Do you need a 4k projector screen?

Soldato
I’m looking at a 4k projector on the lower end of the price range, which I assume will use mirrors/pixel shifting so not true 4k. Will I need a 4k screen?

I was looking at this screen and this projector although not finalised anything. I can’t use a fixed screen because of the location.

I’m going for as much real estate as possible for a mixture of film and ps5.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Man of Honour
Simple answer: no

Ebay and Amazon sellers like to throw every possible variant at something in an attempt to assure prospective customers that they're buying the right thing... even if those assurances include info that's irrelevant or just plain wrong. I wouldn't be too surprised if some ads claimed that the screens were Dolby Atmos compatible ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
You can save a ton of money and just paint the wall. I've seen this amazing 16k compatible paint specifically designed for upcoming resolutions, only £99/litre. No brainer.

Exactly. Paint the wall. However this requires having a fairly smooth/sanded wall.

Soldato
OP
Ok so there isn’t a 4k screen but now I’ve been looking into screens further I’m unsure what to go for.

Do I go for something like I posted above which I presume is a generic Chinese manufacture. It’s £300 for a motorised tab tension screen or do I go for a better screen from somewhere like Richer Sounds? My max budget is £500 which can only get me a motorised screen without the tab tension from RS.

The screen will not be down most of the time as it’s in front of a door way which I assume may affect the screen for waves and ripples etc so would the cheaper screen be better with the tab tension? As much as I’d like a cinema quality screen I need to be realistic with my budget I guess and as this is only for occasional use I can’t justify spending too much on the whole thing.

Man of Honour
Some of the cheaper generic screens, cheap being relative to the technology used, have awful surfaces with a really crude attempt to enhance the image quality just resulting in a sparkly look and degradation of the colours if you aren't bang on centre of it.

Strangely enough the best surface I actually found, short of spending a lot of money, was actually a super cheap, no frills, no attempt to make it something special, screen - the only problem was getting it properly flat.

Back
Top Bottom