• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 FE RMA opinion?

Associate
So after 'squeezing' my graphics my mem temps went 5 degrees higher - oops. So went through the repad process. As i've never taken apart a GPU like this before I took my time. Far too much time, a few mistakes here and there, but the result is fantastic. I used Gelid Extreme 1.5mm and 2mm and TF8 thermal paste. Did the back and front of the card.

Gaming Memory temps max out at 79 degrees (haven't tried ray traced games yet0.
Mining at 100MH/s now tops out at 82 degrees. My FTW3080 had decent thermal pads and topped out at 90MH/s with 96 degrees. The awful stock 3090 couldn't go over 87MH/s without hitting 100 degrees.
All my other workloads will never top mining in terms of load on the memory so as long as the temps hold up very happy.

It's just a shame after spending £1500 you have to spend hours dismantling and rebuilding the card not to mention spending money on thermal pads and paste..

Associate
So after 'squeezing' my graphics my mem temps went 5 degrees higher - oops. So went through the repad process. As i've never taken apart a GPU like this before I took my time. Far too much time, a few mistakes here and there, but the result is fantastic. I used Gelid Extreme 1.5mm and 2mm and TF8 thermal paste. Did the back and front of the card.

Mining at 100MH/s now tops out at 82 degrees. My FTW3080 had decent thermal pads and topped out at 90MH/s with 96 degrees. The awful stock 3090 couldn't go over 87MH/s without hitting 100 degrees.
All my other workloads will never top mining in terms of load on the memory so as long as the temps hold up very happy.

It's just a shame after spending £1500 you have to spend hours dismantling and rebuilding the card not to mention spending money on thermal pads and paste..

Glad you got the results you wanted.

Permabanned

I warned about squeezing the cards, you ignored and went ahead and squeezed the card anyway :cry:

It is rightly not good from Nvidia to use average pads and charge over £500 for a card but 3 series cards run fine temp wise while gaming. It's all you miners moaning. That's what the warranty is there for.

Permabanned
Well, I opened the squeezed card, and then tightened the core screws ( 2hours to do this) and now the core is back to normal but the card's T Junction just jumps straight to 110c in seconds, this is with the pads in there. Card is bricked.

Soldato
Hmmm, bit worried about this thread now.
I ordered one of the GPU support braces that Mushta advises earlier in the thread. It’s not come yet but I’m now wary of trying it given the increase in core temps some are saying in here after ‘squeezing’ their cards.

What’s the deal here?

Associate
I warned about squeezing the cards, you ignored and went ahead and squeezed the card anyway :cry:

It is rightly not good from Nvidia to use average pads and charge over £500 for a card but 3 series cards run fine temp wise while gaming. It's all you miners moaning. That's what the warranty is there for.
You live and you learn :p. Nothing like first hand experience.

When I initially squeezed it, temps went down, but the deformation of those pads isn't precise, and if the pressure is released and applied again it doesn't have the same effect and in my case definitely worse.

Hmmm, bit worried about this thread now.
I ordered one of the GPU support braces that Mushta advises earlier in the thread. It’s not come yet but I’m now wary of trying it given the increase in core temps some are saying in here after ‘squeezing’ their cards.

What’s the deal here?

Whatever we do to change our cards is a risk, re-padding or using supports. You have to judge for yourselves. Supports are lower risk, your warranty stands without question but it might not work. But the general consensus is re-padding works if you use the right pads, and you apply them well.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Are you using the right size pads?

I am sure, because I did the repadding the first time round and fixed the card ( so it ran 2c -8c cooler on the T Junction). But I did not screw in the GPU Core screws tightly so GPU core went hotter by 8c.

So I opened the card up again and tightened the the screws on the GPU core. I noticed some pads were really smudged and others normal, but on closing the card it now jumps to 110c now on the T Junction after 5minutes of gaming. But the core temps are normal.

Maybe the pads have smudged.

Associate
I am sure, because I did the repadding the first time round and fixed the card ( so it ran 2c -8c cooler on the T Junction). But I did not screw in the GPU Core screws tightly so GPU core went hotter by 8c.

So I opened the card up again and tightened the the screws on the GPU core. I noticed some pads were really smudged and others normal, but on closing the card it now jumps to 110c now on the T Junction after 5minutes of gaming. But the core temps are normal.

Maybe the pads have smudged.

The card is not bricked.
You just need to use proper thermal pads and stop pretending the card is a sex toy. Thermal pads do not expand back to shape when compressed. This is basic physics. Some pads may expand back very slightly but thermal pads are not meant to be re-used. They are designed to conform to shape of the two surfaces. If you mount a card, then squeeze it unnaturally, then release it, that's like trying to re-use pads after opening the card once. This is a PEBKAC problem.

Read my post about what pads to buy for repad. Also make sure you tighten down the X-bracket screws firmly. Tighten them down to full resistance where they no longer turn. You will NOT break the PCB. The screws themselves mechanically will stop. But don't super overtighten or you can rip the heads off.

Remove the SLI cover before repasting or repadding (NVLink whatever).

Use 1.5mm Gelid Extreme pads on the GPU Front VRAM.
Use 2.0mm Gelid Extremes on the GPU front Left/right/single chip VRM. (the single chip VRM may be easy to miss, its right next to the right side main VRM strip).
This will require 1 pack of 80mm * 40mm * 1.5mm Gelid Extreme and 1 pack of 2.0mm. Please make sure when you do the left side VRM's that the pads do NOT overlap on the large square SMD's just to the left of the VRM's.
So trim them properly.

Use thermal paste: SYY 157, Thermalright TFX, FuzeIce Plus, Alseye T9+ Platinum, Zezzio 14.3 w/mk thermal paste (protip: this is either identical to SYY-157 or TFX), or Kryonaut Extreme paste (NOT Kryonaut).

For the backplate, so you will never squeeze anything again, use 2mm Gelid Extreme (2 packs) for VRAM back, and PCB hotspots. Or 2mm Gelid Ultimates, either one.
This will require 2 packs of Extremes or Ultimates. You may be able to use the leftovers of the VRM pad pack if you use extremes but I would just buy two more packs and keep that VRM pack for the future (since if you cut really well you should be able to do the VRMs twice (both sides) with one pack.

Tighten the X bracket fully. (Torx T6)

Tighten the I/O plate but don't overdo it (Torx T8)
Tighten the backplate screws (torx T5 and Phillips) but don't overtorque.

Permabanned
The card is not bricked.
You just need to use proper thermal pads and stop pretending the card is a sex toy. Thermal pads do not expand back to shape when compressed. This is basic physics. Some pads may expand back very slightly but thermal pads are not meant to be re-used. They are designed to conform to shape of the two surfaces. If you mount a card, then squeeze it unnaturally, then release it, that's like trying to re-use pads after opening the card once. This is a PEBKAC problem.

Read my post about what pads to buy for repad. Also make sure you tighten down the X-bracket screws firmly. Tighten them down to full resistance where they no longer turn. You will NOT break the PCB. The screws themselves mechanically will stop. But don't super overtighten or you can rip the heads off.

Remove the SLI cover before repasting or repadding (NVLink whatever).

Use 1.5mm Gelid Extreme pads on the GPU Front VRAM.
Use 2.0mm Gelid Extremes on the GPU front Left/right/single chip VRM. (the single chip VRM may be easy to miss, its right next to the right side main VRM strip).
This will require 1 pack of 80mm * 40mm * 1.5mm Gelid Extreme and 1 pack of 2.0mm. Please make sure when you do the left side VRM's that the pads do NOT overlap on the large square SMD's just to the left of the VRM's.
So trim them properly.

Use thermal paste: SYY 157, Thermalright TFX, FuzeIce Plus, Alseye T9+ Platinum, Zezzio 14.3 w/mk thermal paste (protip: this is either identical to SYY-157 or TFX), or Kryonaut Extreme paste (NOT Kryonaut).

For the backplate, so you will never squeeze anything again, use 2mm Gelid Extreme (2 packs) for VRAM back, and PCB hotspots. Or 2mm Gelid Ultimates, either one.
This will require 2 packs of Extremes or Ultimates. You may be able to use the leftovers of the VRM pad pack if you use extremes but I would just buy two more packs and keep that VRM pack for the future (since if you cut really well you should be able to do the VRMs twice (both sides) with one pack.

Tighten the X bracket fully. (Torx T6)

Tighten the I/O plate but don't overdo it (Torx T8)
Tighten the backplate screws (torx T5 and Phillips) but don't overtorque.

Thanks for reassurance it is not bricked. l will try that again today and update.

Soldato
The GPU brace support off the bay (as suggested by Mushta earlier in this thread) arrived today so I've set it up under my 3090 with a very conservative amount of pressure. GPU stress testing wuing Quake II RTX demo (the best stress test) - doing this has not lowered Vram temps or had an adverse effect on core temp (ie no change for either).......... so......

1. Either I'm not applying enough pressure with it?
2. It's not in the right location on the card?
3. A combination of 1 and 2?
4. I don't need to do it anyway for my card?
5. It's all ********?

Thoughts?

Associate
OP
The GPU brace support off the bay (as suggested by Mushta earlier in this thread) arrived today so I've set it up under my 3090 with a very conservative amount of pressure. GPU stress testing wuing Quake II RTX demo (the best stress test) - doing this has not lowered Vram temps or had an adverse effect on core temp (ie no change for either).......... so......

5. It's all ********?

Thoughts?

I would say 4. Your first post on this thread says in Quake RTX the VRAM doesn't go past 98, with fans at 60-70 %. Seems pretty good so I don't really know what you are trying to achieve?

Soldato
I would say 4. Your first post on this thread says in Quake RTX the VRAM doesn't go past 98, with fans at 60-70 %. Seems pretty good so I don't really know what you are trying to achieve?

Possibly, I hope it's #4 anyway.

What I'm trying to achieve? Lower Vram temps obviously, with a potentially very easy fix that doesn't involve opening up the card and risking warranty.

I should point out that 98 degrees is when running my most conservative undervolt on the card which is 0.8v at 1725 clock speeds. If I run the card at stock for example the Vram temps are obviously higher.
The Quake 2 RTX demo is an extreme case though and does not represent normal gaming, even other RTX games, so most of the time VRam temps aren't really a problem for my card especially as I always run undervolted now. But, I always like lower temps so a cheap, quick and 'non invasive' solution was worth a shot....

Soldato
I thought the voltage is just the core?
Nothing to do with vram.
The only difference would be the heat generated by the core (with extra voltage) conducting towards the memory.

I'm going to have a go at repadding mine this afternoon, and repasting the core, hopefully to get temps down. They aren't 'that' high, but I feel they are high enough that I'm prepared to open up the card. Core gets to 71C at 50%fan with memory peaking at 96C.

Last edited:
Permabanned

5. It's all ********?

Thoughts?

Its number 5.

Associate
OP
Possibly, I hope it's #4 anyway.

What I'm trying to achieve? Lower Vram temps obviously, with a potentially very easy fix that doesn't involve opening up the card and risking warranty.

I should point out that 98 degrees is when running my most conservative undervolt on the card which is 0.8v at 1725 clock speeds. If I run the card at stock for example the Vram temps are obviously higher.
The Quake 2 RTX demo is an extreme case though and does not represent normal gaming, even other RTX games, so most of the time VRam temps aren't really a problem for my card especially as I always run undervolted now. But, I always like lower temps so a cheap, quick and 'non invasive' solution was worth a shot....

Have you tried a small fan and heatsink? This wipes another 4-5 C from my vram temp. Cost me under £10.

Soldato
Did you not look at TROH done by the Man of honour ?
You also need to understand that dust can build up and block up the heatsink reducing thermals.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-ampere-rtx-3090-owners-thread.18898762/page-126

Right I was confused because you just posted this for today's drop of 60ti and 3070 Fe

OMG it has been dispatched at 1pm today :cry:. Now that is how to do sell!
Purchased at 12:29pm and Dispatch at 1pm. Thats just crazy fast! I would definitely purchase more products. Only thing that beats that is OcUKs Free postage ;)

Last edited: Today at 13:17

Back
Top Bottom