• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU/PC Problem

Associate
Hi all,

I have what I think is a major problem with my PC following a CPU update yesterday. Before I go into detail am I allowed to ask for tech help on here and is this the right section.

Many Thanks

Associate
OP
Thank you.

I have a dedicated gaming PC for Train Simulator via Steam with a few household items on it which me and my wife use. We have just purchased a new laptop for all the personal stuff so I have been in the process of moving the non gaming items across to the laptop getting the desktop ready for 100% gaming use only.

During the above process I decided to make sure the PC was updated in all areas so after all the obvious ones I moved on to graphics card and CPU. I was a little uncertain about the CPU updating process so I researched AMD Radeon updates online and found myself being pointed towards AMD Adrenaline.

I clicked on to a page and the tool seemed to read the specs of my PC and point me towards the suggested update, I clicked "next" and was given an update menu and I selected the choice of updating only, leaving my CPU as found. the other option was a full install including updates however it pointed out that I would lose any settings that had been applied to my CPU on purchase and I did not like the sound of this.

I continued with the first option above and within 30 seconds my monitor went completely black and that was that. I waited in the hope something was going to happen or the PC was being re-started however nothing happened. I had to force the PC to stop by holding down the power button and since then whenever I restart it the screen is blank.

I get the feeling I have somehow managed to wipe the CPU?

Sorry to be vague with the specs on the PC but I cannot get into the PC to read them and post them here but from memory I have:

250gb SSD hard drive
8mb RAM
Windows 10
AMD Radeon CPU
Nvidia Graphics Card

I have a feeling I know what the answers are going to be as it looks like I have been stupid however any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Sounds like your system has apu and nvidia card it possibly changed the default graphics being used is there a hdmi or display port on the io panel? this is just a guess we need the full specs

Associate
CPU updating process so I researched AMD Radeon updates online and found myself being pointed towards AMD Adrenaline.
Sounds like nothing major has been broken, but may be a bit tricky to recover.

Source of confusion is that you probably have an AMD Ryzen CPU, not AMD Radeon. And if as Dg834man suggests, your CPU has Radeon integrated graphics, explains why AMD Adrenaline didn't complain when installing

After installing AMD Adrenaline, which are graphics drivers, Windows may have changed the default video output device.
Experiment by plugging monitor hdmi/displayport cable in different ports, including those on motherboard. See if you can coax an image to the monitor.

Soldato
AMD Radeon CPU
Nvidia Graphics Card

Exactly which AMD CPU do you have? Radeon is the graphics card line. Some AMD CPUs have inbuilt and limited Radeon graphics chips.

And when you say CPU update, what exactly did you do? Which utilities did you run? Which website did you visit?

Do you have a new CPU waiting to go in? If so, which one is it? If you have an older system you may require a BIOS update to support the newer CPU.

Associate
OP
All sorted thanks guys, thank you for your help. Dg834man & alec were spot on. The update automatically switched my monitor from Graphics card to motherboard. After plugging the monitor into the motherboard the screen came to life and I was able to log back in. Fortunately the update was waiting for a command from me and was still sitting there so I cancelled it, swapped my monitor lead back and I am back in a good place.

Many thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom