pihole, pfsense on windows ?

Associate
You could technically run Pihole in a VM on the machine you use everyday, Virtualbox in bridged mode would work if you can't use Hyper V. I've been running it for years on Ubuntu 18.04.x with only 512MB ram dedicated, blocked addresses are 2.1 Million and currently using 23GB of space (never really done any cleanup of the OS). A browser with Ublock Origin is best imo, but it's nice to have every device on your home network covered, mobiles, tablets, PC's etc.

Soldato
OP
You could technically run Pihole in a VM on the machine you use everyday, Virtualbox in bridged mode would work if you can't use Hyper V. I've been running it for years on Ubuntu 18.04.x with only 512MB ram dedicated, blocked addresses are 2.1 Million and currently using 23GB of space (never really done any cleanup of the OS). A browser with Ublock Origin is best imo, but it's nice to have every device on your home network covered, mobiles, tablets, PC's etc.
I dont think I have that much spare space, the only reason I wanted to use pi-hole was for this reason, I can have ad blocker on my pc but and maybe my own phone but not on everything else like other mobile devices and on top of that the tv, using google is not that family-friendly on the tv, searching for thing its a very high chance when clicking a new site you will get forward to some adult site.

Soldato
OP
You'd be far better off putting Pihole on a Pi, will be a lot less hassle.
I've been thinking the same, would a pi zero do the job?
also is it a snadalone board or would i also need a charger and other bits, ive never really looked it to pi's.

Soldato
I've been thinking the same, would a pi zero do the job?
also is it a snadalone board or would i also need a charger and other bits, ive never really looked it to pi's.

You can buy the kits - the Pi is basically a board. The kits typically come with case and PSU.

M.

Back
Top Bottom