Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [10th - 13th Sept 2021]

Don
Hopefully you're right and it's not a terrible one. Based on next to no knowledge I'd have thought a break would have been better than ligament damage.

Re the tackle, I'm not sure I agree that those tackles aren't usually reds. Any time a player is jumping into a challenge it's a red or at least should be. As soon as a player leaves the ground they have zero control of their bodies, with 70, 80 or 90kg flying through the air. The moment that sort of force makes a clean connection with another player the chance of injury is huge and that's exactly what happened yesterday.

The ref didn't even blow for a foul, Baz. They are common tackles. You probably have seen that video of Maldini back in the 90s showing everyone 'how to win the ball back', its a similar situation.

Don
The ref didn't even blow for a foul, Baz. They are common tackles. You probably have seen that video of Maldini back in the 90s showing everyone 'how to win the ball back', its a similar situation.
Jumping into a challenge from behind isn't common. Had he slid into the challenge then fair enough but that wasn't the case - he's had a rush of blood and lunged into the tackle with no control. Lets see Leeds appeal the decision and see how successful they'll be.

Don
Didn't he ? The ref was already going to give a red, before VAR, they said so. Was just waiting for the treatment.
That was just your typical bs from the PGMOL. The ref didn't even blow for a foul and was told to give the red by VAR.

The ref is looking at it from the wrong side though so it's easy to see why he's not given a foul. From where he's looking he can only see the first leg winning the ball and may not have been able to see the 2nd leg, off the ground, scissoring Elliott.

Associate
Think it totally wrecks the ligaments as well. People who dislocate shoulders are never the same again in relation to that arm, can't see why an ankle would be different and obviously a lot more force goes through it
Can confirm this regarding shoulder dislocations from personal experience and three operations.

Soldato
If you're tackling from behind, off the ground and your trailing knee comes down on to the oppositions leg to such a degree that you dislocate an ankle, I think it's very difficult to claim that you're in control of the tackle or that you're not endangering a player. Fortunately those incidents are few and far between, and most of those tackles pass without incident.

Caporegime
He's launched himself with his whole body off the ground, trapped the ball with his right foot but because he's not in control of his body his full weight has come down on the back of Elliott's leg as he's fallen. I didn't think that it was a red initially but it definitely is. It looks a bit different to the two-footed tackles where players launch themselves feet first like two-footed missiles but the same physics are involved, a player off the ground, out of control with his full weight going into whatever he makes contact with first, either the ground or a player.

Caporegime
I suppose you could argue that whenever a player falls down there's the potential to land on another players leg and break it which would be a freak accident but in this case he hasn't just fallen, he's taken a running a jump, won the ball fairly I thought but at the same time is not in control of his body until after he's hit the ground, which unfortunately was after landing on Elliott's leg. It wasn't malicious, just reckless.

Don
If Elliott said that he's being very gracious. As for why Dale Johnson's used those words, I'd guess it's because he's not got any proper replays to go off. I could link to Dermot Gallagher also saying it's a red but that wouldn't be fair as he just agrees with everything that the official give. There's no way Leeds will successfully overturn that red though and I doubt they'll even bother appealing. You cannot jump into challenges and if you do and make contact, you're getting sent off.

Don
E_LCcBtWYAgbVJn

Back
Top Bottom