• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3*** Super and 4*** cards in 2022

Man of Honour
Titan V's only been "better value" since prices (not just street prices, but MSRPs) have gone up astronomically over the past two gens, and generational cycles have gotten longer and longer. 9700 pro, GTX 680, 1080 TI... those were good value. There is no way in holy heckfire once can say a £2600 card is good value.

A Titan V is still better at professional work than any Turing or Ampere card so yes the old Volta card is exceptional value for money.

Soldato
OP
Supers due in Jan and 4000's in Oct 22

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/s...nuary-2021geforce-rtx-40-in-october-2022.html

Thoughts? Annoyed? Couldn't care less?

I'm sure the 3090 Super will annoy the current 3090 owners who thought they got the cream of the crop?

3060 Super cards going for £700+ :D

3090 Super for £2k?

Jeez

I jested on the 2k 3090 Super price

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-12r-zt.html

A 3090 NON super is already £2400 :o:rolleyes::eek:

£3k 3090 supers ahead?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
Soldato
Of course nV is going to try to milk as much as possible from the design, and enthusiasts like us (and miners who need to follow the ever-increasing hash curve) are easy pickings -- it's "Super" distasteful. First, we had cards with extra VRAM (going all the way back to the 7 series), Tis, then Titans, and now Supers -- all with the intent of segmenting the market in fine slices by price tiering, steepening the price curve/lowering price/performance each step, in accordance with surgical launch timing. I expect nV will need to introduce late-gen "Super Dupers" next gen to keep the machine growing. And for those saying "just switch to consoles", consoles aren't even safe from tiering now and will continue to get worse where MSFT and Sony are adopting the same model to capitalize on consumer's volition to always have "the best".

As for a 3090 Super, I don't think that's possible as I think 3090 already uses the totality of Cores and SMs GA102 offers -- unless it's just a speed bump which would be hilarious. I'd more expect the Supers to hit the high-end and mid-range cards where most of the volume can be had (and there's still legroom in those chips) e.g. 3060, 3070, 3080. 3090 likely won't be surpassed until 4000s (which will likely be a more architecturally-efficient Amphere on 5nm).

It does not use the full core, the 3090 that is. There is a slight cut on some bits from the full GA102 core on the Shaders, TMU and ROPS. Talking 2.5% on the cores for example 10752 Full fat GA102 @ vs 3090 @ 10496 which in actual performance would translate to 1% or something. I suppose if they do up the stock power on FE model, may help with clock speeds. Overall I suppose, they got bunch of full GA102 cores on hand so may be thinking to punt them as a more expensive Super SKU then cut them down. I can fully imagine they will sell some, more so FE no issue with the market as it is.

Soldato
Instead of releasing newer versions.....why can;t they just make more of the current ones :p

little thing called a chip shortage

this is an side effect of capitalism business models. You build your manufacturing capacity to be just enough to meet or slightly undermeet demand. It's inefficient waste of money to over develop your supply if there is no matching demand.

Because of this when demand overshoots supply it takes some time for capacity to catch up. The electronics industry just takes a lot longer to catch up than others because building new fabs takes several years

Man of Honour
2.5%? Nvidia really are taking the #### if they stick that on the market and call it the 3090 Super.

Ampere is already a pretty poor product, another 2.5% performance is really not going to help much.

Poor silicon (thanks Samsung).
High power draw.
Massive coolers.
Poor DX12 performance.
Overpriced.

I think NVidia should call it a day with Ampere and put all their efforts into the next gen of cards.

Back
Top Bottom