Grammar Nazi, or educator?

Capodecina
Soldato
It's not about what they mean. It's about how they convey it and how they can definitely do better... I know, because that's how I got better at it myself, and how everyone else got better at it.
It's like your mum telling you not to talk like a London gangstah-rapper.

This is true. It's also about how you appear.

I had a boss like that, "oh, they know what I mean". Yes, but you look ignorant.

Soldato
I was standing in the Post Office queue earlier and reading a banner poster advertising PO services

Avoid the ques... get our que jumping (something), I could read no further.

But then I read; If your using a franking machine...

Do they employ numpty poster designers and printers? I would have thought that the Post Office at least should be literate? Perhaps they compensate by being extra numerate however I do not see that either. It should be point of principle not to place material likely to denigrate your image in public view.

Man of Honour
OP
There is a respectful way of telling someone, the times i have been corrected were almost always put in a very rude way

Maybe they were trying to be helpful, but you interpreted their help as rude or disrespectful.
Thinks; Jeez, I hope that I never tried to gently help dave28 ‍:eek:

Soldato
I was standing in the Post Office queue earlier and reading a banner poster advertising PO services

Avoid the ques... get our que jumping (something), I could read no further.

But then I read; If your using a franking machine...

That's frankly appalling :o especially when you think how many people would have seen it before being displayed!

Associate
A Word document.
I was producing a quotation for technical project. Word decided to help me out. I wanted to type "Borehole Pump Set" Word had other ideas. "Brothel Dump Site" she decided..............

Soldato
Ignoring the apostrophe, isn't MoT more technically correct than MOT?

Unless I'm mistaken, it stands for Ministry of Transport (test), where the "of" is lower case
So it does! I don't know what I thought it stood for, but it wasn't that.

Now it's going to bug me that "getting an MOT" doesn't make much sense.

Man of Honour
One that does bother me a bit is the company policy reminder posters spread around on walls at work - someone obviously rushed it and it looks so unprofessional to anyone who might visit. Been up a few years and I keep thinking I should just replace it myself and see how long before anyone notices.

Back
Top Bottom