• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X temps seem high

Soldato
So I swapped from a 2700X to a 5800X (great performance uplift, very happy), but man it runs hot. I have a 280mm AIO and it'll peak around 85C under sustained load. It idles at about 35C which is grand, but under even a small load (eg running a virus scan) it throws massive volts at the chip and temps will shoot up immediately to 75C. like 1.45V for these low load boosts. Sustained max load it'll be much less, but still.

Is this all normal or should I be reseating my cooler?

Soldato
So I swapped from a 2700X to a 5800X (great performance uplift, very happy), but man it runs hot. I have a 280mm AIO and it'll peak around 85C under sustained load. It idles at about 35C which is grand, but under even a small load (eg running a virus scan) it throws massive volts at the chip and temps will shoot up immediately to 75C. like 1.45V for these low load boosts. Sustained max load it'll be much less, but still.

Is this all normal or should I be reseating my cooler?

normal. Unfortunately, they run hot AF, Not exaggerating they're harder to keep cool than a 5950x lmao... I had one - my suggestion is undervolt it and slap some thermal grizzly it'll help

Associate
They are hot chips, but then they do perform. Can't remember what sort of temps I saw at default, but it was high. Running negative offset with curve optimiser and +150mhz, every core can hit 5ghz and it peaks just over 70 degrees typically on sustained benchmarking. Still hotter than I'm used to but an improvement.

Soldato
As per other comments

the 5800xt is hot af, that's what happens when you throw 105w through a single zen chiplet.

Both the 5900x and 5950x run significantly cooler than the 5800x. For reference a stock 5950x on a 280mm you'd be looking at 65c instead of 85c

Back
Top Bottom