First VR headset/experience!

Soldato
OP - I'd advise Reverb G2 all day. Was/ is my first VR headset so quite an entry. I think it's superb value and is the best quality to money ratio by far (and is on offer at the moment!) I run a 3090 with 11700 and it does very very well.

I wouldn't touch a Quest 2 but that's because I loathe bookface and would never contribute a bean to such an outfit.

EDIT - saw you bought a Quest 2. Muppet. Ah well.

It's generally got a smaller sweet spot than quest 2, better resolution but not by much, worse tracking, not wireless and not standalone. If you don't want Facebook then that's fine, but if you've no issue with facebook, then quest 2 is by far and away the best value proposition, with Index probably still being the top of the line if you're happy to spend money.

Permabanned
OP
OP - I'd advise Reverb G2 all day. Was/ is my first VR headset so quite an entry. I think it's superb value and is the best quality to money ratio by far (and is on offer at the moment!) I run a 3090 with 11700 and it does very very well.

I wouldn't touch a Quest 2 but that's because I loathe bookface and would never contribute a bean to such an outfit.

EDIT - saw you bought a Quest 2. Muppet. Ah well.

So you're calling me a muppet for buying it?

Soldato
So you're calling me a muppet for buying it?

Yes. Lighten up fella only joshing, enjoy your purchase. VR is a definite new leap and league of gaming for me after all these years, and the headsets out now and coming soon are really taking off.

But, regardless of gaming fun, Zuckerborg (not a typo) is undeniably a massive ****, and bookface is a massive **** that I will have no part in. Each to their own.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
First impressions...

Love it. Played 2 hours of Half life last night after work and I was engrossed with my slack jawed mouth open as I walked around and took in all the things happening in the world. I think I was using smooth locomotion (the one where the left stick moves you forward) and had zero problems with balance or weirdness. I picked up the Newzerol head strap and that comes tomorrow as I found a sweet spot for clarity and focus but it does tend to slip after a while. I can see me picking up the Index at some point as Im lucky enough (depends how you look at it as divorce got me it) to have a big square room in my house thats not being used at all so I can feel the benefit of it.

Soldato
First impressions...

Love it. Played 2 hours of Half life last night after work and I was engrossed with my slack jawed mouth open as I walked around and took in all the things happening in the world. I think I was using smooth locomotion (the one where the left stick moves you forward) and had zero problems with balance or weirdness. I picked up the Newzerol head strap and that comes tomorrow as I found a sweet spot for clarity and focus but it does tend to slip after a while. I can see me picking up the Index at some point as Im lucky enough (depends how you look at it as divorce got me it) to have a big square room in my house thats not being used at all so I can feel the benefit of it.

Ah a dedicated VR room! The dream!

I recently got my first VR (last week, quest 2) and am really enjoying it, but i need a bit more time to play some stuff.

It works well with my PC though, just need to wait to payday to try get some good games for it now!

Soldato
First impressions...

Glad you enjoyed it. A headstrap that keeps the headset in the right position will make a huge difference to your experience.

But, I wouldn't buy a Valve Index now at this stage. I will be extremely surprised if there aren't newer and better options out next year. But, The main reason I wouldn't get an Index is because it's not wireless.

Permabanned
OP
Glad you enjoyed it. A headstrap that keeps the headset in the right position will make a huge difference to your experience.

But, I wouldn't buy a Valve Index now at this stage. I will be extremely surprised if there aren't newer and better options out next year. But, The main reason I wouldn't get an Index is because it's not wireless.

I think Im saying the Index as at this point its what is out there. Its going to be next year before I make the decision so we shall see.

Associate
I think Im saying the Index as at this point its what is out there. Its going to be next year before I make the decision so we shall see.
Yeah I agree that the Index wil probably (hopefully) be old news soon. It's already behind in terms of resolution compared to the Quest 2, Reverb G2 and HTC headsets and next year is supposed to be when the psvr 2 releases which will also have quite a higher res panel. So yeah hopefully there will be an Index 2 or something that is wireless and higher end :D

Permabanned
OP
Only downside is it will not connect via the link cable at all now. Used to but wont do it. Tried reinstalling it and all sorts and no joy. If Im using air drop or virtual desktop do I even need to ever hardwire it to my PC? It connects to side quest using the same cable though?

Soldato
Only downside is it will not connect via the link cable at all now. Used to but wont do it. Tried reinstalling it and all sorts and no joy. If Im using air drop or virtual desktop do I even need to ever hardwire it to my PC? It connects to side quest using the same cable though?

You have to turn off Air link on the PC and in the Quest 2 to connect via cable. IF Airlink is enabled, Link cable is disabled.

Soldato
You have to turn off Air link on the PC and in the Quest 2 to connect via cable. IF Airlink is enabled, Link cable is disabled.

Yes this is helpful advice that I figured out myself the other day.

Airlink on means only connects via Airlink even with the cable plugged in
Airlink off allows PC link option to pop up when connecting the cable.

Associate
That explains that one then doesnt it!

As I mentioned though, with virtual desktop and air link...is there even a point to hardwiring it now?
I guess it depends on your experience with air link/vd and if you think the experience compares to wired. If so then just keep using that as obviously wireless freedom is a big plus!

Permabanned
OP
I guess it depends on your experience with air link/vd and if you think the experience compares to wired. If so then just keep using that as obviously wireless freedom is a big plus!

Cool. TBH Ive not not noticed any difference at all between wired and virtual desktop and my wifi is pretty good so thats the cable back in the box and put away I reckon.

Permabanned
OP
Just played maybe 2 hours of Half life and Im still totally blown away. One thing that weird though is the floaty feeling I get when I take it off and get used to real life again. Its almost a dizzy feeling trying to re-train your body to actual real world physics but Im sure it will pass. When I reach out I keep thinking I will see the guardian grids haha.

Still just in awe of the game and its world and when I played HL2 back in 2006 I never would have imagined the next time I picked up in this world Id be running around in a virtual reality version of it!

Soldato
Just played maybe 2 hours of Half life and Im still totally blown away. One thing that weird though is the floaty feeling I get when I take it off and get used to real life again.

Yeah, real life sucks.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Associate
I've never tried Alyx. Can't handle anything even vaguely scary on a flat screen let alone in VR. :(

Also, I never even bought a cable, wireless does it all for me. I did buy a dedicated router for it though.

Associate
Just played maybe 2 hours of Half life and Im still totally blown away. One thing that weird though is the floaty feeling I get when I take it off and get used to real life again. Its almost a dizzy feeling trying to re-train your body to actual real world physics but Im sure it will pass. When I reach out I keep thinking I will see the guardian grids haha.

Still just in awe of the game and its world and when I played HL2 back in 2006 I never would have imagined the next time I picked up in this world Id be running around in a virtual reality version of it!
Nice! Yeah the intro of Alyx is really something the first time you experience it. Well and it continues to be the second and third times tbf. Seeing the strider, well, stride over you is awe inspiring and then there are many more moments like that through the game. You're in for a treat and as you're good with the wireless quality you get to experience it free of cables :D

Back
Top Bottom