Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
I tried TB but it couldn't find my sdp and returned no values

Gskill got back to me said the profiles are set by the bios therefore whatever mem I'd grt it would default to one of them...so no better than what I have now which goes against what we've seen with the fury modules going down to 20 but retaining 3200

Caporegime
I tried TB but it couldn't find my sdp and returned no values

Gskill got back to me said the profiles are set by the bios therefore whatever mem I'd grt it would default to one of them...so no better than what I have now which goes against what we've seen with the fury modules going down to 20 but retaining 3200

Not sure what Gskill mean. An AMD laptop will run at the fastest JEDEC profile that it supports. The profiles are programmed onto the RAM by the manufacturer.

My HyperX arrived so will pop it in later. That definitely will do CL20 on the 5 Pro.

It's a shame AMD aren't pushing low latency support heavily. There's clearly significant performance to be had on Zen 3 mobile from lower latencies.

Soldato
Not sure what Gskill mean. An AMD laptop will run at the fastest JEDEC profile that it supports. The profiles are programmed onto the RAM by the manufacturer.

My HyperX arrived so will pop it in later. That definitely will do CL20 on the 5 Pro.

It's a shame AMD aren't pushing low latency support heavily. There's clearly significant performance to be had on Zen 3 mobile from lower latencies.

Same. Felt fobbed off by Gskill. Wouls.be great to see yours in action. The 3200 cl16 16gb from Gskill have just come back in to stock. £30 cheaper than the 32gb fury however if they don't work I've pretty much swapped like for like therfore much rather go for something I know will be better all round.

From what I gather the ryzen relies heavily on good memory so it's a shocker they aren't doing more with it. :(

Soldato
Hi. Did you ever get it running in anything other than cl22 or is that it now. Did you see any difference in speed/latency and the change worth it?

Cheers

I saw a boost from going dual rank, but the ram is stuck at CL22 unfortunately until the bios is unlocked or a workaround found.

Caporegime
Again cheers. That was my worry. I have searched, will do so again. Can i ask a favour? When you get you memory will you post up your CPU-Z results so i can see what should be expected? If g.skill is going to 22 then its the KFI for me. Cheers.

PS: Is it the discussion from a year ago? Only I've also read the 5 series doesn't act the same as 4 series AMD laptop chips. I've also read that AMD is ready to open up memory profiles in BIOS for their laptops as well. Might be a game changer if so.

Just to update, the Fury Impact works fine at CL20 and mine is dual rank also.

Associate
Received my second L5P today, in few hours will start this puppy up. Still have the first one, with the dead pixels and odd fan noise from CPU fan. I`ll make decision wich one to keep, I can live with the first one if the second is even worse, as the perfomance is insane.

And tomorrow I will get my Kingston Fury CL20 Dual rank memory.

Associate
Received my second L5P today, in few hours will start this puppy up. Still have the first one, with the dead pixels and odd fan noise from CPU fan. I`ll make decision wich one to keep, I can live with the first one if the second is even worse, as the perfomance is insane.

And tomorrow I will get my Kingston Fury CL20 Dual rank memory.

So second one... No dead pixel, buuuut huge amount of blacklight bleed from lower bezel. When I looked close, I was shocked that lower bezel was loose from the screen. Like wtf is going on? Then opened laptop to change the memory, There should be warranty void sticker on one screw (as my first pro had) and on this one this sticker is being removed, I can see it from a little piece left over and screw looks like its been handled pretty ruff. So I am sure that this laptop was sent back and it has been repaired. That explains poorly assembled screen.

I am stressed out to be honest. WHat a mess it is. Don`t know what to do next. Should I order third one or just get some other brand/model.

To all who have changed the thermal paste. When I first got the L5P temps where fine, but I was keen to replace paste for Kryonaut. What I saw was about 10 degrees higher temps. So I was sure I made some bad job replacing paste, but no. Changed paste 5 more times, no luck. Still higher temps than stock.
So now when I got second L5P I did CPU stress tests etc with stock thermal paste and temps where really good. Cinebench R23 highest was about 82 degrees.
After I saw that this second one is with defective screen I decided to try again to replace the paste, so I can see if I get worse temps again (what to lose here, sending it back anyway). Just to note, stock paste was really dry and was stuck to CPU and GPU heatsinks. Same as the first one.
So I did the paste change. And again I can see Cinebench temps at high 91 degrees, plus 10 degrees from stock.

My conclusion for thermal paste change is, just don`t do it. I don`t know what thermal paste they are using, but it is intentionally dry and stucked to CPU and GPU to get best contact etc.

Never ever have I seen this kind of thermal solution used with laptops. But if I could get this same paste from somewhere, I would be happy to test again.

Last edited:
Associate
So second one... No dead pixel, buuuut huge amount of blacklight bleed from lower bezel. When I looked close, I was shocked that lower bezel was loose from the screen. Like wtf is going on? Then opened laptop to change the memory, There should be warranty void sticker on one screw (as my first pro had) and on this one this sticker is being removed, I can see it from a little piece left over and screw looks like its been handled pretty ruff. So I am sure that this laptop was sent back and it has been repaired. That explains poorly assembled screen.

I am stressed out to be honest. WHat a mess it is. Don`t know what to do next. Should I order third one or just get some other brand/model.

To all who have changed the thermal paste. When I first got the L5P temps where fine, but I was keen to replace paste for Kryonaut. What I saw was about 10 degrees higher temps. So I was sure I made some bad job replacing paste, but no. Changed paste 5 more times, no luck. Still higher temps than stock.
So now when I got second L5P I did CPU stress tests etc with stock thermal paste and temps where really good. Cinebench R23 highest was about 82 degrees.
After I saw that this second one is with defective screen I decided to try again to replace the paste, so I can see if I get worse temps again (what to lose here, sending it back anyway). Just to note, stock paste was really dry and was stuck to CPU and GPU heatsinks. Same as the first one.
So I did the paste change. And again I can see Cinebench temps at high 91 degrees, plus 10 degrees from stock.

My conclusion for thermal paste change is, just don`t do it. I don`t know what thermal paste they are using, but it is intentionally dry and stucked to CPU and GPU to get best contact etc.

Never ever have I seen this kind of thermal solution used with laptops. But if I could get this same paste from somewhere, I would be happy to test again.

Damm sorry to hear you are having issues with your second model, nothing worse than getting a new product and its just not up to par. If you really want/like the 5 pro i would say go for it again and maybe from a different store or etailer. There is a few more laptop models out there which are priced decent if you decide to go else were.

Associate
955CCCDE-96D6-40B1-BDCC-78768458645B.jpeg

Look at that mess!

A421EF28-7571-439E-BA82-4514C8267FBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom