What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
This is something I find difficult to reconcile mentally - these kind of vehicles the experience between a decent power 6 cylinder and these far more eco-friendly 2-2.5L pushed to the edge of their capibility 4 pots is so different. In that respect will be nice when proper electric variants are reasonably priced and reasonably viable especially as the power delivery tends to compliment their use well - but currently you are looking well north of 100K for the conversion alone never mind the practicalities. I've not had a chance to investigate the hybrid variant.
People have been saying 4 pots are at their limit for decades. The reality is that Mercedes are switching their entire fleet to 4 pot turbos because they have lots more to give. You only have to look at the Lotus Emira numbers to see that!

I agree the delivery of the power is entirely different in a V6 diesel though.

Man of Honour
People have been saying 4 pots are at their limit for decades. The reality is that Mercedes are switching their entire fleet to 4 pot turbos because they have lots more to give. You only have to look at the Lotus Emira numbers to see that!

I agree the delivery of the power is entirely different in a V6 diesel though.

I don't quite mean it in that way - but the 4 pot sounds and feels like it is doing a lot more work for the same effect and you get the impression they are pushed to their limits and might give up (even if it isn't true) in situations the V6 just effortlessly powers through. If like myself you use the vehicle for a range of uses, rather than just around the farm or whatever, the smoothness and response of the V6 takes a bit of the edge off as they aren't exactly the most refined vehicles in the first place in terms of ride, etc. even the higher end stuff like the new Defenders.

EDIT: That isn't to say 4 pots as a whole are tapped out but you do feel like the variant used in some of these vehicles is being pushed to the limits of its specification to make them work in that vehicle vs with the V6s being comfortable within their limits.

Soldato
Sold it to a collector who paid me 3x what I paid for it, so I’m overall quite happy. Once I’ve finished my current projects I think I’ll look for another one, or maybe a W216 CL.

Had to get one last photo….

Soldato
I don't quite mean it in that way - but the 4 pot sounds and feels like it is doing a lot more work for the same effect and you get the impression they are pushed to their limits and might give up (even if it isn't true) in situations the V6 just effortlessly powers through. If like myself you use the vehicle for a range of uses, rather than just around the farm or whatever, the smoothness and response of the V6 takes a bit of the edge off as they aren't exactly the most refined vehicles in the first place in terms of ride, etc. even the higher end stuff like the new Defenders.

EDIT: That isn't to say 4 pots as a whole are tapped out but you do feel like the variant used in some of these vehicles is being pushed to the limits of its specification to make them work in that vehicle vs with the V6s being comfortable within their limits.
Yep a lot of these 4 potters are on their limits and will be shot by 100k probably if driven hard... small engines and turbos... mmmm... never gonna make 200k miles lol Most people don't care...

is it the new Bronco with the appalling ecoboost nonsense... 2 litre, with 260bhp? Can't remember the exact figures but it'll be a gonna within 100k...

Soldato
Interesting, so even the quality of light was not better (more whiteness?)
Teah the light was white but tbh, it must be the way they were constructed but basically diddly projection onto the road... even messed around with the headlight leveller. Switched them over to the old style but modern and blows the LED's into the weeds. Maybe I just got a crap set but really poor tbh.

Caporegime

I know what you mean to an extent, but anybody else noticed when you spot an old (say e36) BMW for example trundling around, it’s invariably a 4 pot variant, yes they sold more 318’s than 328’s but, it’s rare that you spot an older car still on the road with the higher end engine option which tells me they must be pretty durable.

Caporegime
I am with Rroff on this. My v6 3.2L diesel just chugs away and unless I am pushing for speed spends most of its life never going above 2500 rpm and sits at motorway speed at less than 1500 rpm. Thats got to be better for the engine long term surely?

Soldato
I am with Rroff on this. My v6 3.2L diesel just chugs away and unless I am pushing for speed spends most of its life never going above 2500 rpm and sits at motorway speed at less than 1500 rpm. Thats got to be better for the engine long term surely?
100%, it's called lazy power mate and it'll run and run probably.

These small engines are just being stressed so much in everything (dependant on the engine and car obviously). The days of having 2nd hand cars and buying them with 100k on them and being fine is gone IMHO... I mean 2.0 litre engines with 300bhp plus in some instances... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know they will NOT last as long as they're on the ragged edge. 1.5/1.6 engines with over 200bhp etc... not for me I'm afraid. Turbo's are great but not great for longevity in the current world and cheap parts.

TBH it wouldn't be a problem if the engine makers used top quality parts, forged internals etc, but we all know the quality is down the pan nowadays so you have that triple whammy of small engines with turbo's... with the cheapest parts the builder can put on them... that's a combo that will never work long term!

OcUK Staff
100%, it's called lazy power mate and it'll run and run probably.

These small engines are just being stressed so much in everything (dependant on the engine and car obviously). The days of having 2nd hand cars and buying them with 100k on them and being fine is gone IMHO... I mean 2.0 litre engines with 300bhp plus in some instances... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know they will NOT last as long as they're on the ragged edge. 1.5/1.6 engines with over 200bhp etc... not for me I'm afraid. Turbo's are great but not great for longevity in the current world and cheap parts.

TBH it wouldn't be a problem if the engine makers used top quality parts, forged internals etc, but we all know the quality is down the pan nowadays so you have that triple whammy of small engines with turbo's... with the cheapest parts the builder can put on them... that's a combo that will never work long term!

GR Yaris will be an interesting one, worlds most powerful 1.6 3cyl engine.
Will they be hitting 100k without rebuilds?
Got one thing going for it, IT IS A TOYOTA!!! :D

Soldato
GR Yaris will be an interesting one, worlds most powerful 1.6 3cyl engine.
Will they be hitting 100k without rebuilds?
Got one thing going for it, IT IS A TOYOTA!!! :D
Yeah... at least with Honda and Toyota they CAN build an engine so if any of them do last it'll be one of these two... but yeah was reading on this one... isn't it upto 268bhp and 272lbs of torque... that's just mental and I still reckon they'll fail... just can't see even Toyota putting in serious internals to handle that... but we shall see. Tell ya what though, that thing will shift, barely any weight in it! Not really read up on the thing, I'd forgotton about it tbh

Last edited:
Caporegime
A lot of assumptions here. The fact they are high power means they are designed for it and material and engineering targets would see most engines outlast the cars.

OcUK Staff
Yeah... at least with Honda and Toyota they CAN build an engine so if any of them do last it'll be one of these two... but yeah was reading on this one... isn't it upto 268bhp and 272lbs of torque... that's just mental and I still reckon they'll fail... just can't see even Toyota putting in serious internals to handle that... but we shall see. Tell ya what though, that thing will shift, barely any weight in it! Not really read up on the thing, I'd forgotton about it tbh

Yes its pretty quick, lightweight, short gearing all helps. I think reliability will be ok, early days yet but a few owners have now over 20,000 miles on them, no issues and a couple of these owners are pushing 300+ horses out of it since delivery and a lot of track days etc.

Toyota also now warrantying the car for ten years, so they seem confident in their car.

We love ours. :)

Soldato
I've just sold it! Bought with 144k on the clock and sold 15 months later to the day on 162k. Been an absolute tank and never let me down after initial maintenance and repairs. Ended up breaking even overall which ain't too bad.

Farewell Bertha. I enjoyed our long rides, your comforting embrace and how you guzzled my wallet.
495oIBB.jpg

OcUK Staff
That in itself is one massive assumption... :)

We are talking about Toyota here, who like Honda have a reputation are extracting big power from small engines with superb reliability, cough Honda S2000 that many owners clock over 200k miles in, an engine that spins to 9000rpm and creates 240HP from a 2l, an engine designed some ten years ago.

Technology moves on and though some manufacturers do get it wrong, cough Porsche they generally get it right, I feel Toyota will be solid and if not the cars come with a ten year warranty now on the basis Toyota service it.

Soldato
Fitted a BT dongle into my '08 RS6 (2G MMi High) so I can use Spotify and get Nav from Google Maps/Waze etc over the stereo rather than listening to the 160GB iPod classic I was using and having to pick out hear the Nav/speed camera stuff over it. I lose a little functionality as the BT dongle doesn't show playlist/song title etc in MMI which iPod did, but I can still make calls etc at the same time as getting Nav commands which mutes Spotify during commands.

Also booked it in for a paint correction/detailing as I don't think it's been wax'd, never mind polished, in the 4 years since I moved to Saudi, just given to the local hand-wash place a few times a year by my Dad.

Soldato
I’m going to wash my cars bonnet in the next day or two starting with a Polar Blast followed by a rinse down with water, then a shampoo wash with a mitt and another rinse then dry with a microfibre towel.

When that’s all done I’m going to wax the bonnet area and buff it with a buffing towel when it’s ready to come off. After this I’m going to rinse the bonnet area with water and hopefully the water will bead on the paints surface due to the wax.

Then I’m going to use my leaf blower to see if it will remove the water. Just waiting for my buffing towel and drying towels to dry as they’ve been through the wash today.

Will make sure I put ear plugs in my ears as the 89 Decibels my leaf blower makes isn’t good for your ears.

Don
We are talking about Toyota here, who like Honda have a reputation are extracting big power from small engines with superb reliability, cough Honda S2000 that many owners clock over 200k miles in, an engine that spins to 9000rpm and creates 240HP from a 2l, an engine designed some ten years ago.

Technology moves on and though some manufacturers do get it wrong, cough Porsche they generally get it right, I feel Toyota will be solid and if not the cars come with a ten year warranty now on the basis Toyota service it.

Designed 10 years ago? You're getting old :D The S2000 was released in 1999, that engine was likely designed 25 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom