Upgrading advice.

Associate
I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU, motherboard and cooler. Yet want know if did would I need to reinstall windows? Or could I just plug and play my SSD in that has windows on it?

Money a little tight at just over 700 pounds and I was looking at a i9 11900k with a comparable motherboard cooler would be NZXTKraken X53
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming Intel Z490 LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard

(Currently I have a )

i7 6700k cooled by a h45 by corsair on a Asus m110-a mother board.

Man of Honour
11900k is to costly 5800x makes more sense along with a b550 or x570 motherboard.

Win 10 you should be able to plug in your ssd and reactvate Windows but i prefer a fresh install.

Soldato
Forget intel atm.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £618.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

If your ram is below 3200mhz speed consider upgrading the ram as well as the 5800x like 3200mhz with tight timings or 3600mhz ram for best performance.

Total: £88.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Going from intel to amd I would definatly do a fresh install.

Associate
either above(nice, though if you want some rgb, you can get the ram with rgb for a little more )or wait for intel 12th gen...not that far away now I think.

Total: £107.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

OCuk didn't have the Z490h, but below is similar mobo is similar pricing to the one you wanted online. how where you going to get it for £700 may i ask? or was it more a wish list:) or am I looking at the wrong thing.
Total: £979.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

If you want similar cpu to the above below, you could go from 5800x to 5900x also, though if just gaming, don't really see need, but you do get 12 cores instead of 8 if you're using your pc for work other than gaming
Total: £508.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Soldato
Money a little tight at just over 700 pounds and I was looking at a i9 11900k with a comparable motherboard cooler would be NZXTKraken X53
So you're going to waste that tight money to one of the worst Intel flagships ever...
(without adequate cooler)

AMD basically owns high end now in both performance and energy efficiency.

Associate
OP
cart
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/checkout/cart

Associate
When you gonto checkout(your basket) , on desktop, you will see everything there with a total.. In bottom right you will see a little box saying BBCODE. It's right next to button to empty basket.
When you click on tgat a window will open with a whole load of text... Copy the lot, then go to dialogue box in forum and paste... Then in top right there's a button looks like a page with top left corner missing and bottom right looks like a Y ot end of spanner(on my phone my eyesight not good enough ).. Click that and text will change ... Once that is done bottom left of dialogue box will be a button to use rich text.. That will then turn text to look like your basket, with the pics of everything you have chosen... Hope that makes sense

Associate
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-intel-core-i7-11700k

Read article. In short, concludes the 5800x is a better cpu than the 11700k. uses far less power so creates a lot less heat as is more efficient. Also says as intel chips draw more power, the mobo's need to be beefier to handle the extra power that goes thru them so you need to spend more on comparable mobo's so and slight saving you make on the cpu will be lost on the mobo(like for like).
At the end then goes into upgradeability, so with intel, your only future upgrade is the 8 core 11900k and that's it..any futre cpu will require a new motherboard
With the AMD 5800x, you have the 12 core 5900x or 16 core 5950x to upgrade to. There's a possibility that amd will release a 3d Vcache version on the cpu's also giving another 15% performance though not confirmed as yet

you can get the 5800x for £350, and pair it with X570 tomahawk for £179(will give you wifi 6 on board and nvme slots will both be pcie4), or drop to B550 Tomahawk, where 2nd nvme is pcie3 only and you loose wifi6, but it's £129 and can easily handle any future cpu upgrade. Or if you like gigabyte, you can get the new X570S boards that do away with the onboard chipset fan...they have a preorder for one at £179 (no wifi), and they have another with it, but can't remeber price at mo..can look if you like, but you seem set on intel?

Soldato
what I'm comfortable with.
You also comfortable with criminal corporations?
Intel didn't get into its position just by law abiding means and certainly by fair competition.
https://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest/intel-and-the-x86-architecture-a-legal-perspective

With its brand and fashion overpricing not enough for full load heat output of Intel's space heater:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-11700k-cpu-review/3

Associate
OP
You also comfortable with criminal corporations?
Intel didn't get into its position just by law abiding means and certainly by fair competition.
https://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest/intel-and-the-x86-architecture-a-legal-perspective

With its brand and fashion overpricing not enough for full load heat output of Intel's space heater:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-11700k-cpu-review/3

I more fermiluler with Intel as beand as it were. I watched that video and rethink my choice of CPU. I want pick something in the 11gen dew having that a few generations then my current CPU i7 6700k.

So please forgive me, for lack of knowledge. Hence why im asking. :)

Associate
just wait for 12 gen if wanting to upgrade to intel...last bit I read was around Nov 5th, so not that far away...and if preorders go up for new mobo etc, I wouldn't wait if that's the way you want to go. i reckon they'll be out of stock as always have people waiting for the best new gear

Associate
OP
just wait for 12 gen if wanting to upgrade to intel...last bit I read was around Nov 5th, so not that far away...and if preorders go up for new mobo etc, I wouldn't wait if that's the way you want to go. i reckon they'll be out of stock as always have people waiting for the best new gear

The price would huge on them for both no?

Back
Top Bottom