Who here owns a Mini?

Caporegime
We’re going to get some roof bars and a roof box for it, and continue enjoying just how damn good it is to drive for another 2 years or so. I love it. I really do.

I bought mine blind tbh, and really was surprised at how well it drove on the way back home (Chester to Stoke). Chuffed with the purchase, can't wait to MoT it and take it on a really *really* good long drive :)

Soldato
I've been looking at Mini's again for a track car and there are so many R56's but I'm too scared to buy an N14! There are loads that have had the timing chain replaced, but is it still too much of a risk?

Caporegime
I've been looking at Mini's again for a track car and there are so many R56's but I'm too scared to buy an N14! There are loads that have had the timing chain replaced, but is it still too much of a risk?

So why not go for an R53 then? Much more reliable, and just as fun, if not more so. Much cheaper too.

Soldato
So why not go for an R53 then? Much more reliable, and just as fun, if not more so. Much cheaper too.

Yeh I have considered an R53, but after having one already, doing all the modifications and having a blast with it, I just fancy something different. And the thing is, I'd want a facelift R53 with the raft of improvements, and facelift R53's are more expensive than what I can get a 2007-2009 R56 for.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I traded in my F55 Cooper S back in June for an F54 clubman Cooper S.

We actually have two clubman's in the house now. It's a much more refined car vs the smaller minis and as such probably feels less "fun". I thought the barn doors were going to be annoying but it turns out that they are more useful that I realised and now quite like them.

Soldato
The infotainment (F55) is saying that the car needs front brake pads in 2600 miles. If I got them done at an independent, would the infotainment continue telling me that it needs brake pads because the garage won't have the software to update it?

Soldato
The infotainment (F55) is saying that the car needs front brake pads in 2600 miles. If I got them done at an independent, would the infotainment continue telling me that it needs brake pads because the garage won't have the software to update it?

You can reset the warning through the cluster.

You’re going to need a new brake wear sensor as that is what starts the count down from 3200 miles. I’d check the inner side of the disc for corrosion it’s a fairly common issue so you may need new discs aswell. If they are corroded I would run the pads right down and replace both.

Soldato
You can reset the warning through the cluster.

You’re going to need a new brake wear sensor as that is what starts the count down from 3200 miles. I’d check the inner side of the disc for corrosion it’s a fairly common issue so you may need new discs aswell. If they are corroded I would run the pads right down and replace both.

Thanks for the info.

I had a look at the Brembo discs and pads on Euro Car Parts and their "Fit it for me" service, but it's only about £69 cheaper than going to Mini directly. Doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Soldato

I really like these, I think its because my Grandad despite being over 6FT tall used to own the originals. How practical is it? I've got two young kids so I dont think its any good for me anytime soon but maybe in a few years, I'm also desperate for more performance than what my current car provides.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I really like these, I think its because my Grandad despite being over 6FT tall used to own the originals. How practical is it? I've got two young kids so I dont think its any good for me anytime soon but maybe in a few years, I'm also desperate for more performance than what my current car provides.
Practicality seems good. Holds 4 adults comfortably, 3 of which are over 6ft. This is better than the 5 door F20 M140 my dad had prior. The barn doors are more convenient than I expected.

Performance on the Cooper S is pretty decent, it's not going to wow anyone used to a current hot hatch as it's only 192hp but it's ample for my needs. A JCW model deals with the need for more, though it is significantly more at 306hp. It also adds 4 wheel drive and 8 speed auto-box.

Soldato
The thing that surprised me about the F54 Clubman is just how much wider it feels on the inside compared to the F55. Definitely made it feel like a better car for long journeys.

Soldato
Practicality seems good. Holds 4 adults comfortably, 3 of which are over 6ft. This is better than the 5 door F20 M140 my dad had prior. The barn doors are more convenient than I expected.

Performance on the Cooper S is pretty decent, it's not going to wow anyone used to a current hot hatch as it's only 192hp but it's ample for my needs. A JCW model deals with the need for more, though it is significantly more at 306hp. It also adds 4 wheel drive and 8 speed auto-box.

Thanks, I've never owned a car more than 200bhp and don't intend to I think that's just about the right amount of power depending on the car obviously

190bhp in that will feel like a rocket compared to mine. Anyway I'm dreaming it's just not big enough for my needs so maybe when the kids are a bit older. Short list at the moment is the corolla 2.0 estate and Kia pro ceed GT

Soldato
Once I move over to the Mini extended warranty later this year, do we know whether there is any rule as far as switching to non-runflats goes?

My F56 has them at the moment and they're ok but I can't help but think the ride would be improved without them.

Does anyone have any experience of this on the hatch?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
Used to have a great little 1275GT at university, until I didn't. Was slightly modified and very much a go kart for the roads. Man, I miss that. I loved blasting around the lanes surrounding Bath in that thing.
First time I did 100mph (indicated) was in a 1275GT with my dad driving in the 70's. I remember him talking about the old Dunlop Denovo tyres with their early run flat technology and how awful they were in the wet. One of my earliest car memories.

Associate
We actually have two clubman's in the house now. It's a much more refined car vs the smaller minis and as such probably feels less "fun". I thought the barn doors were going to be annoying but it turns out that they are more useful that I realised and now quite like them.

Loving the blue on that, I have been looking into the new F54 JCW which is the 300bhp 4wd version that has the engine from the new BMW 135i X-drive. 0-60mph in 4.9 seconds its the fastest Mini ever built in a straight line(Before I get told the GP3 has the same engine and handles better, its actually slower at 5.2 due to being fwd). I've never driven an F55 so interested to hear your thoughts on that compared to the hatch. The F56 hatch never handled as well out the box as previous gens buts thats easily sorted with a decent set of coilovers etc.

Once I move over to the Mini extended warranty later this year, do we know whether there is any rule as far as switching to non-runflats goes?
Does anyone have any experience of this on the hatch?

Thanks!

I've removed run flats from every new mini I have owned(Around 8). Some tyre places are really nervous doing it but there is no rules to say you cant, you just need to let your insurer know. From what I understand an alloy wheel has to be slightly different in design to work with run flats, from memory an additional lip/hump, this means that you cannot fit fun flat tyres to none run flat designed wheels but you can do the reverse as in switching from run flat tyres to non run flat tyres on the stock wheels. Best thing you can ever do for handling on a new mini as the rock hard run flats ruin the experience for me.

First time I did 100mph (indicated) was in a 1275GT with my dad driving in the 70's. I remember him talking about the old Dunlop Denovo tyres with their early run flat technology and how awful they were in the wet. One of my earliest car memories.

Having been around new minis for the last 12 years plus, I still havent driven a classic/Pre-BMW one. Something I really need to do at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've removed run flats from every new mini I have owned(Around 8). Some tyre places are really nervous doing it but there is no rules to say you cant, you just need to let your insurer know. From what I understand an alloy wheel has to be slightly different in design to work with run flats, from memory an additional lip/hump, this means that you cannot fit fun flat tyres to none run flat designed wheels but you can do the reverse as in switching from run flat tyres to non run flat tyres on the stock wheels. Best thing you can ever do for handling on a new mini as the rock hard run flats ruin the experience for me.
Great, thanks. Were you running the warranty at that time or no?

Associate
Isn't still the F54 but now LCI? Anyhow, when I changed my F54 Clubman SD I strongly considered the JCW Clubman, but I landed on an M135i instead - purely for the nicer interior, proper HUD and iDrive 7. That and the barn doors on the Clubman got a bit old me for after a while.

Yeah my type im so used to type R55 for the original clubman, its the F54 as you say. BMW's have never done anything for me, my mate Jason at Millsys Autos keepings trying to convince me to go for a BMW but I just dont fancy one, not even sure why.

Great, thanks. Were you running the warranty at that time or no?

With the amount I've modified them, warranty was never a consideration. However when my old R55 clubbies engine went bang it was covered under warranty, even though it had aftermarket/none run flat wheels and tyres. It wasnt a problem for them although every dealership is different so maybe worth checking with your local dealership although im sure they will try and convince you to not do it the none OEM way.

Back
Top Bottom