I have folks who must have had 3/4 kids at home whilst they were trying to work!

Soldato

School clubs:D. I pick the kids up at 5 as I get in at 4 (1 hour of pure silence is priceless:cry:).

Soldato
The 2 days of after school club are great as there's no guilt. When I picked her up yesterday and then had to come home and work for another hour and a half, I felt terrible just leaving her in the other room with the TV on and a sandwich.

I couldn't even imagine having 2 or 3 kids and having to get them all up, fed and out the door. No wonder a lot of couples have one parent who works part time.

Soldato
Is it normal for a baby to sleep sound with music? I've played a bit of music some with bass and my baby sleeps through it, literally if he's sleeping the ONLY thing that wakes him usually is if he's hungry or has soiled his pants.

Caporegime
Is it normal for a baby to sleep sound with music? I've played a bit of music some with bass and my baby sleeps through it, literally if he's sleeping the ONLY thing that wakes him usually is if he's hungry or has soiled his pants.

Depends how loud and proximity to baby I would have thought. Or baby could have hearing issues?

My wee man is a very light sleeper even talking in the next room wakes him up.

Soldato

I have my gaming PC in the next room to our daughter, she's 4 at the end of January & I never used to need to pussyfoot around her & turn it down. She goes to bed at 7 (we don't make her sleep at 7 if she wants to watch something in bed though) and sleeps just fine even if I fire up a noisy game with the sound cranked up.

We can go in her room & put clothes in her wardrobe etc and it only disturbs her if it's morning, some kids are just really heavy sleepers.

She only really wakes up in the night now if she has a bad dream or needs the toilet, with the latter she just sorts herself out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have my gaming PC in the next room to our daughter, she's 4 at the end of January & I never used to need to pussyfoot around her & turn it down. She goes to bed at 7 (we don't make her sleep at 7 if she wants to watch something in bed though) and sleeps just fine even if I fire up a noisy game with the sound cranked up.

We can go in her room & put clothes in her wardrobe etc and it only disturbs her if it's morning, some kids are just really heavy sleepers.

She only really wakes up in the night now if she has a bad dream or needs the toilet, with the latter she just sorts herself out.
We've got one of each, sometimes my daughter will be woken up my me creeping down the stairs, my son could probably sleep through an earthquake thpigh:cry:.

Soldato
Yes, both ours sleep with normal noise going on, we don't reduce noise for them. No keeping around.

Soldato
I think newborns sleep extremely heavily in general, even to the point where they'll just sleep in full daylight in a room full of people because I guess they just need that much sleep. But after a few months they settle into whatever their actual level of sleep-heaviness is going to be; in our case it's pretty middle of the road - she doesn't really get disturbed by noise from another room provided it isn't excessive, but would probably stir if one of us went into her room and started making noise moving things around

Related question - we're looking ahead to Christmas and considering visiting family, but my parents place is a little cramped for us + the baby, and we are worried about her sleeping badly and disturbing everyone. So thinking about booking a place to stay instead, but what is the best thing to do there? Most hotel rooms are just the 1 room + bathroom, so feel like if we put her down to bed we'd then have to walk on eggshells and likely would still struggle not to keep waking her up. What do people do? AirBNB maybe that would give us more than one room?

Soldato
Our daughter slept better with noise going on around her when she was a baby. Obviously not exaggerated noise to the point of it being deafening but the general ambient noises that you'd expect in a house.

Even now she's 4, once she's asleep, we don't stay quiet. Some kids are just heavy sleepers.

Soldato
If you weren't just a stranger from over the internet I'd show you some photos of mine literally asleep on my computer desk whilst I watched YouTube videos; similarly I completed every season of Trailer Park Boys whilst she slept on the pouffe.

Once she hit 3/4 months we got serious with trying to build a routine and that involves 'Alexa, open brown noise' which is just a normal white noise loop. We keep the noise down as much as possible but it certainly travels in our old house and she stays asleep.

Back
Top Bottom