• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
How do these heat sinks fit on to the SSDs? Do you have to faff about with thermal paste like you do with CPUs?

Mine had a thermal pad and metal clips or rubber bands to keep it together, the metal clips are the better option imho. No danger of snapping over time.

My drive clocked in at 6548.262 MB/s

In a few years hopefully prices come down and a 4TB won't be crazily priced.

02.jpg

Soldato
PS5 has two small negative air channels. It relies on the fan drawing air over the channels to cool the ssd. It’s not the greatest of solutions so can see why a heatsink is recommended.

In my pc which is a define R4 case, my nvme which isnt even one of these new super duper pcie4 ones (970 ev0), was idling in the 60s, and hitting mid 70s just from moderate load. Since I added a fan blowing in from side of case directly in its path, i dropped 20 or so degrees.

So I am not sure why there has always been assumptions in a PC no heatsink is needed, to me its the drive manufacturers cheaping out.

To me its absolutely no surprise this has come to light in a ps5 where the airflow would be even worse.

Don
I'm one of those people that deletes a game the minute I'm done with it so a M.2 500gb drive is more than sufficient for me as an upgrade. What are the prices looking for one of these? I've deleted COD so blessed with space at the moment.

Associate
Finally managed to get a pre order in for a ps5! had a look online at game in the morning and as expected the site crashed, I was out shopping and popped into game for a browse and out of interest asked would they have any stock and to my surprise they said yes they are getting a delivery this Friday (no digital ones only the disk) so I thought sod it I'm having one I've waited nearly a year with no luck

Soldato
I assumed he meant one that cones with it, rather than one that is permanently attached. I'd have thought normal mobos would take them though- normal as in standard atx.

Lots of motherboards come with built-in heatsinks for the M.2 slots. Plenty of SSDs on the market have the option to include a heatsink, there's really no need for them to come with one as standard, it would just push prices up needlessly.

Soldato
I'm one of those people that deletes a game the minute I'm done with it so a M.2 500gb drive is more than sufficient for me as an upgrade. What are the prices looking for one of these? I've deleted COD so blessed with space at the moment.
I was looking at them earlier and the SN850 is around £90 for 500GB. I think I'm with you play it delete it so an extra 500 should be plenty for me too.

Soldato
PS5 has two small negative air channels. It relies on the fan drawing air over the channels to cool the ssd. It’s not the greatest of solutions so can see why a heatsink is recommended.

To be fair they don't just recommend one, they require it:
Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink and a heat transfer sheet.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

I'm curious to see more testing done of that Sabrent one posted earlier that replaces the bay cover, could be a great solution if executed properly.

Back
Top Bottom